Instructions for Paul Fox candy bowl

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.
Jeffrey Cowan
Favorite Magician: Bob Kohler & Tim Conover

Instructions for Paul Fox candy bowl

Postby Jeffrey Cowan » July 17th, 2021, 7:19 pm

Anyone have instructions for a Paul Fox candy bowl that you would email to me? Thanks much.

- Jeffrey
-- Jeffrey Cowan
www.cowan-law.com

Brad Jeffers

Re: Instructions for Paul Fox candy bowl

Postby Brad Jeffers » July 18th, 2021, 1:11 am

For $2 you can get a copy of the instructions from Mickey Hades.

Jeffrey Cowan

Postby Jeffrey Cowan » July 23rd, 2021, 3:00 am

Thanks, Brad -- but alas, I received no response to my order attempt on the Mickey Hades's site. If anyone knows how to separately contact its owner (or has these instructions), please email me. Thanks in advance for all help.
-- Jeffrey Cowan

www.cowan-law.com

Spellbinder

Postby Spellbinder » August 8th, 2021, 7:11 pm

Jim Gerrish has been working on an updated variation of the Candy Bowl trick, and in doing so he dug back into the history of the trick to its origin in the Ball Box (which turns out to be everyone's first trick - the ball and vase). But you can find all its predecessors in Hoffman's 1879 "Modern Magic" book, so that might help. Jim's version won't help because it is performed using a transparent glass candy vase that requires a whole new way to approach the trick. Also, the scarcity of paper hat coils makes the Paul Fox version almost obsolete (unless you like rolling paper coils manually).
Phineas Spellbinder
The Magic Nook

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 8th, 2021, 8:18 pm

Jeffrey Cowan wrote:Thanks, Brad -- but alas, I received no response to my order attempt on the Mickey Hades's site. If anyone knows how to separately contact its owner (or has these instructions), please email me. Thanks in advance for all help.

Best of luck with that.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

JimKane
Favorite Magician: Shimada

Postby JimKane » August 12th, 2021, 3:21 pm

Micky has been having "good days, bad days" for some time; as he is 90 years old now. It's pointless to call the house phone regarding orders, for if the man is up and working, he is working; if he's not, he's not. It may be frustrating, but that's where things are. My best advice is send him a ticker-email every three day or so; and, see if you can catch him on a good day where he is doing emails and pdfs. The last batch of email exchanges and pdfs I received from Micky was on July 14th - if that info helps you. I've gone through stretches where Micky's gone 'radio silent' for the better part of a week or more while doing business with him; but, then he suddenly appears and delivers. This is not unusual; but of course, and sadly, one day that will stop too. Hang in there, and see what happens. Good luck.

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » August 12th, 2021, 9:31 pm

JimKane wrote: he is 90 years old now.
Actually he's 95!

JimKane

Postby JimKane » August 12th, 2021, 10:11 pm

Brad Jeffers wrote:
JimKane wrote: he is 90 years old now.
Actually he's 95!
Correct you are, Brad. I'd love to buy his entire collection of Instruction Sheets, if for no other reason than to keep that end of his business going as a resource for the benefit of researching magicians and collectors-in-need; but, with over 7000 titles in his collection, I couldn't touch it financially. I can only hope that someone will keep it going into the future. Micky's vast storehouse of Instruction Sheets have been invaluable to me in my research. My work would have been severely hampered without access to his files.

Jeffrey Cowan

Postby Jeffrey Cowan » August 28th, 2021, 12:47 pm

JimKane wrote:Micky has been having "good days, bad days" for some time; as he is 90 years old now. It's pointless to call the house phone regarding orders, for if the man is up and working, he is working; if he's not, he's not. It may be frustrating, but that's where things are. My best advice is send him a ticker-email every three day or so; and, see if you can catch him on a good day where he is doing emails and pdfs. The last batch of email exchanges and pdfs I received from Micky was on July 14th - if that info helps you. I've gone through stretches where Micky's gone 'radio silent' for the better part of a week or more while doing business with him; but, then he suddenly appears and delivers. This is not unusual; but of course, and sadly, one day that will stop too. Hang in there, and see what happens. Good luck.

Just seeing this; thanks, Jim!
-- Jeffrey Cowan

www.cowan-law.com

David Ben

Postby David Ben » August 28th, 2021, 2:24 pm

The instructions provided with the apparatus issued by Danny Dew are rather sparse. A full presentation and handling, with a photograph and illustrations is described on pages 66 to 69 of Magic With Faucett Ross, written by Lewis Ganson. It is a terrific book, with lots of great magic, and well worth your time. It should be fairly easy to locate a copy of this book at a reasonable price.

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » August 28th, 2021, 3:20 pm

David Ben wrote:The instructions provided with the apparatus issued by Danny Dew are rather sparse. A full presentation and handling, with a photograph and illustrations is described on pages 66 to 69 of Magic With Faucett Ross, written by Lewis Ganson. It is a terrific book, with lots of great magic, and well worth your time. It should be fairly easy to locate a copy of this book at a reasonable price.

One of my favourite books and unknown by most magicians. I highly recommend this book.

Jeffrey Cowan

Postby Jeffrey Cowan » August 29th, 2021, 7:11 pm

David Ben wrote:The instructions provided with the apparatus issued by Danny Dew are rather sparse. A full presentation and handling, with a photograph and illustrations is described on pages 66 to 69 of Magic With Faucett Ross, written by Lewis Ganson. It is a terrific book, with lots of great magic, and well worth your time. It should be fairly easy to locate a copy of this book at a reasonable price.

Many thanks, David!
-- Jeffrey Cowan

www.cowan-law.com

Jeffrey Cowan

Postby Jeffrey Cowan » August 30th, 2021, 2:21 pm

Update: This weekend I phoned Micky and reached a woman who took a message and invited me to re-send my original email. Micky replied a few hours later, I sent a Paypal payment, and his sent me the instructions this morning. Given that my parents are about Micky's vintage, I surely should have thought much earlier to telephone. Anyway, it did the trick for me; good luck to others who want to reach him too.

Thanks again to everyone for your helpful ideas.

- Jeffrey
-- Jeffrey Cowan

www.cowan-law.com

JimKane

Postby JimKane » August 31st, 2021, 7:55 am

Jeffrey Cowan wrote:Update: This weekend I phoned Micky and reached a woman who took a message and invited me to re-send my original email. Micky replied a few hours later, I sent a Paypal payment, and his sent me the instructions this morning. Given that my parents are about Micky's vintage, I surely should have thought much earlier to telephone. Anyway, it did the trick for me; good luck to others who want to reach him too.

Thanks again to everyone for your helpful ideas.

- Jeffrey

I'm so pleased to read you were able to reach him, and, were able to get the instruction sheet you needed.

Micky is wonderful man and an invaluable resource to magi around the globe. He truly is a one-man magic institution.

Some enterprising person with pockets deeper than my own really needs to investigate making a deal with Micky to acquire his huge 7000+ title instruction sheet library/business for when the time comes - and, before the inevitable sad day occurs.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » September 3rd, 2021, 11:03 am

It might be easier to get in touch with Micky's son, Brian Hades:

http://www.edgewebsite.com/emailedge.html

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 3rd, 2021, 1:10 pm

I've had no luck getting a response from Brian.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”