One Card Changes

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
2061x

One Card Changes

Postby 2061x » December 22nd, 2003, 12:34 pm

I'm looking for any references to a one card change. At the end of a routine I'm working on I'm left with a double card I need to change. I'm looking for alternatives to the snap change, the spin changed detailed in the Earl Nelson issue of Genii, and anything where I have to bring the deck into play. I'm also not very interested in lapping as I perform mainly for friends while sitting on the floor in the middle of the living room.

Any thing else out there? The spin change is beautiful but a bit angly, I'm looking for something I can do surrounded.

I'm not looking for a description of the method (although I would greatly appreciate anyone sharing their knowledge with me) simply a book/video/dvd that I could purchase and learn from.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Carl Mercurio

Re: One Card Changes

Postby Carl Mercurio » December 22nd, 2003, 2:48 pm

Try Ross Bertram or Gene Maze. A lot of good one-card change stuff involves the Tenkai palm, which has an angle problem on one side. Of course, you can always try to control your performing environment a little more for these kinds of things. Like sitting with your back to a wall, or sitting such that it's unlikely anyone will be to one particular side of you, or simply saying to your friends, "hey why don't you come around front for this one so you can see better." And remember, there are tricks for you and the boys at the magic club, and tricks for real people. I have no angle problems when I do walkaround magic surrounded at events here in New York because nothing I choose to do has angle problems. Some stuff works in these environments and some stuff just doesn't. Good luck....

Carl Mercurio

Postby Carl Mercurio » December 22nd, 2003, 2:49 pm

Try Ross Bertram or Gene Maze. A lot of good one-card change stuff involves the Tenkai palm, which has an angle problem on one side. Of course, you can always try to control your performing environment a little more for these kinds of things. Like sitting with your back to a wall, or sitting such that it's unlikely anyone will be to one particular side of you, or simply saying to your friends, "hey why don't you come around front for this one so you can see better." And remember, there are tricks for you and the boys at the magic club, and tricks for real people. I have no angle problems when I do walkaround magic surrounded at events here in New York because nothing I choose to do has angle problems. Some stuff works in these environments and some stuff just doesn't. Good luck....

Dave Shepherd

Postby Dave Shepherd » December 22nd, 2003, 2:55 pm

Anybody use the Palm Change, from Erdnase?

It's very straightforward and relatively angle-proof. (Not absolutely angle-proof, but certainly better than a change that leaves you in Tenkai palm.)

I think it's described in the Legerdemain section.

2061x

Postby 2061x » December 22nd, 2003, 4:03 pm

Carl,

Thanks for the info. I've got Gene Maze's bottom dealing book (whose method I employ) but that's it. Any other stuff out there you can recomend?

As for the Tenkai palm, that's what I'm trying to find an alternative for. I'm simply trying to find another method for when Tenkai won't work.

Dave,

I'll have to check Erdnase. Thanks for the reference.

Mike

magicbar

Postby magicbar » December 22nd, 2003, 7:40 pm

there is the throw change (Jack Merlin). Being as you are in the middle of a living room floor it could work. Essentially. hold the double/throw the other card to the floor while adding extra back to deck. People are disarmed since you let the card leave your hands for them to turnover. If you need more details, email me.

mike cookman

Postby mike cookman » December 22nd, 2003, 11:46 pm

Bill Spooner has a good change in a book called Wonderful Routines of Magic.

Postby Guest » December 23rd, 2003, 8:32 am

Wonderful Routines of Magic - by Ellison Poland, 1969, Billerica, MA, self-published - there was also an addendum to it, circa 1972 - great material and little known to the fraternity at large. It has been the starting point for some great work, and kept an open secret for years - self-published in a limited number, so, it's hard to find. Gene Maze material, the aforementioned Bill Spooner, the infamous "Millikens Transposition", a terrific one coin routine that I have baffled coin men with for years. Get a copy...

Best, PSC

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » December 23rd, 2003, 8:39 am

Originally posted by pchosse:
Wonderful Routines of Magic - by Ellison Poland, 1969, Billerica, MA, self-published - there was also an addendum to it, circa 1972 -
Two addenda, actually.

Matt Field

2061x

Postby 2061x » December 23rd, 2003, 10:36 am

Thanks for all of the info.

Paul and Matt, could you please let me know what are the differences in the two seperate addendum's.

Thanks.

Steve Hook

Postby Steve Hook » December 23rd, 2003, 1:15 pm

The first WROM [1969] is hardcover. Then the author, "Penny" Poland, put out a true "addendum" [1973], which is a paper-cover (perfect bound?)80 page collection of additional material.

WROM, The Second Addendum [1994] is actually a 200+ page hardcover book. Penny just wanted to keep the name going.

Steve H

Postby Guest » January 5th, 2004, 3:24 am

ooh, ooh, ooh! I must add one of my recent favourites: Bill Malone's On the Loose vol. 1 (I believe) has Bill's Favourite Opener - a card is selected and lost in the deck. Performer promises to find the card on the first try, or the volunteer gets $20 (gags ensue).

Spectator puts her hands out in front of her, side by side like a small table. Performer takes the top card off the deck, tells everyone what it is, shows it clearly to the spectators, then places it face down in the spectator's outstretched hands.

But he got it wrong! Oh dear. Are you sure? Of course she's sure - she watched him put it in her hand. She turns it over, only to find it has become her chosen card. (Single card switch)

I loved it the minute I saw it. It gets one of the best reactions I've ever seen for a revelation, it can be done surrounded and needs no lapping or suspicious moves. It's quick and direct, and very little to go wrong with it. I've had people scream and drop the card!

Postby Guest » January 5th, 2004, 3:28 am

I forgot to mention that as it involves a double-card, it would suit your needs. (On the Loose is a video/DVD, in case you're not familiar with it).

Return to “Close-Up Magic”