"Bang On" ideas?

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.
erdnasephile

"Bang On" ideas?

Postby erdnasephile » April 3rd, 2017, 10:01 am

All:

Thanks to the generosity of a fellow magician, I recently acquired "Bang On" which is clever and practical if you are willing to accept the big constraint.

However, it really is a one off effect and so direct that I don't think it stands well on it's own as published, at least for me.

Therefore, I was wondering if anyone would be willing to discuss the effect with me and perhaps nudge me towards some resources to help develop some ideas for use.

If you are willing to discuss, please PM me, or perhaps we can discuss in this thread without revealing too much?

erdnasephile

Re: "Bang On" ideas?

Postby erdnasephile » April 3rd, 2017, 11:13 am

As a starter, I have researched Denis Behr's rather outstanding Conjuring Archive regarding the principle involved and have found some interesting ideas in "Encyclopedia of Card Magic".

Doomo

Postby Doomo » April 3rd, 2017, 12:09 pm

I have it. But I think I have found my own version using my index to be superior for my own needs.
RFA Productions yeah... It is cool stuff.

www.rfaproductions.com

performer

Postby performer » April 3rd, 2017, 1:31 pm

Oddly enough the expression "Bang on" does not mean "Very Accurate" in grafter's language. In actual fact it means a situation where people are thrusting money upon you right, left and centre. I am beginning to wonder if the inventor of the trick had a cynical sense of humour.

AJM

Postby AJM » April 3rd, 2017, 2:53 pm

At the risk of derailing this thread further, 'bang on' has another definition which I find somewhat ironic given the previous post :

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/diction ... sh/bang-on

Anyways, back to the topic in question, I see this effect has been re-released and would be interested to hear of folks' ideas/thoughts on this.

Cheers

Andrew

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » April 3rd, 2017, 3:20 pm

@erdnasephile - ask Doomo about options.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

performer

Postby performer » April 3rd, 2017, 5:52 pm

AJM wrote:At the risk of derailing this thread further, 'bang on' has another definition which I find somewhat ironic given the previous post :

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/diction ... sh/bang-on

Cheers

Andrew

You have reminded me of another grafter's expression particularly relevant to the Scottish lower classes. That is someone who bangs their gums together too much. We used to say that to people, particularly in Aberdeen who used to attempt to heckle. It was very important that they were put in their place immediately. The precise expression was, "Stop banging your gums together" I far preferred the expression, "I have only two words to say to you. The second one is "off" "

Still, we mustn't go off topic. I suggest we keep to the subject at hand. I made a small educational off hand remark for informational purposes. There really was no need for any further expansion on this.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » April 4th, 2017, 10:39 am

I actually own one of Mr. Miller's fabulous indexes, and highly recommend them.

However, since I have a set of "Bang On", I'm going to take Mr. Lewis' cue and share some preliminary thoughts about how I'm thinking about this effect. One of the choices is to do a version of "Premonition". This would be strong, since the choice of the card to vanish would indeed be completely free (no 101 deck, etc). The vanish could also be quite convincing and open, which would be a decided advantage over some of the Peek deck methods.

However, I also think using "Bang On" this way has a bit of a weak point, since you can't put the card back in the pack for further use after the reveal (which would be logicial), unless you 1) use the Bang On as a closer, or 2) figure out how to put that card to "organic" use in a later effect.

I'd also be curious about how folks have solved the problem of the four kings. I don't like the solution in the package, and have resolved if this ever gets to be a worker for me, I'm either going to make the kings less likely to be chosen with presentation or I'll get another wallet.

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”