split manipulation tecnique who created?

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.
marselmarsel
Favorite Magician: hofzinser

split manipulation tecnique who created?

Postby marselmarsel » October 18th, 2018, 1:08 pm

i´m searching about thje creator of the tecnique of split fan of cards in manipulation act, this mean make a fan and slip another when you drop the firth fan, te clasic tecnique, may be thuston makes this tecnique but no shure if is earlier tecnique. Thank you

performer

Re: split manipulation tecnique who created?

Postby performer » October 18th, 2018, 2:06 pm

I swear I read somewhere it was Paul Le Paul. One moment please and I will check.
I have been and I have seen. Alas I was wrong but almost right. He was one of the first to use it professionally but he didn't invent it. He found it described in a British manuscript published it 1916. A vague description but a description nevertheless.

I have no idea which manuscript it was. My psychic powers are limited I am afraid. By all means start an Erdnase type thread about it. At least it might fill up 200 or so pages.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 18th, 2018, 8:11 pm

The technique was created by Harmington, who first performed it at the Theater Robert-Houdin. This predates all other references. More can be found in Gaultier's Magic Without Apparatus.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Max Maven

Postby Max Maven » October 19th, 2018, 6:03 am

No, Harmington is credited with having invented the Back Palm, as early as 1895. The origin of the Split Fan (which, of course, makes use of the Back Palm) is subject to multiple claims. Dai Vernon was quite insistent that the Split Fan was invented by a carnival contortionist named Ardo the Frogman.

performer

Postby performer » October 19th, 2018, 8:11 am

It seems this has already been discussed:
viewtopic.php?t=10848

It seems that Richard used to think it was Cardini.
Last edited by performer on October 19th, 2018, 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Q. Kumber

Postby Q. Kumber » October 19th, 2018, 8:12 am

Max Maven wrote: Dai Vernon was quite insistent that the Split Fan was invented by a carnival contortionist named Ardo the Frogman.

Thank you. That's made my day!

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 19th, 2018, 9:24 pm

Sorry, am in Japan and jetlagged. Max is correct.

I don't believe Vernon's story about Ardo the Frog Man.

The most believable credit I have heard is Cardini having invented it. Buckley claims that he came up with it in, I think, Principles and Deceptions.

The notion that Cardini invented it rings true because he does not do what everyone else who followed did. Watch the footage of his act from the late 1950s and you will see what I mean. The idea that everyone who followed him copied what he did without understanding the subtlety of the action and intention also makes sense.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”