Gravity 1/2 Pass

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Brian Rasmussen

Gravity 1/2 Pass

Postby Brian Rasmussen » December 3rd, 2003, 9:31 am

It seems as though the discussion has died down regarding the Paper Engine. Has anybody been using the Gravity 1/2 Pass with success?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Gravity 1/2 Pass

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 3rd, 2003, 9:55 am

One of the problems with the sleight (though not a problem when Aaron does it) is that it requires a grip that is not one I or most people normally use. Add to that the fact that most of us who do the Half Pass have well-practiced techniques we've been using for decades, and it's hard to make the switch.
I'm sure there are people who are using it. Perhaps they'll add their voices to this thread!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

David Mitchell

Postby David Mitchell » December 3rd, 2003, 10:08 am

I use it occasionally. I was having a little trouble learning it from his book, but he helped me a lot when he was up here for a week. It's amazing what a little one on one will do to improve something.

I use it for two effects that I've learned out of the book, and for another "just playing around" type of thing while I am talking to a person.

I like it, but would like to see myself doing more with it.

David.
David Mitchell

Jonathan Levey

Postby Jonathan Levey » December 3rd, 2003, 9:23 pm

I use it for the 'Revolution No 9' routine in the book - great routine... :eek:

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » December 4th, 2003, 9:32 am

I don't use it yet, partly because I can't do it well enough (yet), and partly because I don't have any routines that call for a half-pass.

However I have begun using the basic grip when I do the Midnight shift, and it seems to be helping me make that move cleaner and better covered. The grip is, indeed, not my usual one but so far that doesn't seem to be a problem.

mike cookman

Postby mike cookman » December 4th, 2003, 7:02 pm

I use it for an Aldo Columbini trick, I cant think of the name. It's a revelation of two selected cards that ends up as a sort of in the hands Triumph. It's on one of his videos. Anyway, the grip works out well. And I like Aaron's Simple Sandwich from his book.

Postby Guest » December 6th, 2003, 4:52 pm

Fisher's Gravity Half-pass has made a home for itself in my arsenal of sleights. I feel completely comfortable performing the move under fire. The move is best when reversing the bottom 3/4 to 1/2 of the deck. I find it a bit touchy when using just one card for cover. An exception to this is Revolution No. 9 where the move is performed when there really is no heat on the deck.

One thing I've done is revisit older routines (especially Larry Jenning's material) that incorporated the Christ Twist. In my hands the Christ twist never felt comfortable. I went back and substituted the CHrist twist with the gravity half-pass. Now the Gravity half-pass has brought those routines into the realm of real world performance.

It's a great move, but Roy Walton's Spread half-pass is a powerful tool under the right conditions.

Best regards,
Rich Kameda

Return to “Close-Up Magic”