Copenetro coin trick

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.
Jonathan Pendragon

Copenetro coin trick

Postby Jonathan Pendragon » May 24th, 2014, 2:36 am

I am performing this effect with Crow Garrett in the Peller Theater in a few weeks. It's an effect I have always loved. My prop belonged to John Daniel and I would like to give the audience more history about the effect, unfortunately I remember little beyond seeing it in the magic catalogs, circa 1960s. Any information would be appreciated.

Tom Stone

Re: Copenetro coin trick

Postby Tom Stone » May 24th, 2014, 3:05 am

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » May 24th, 2014, 4:17 am

Jonathan, You might also check out this thread which you started last year:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=43157&p=290936&hilit=Copenetro#p290936

Jonathan Pendragon

Postby Jonathan Pendragon » May 24th, 2014, 8:34 pm

Yes, I realize I have posted on this before. I started a new post in hopes of catching the eye of someone with more to the story. Kathy Daniel believes that John got this prop from Dante, which I would love to believe as it would make for a great story to tell the audience, especially at the Magic Castle. Dante was Bill Larsen's favorite magician, he named his son Dante, we have a Dante room at the Castle. Dante died in 1955. I think the prop I have is one of Bob Kline's and the dates work, just. Dante didn't retire until the late 40s, that works too, just.

It's my OCD, I research a thing to death and this one has been problematic because of the tight timeline. The Jack Hughes prop looks different, I have seen one in person. I was born in 1953 and got interested in magic circa 60 - 61. As stated, my first memories of the effect are images seen in catalogs in that decade. The storyline of a prop being handed down from magician to magician is a wonderful trope and this would be Dante to John to me, again, of importance in the frame of the Magic Castle history: Irene Larsen was once married to John, I am married to Tom Glover's granddaughter, Bill Larsen was one of my closest friends, it's family. Of course, none of that will be said, only the part about the prop being passed from Dante to John to me, but backstory tends to drive my presentations even if they are unspoken. That my presentation involves a magician I mentor, Crow Garrett, continues the theme.

I don't need to know it's true, only that it was possible, verisimilitude is a wonderful thing when used correctly.

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » May 25th, 2014, 4:02 am

The first thing to do is find out who made your prop. Dante toured the UK before WW2 and immediately after it. If it is Dante's, he may have picked it up then.

Can you post a photo of yours?

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”