Ring on Ribbon...

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Jamie Badman

Ring on Ribbon...

Postby Jamie Badman » April 17th, 2003, 4:21 pm

Hi!

I have 'Variation's (where the Clifton Ring Move is described) and I have Jay Scott Berry's CD (a Ring on Ribbon routine). I'm still looking for more finger-ring on ribbon material however; for me the Clifton move is perfect - I love it - I'm trying to find more ring on ribbon moves in the same class. Any recommendations ? Any books that cover similar ?

Thanks for any comments, advice etc!

Jamie.

troublewit

Re: Ring on Ribbon...

Postby troublewit » April 17th, 2003, 5:08 pm

Troy Hooser has some very nice handlings in his book"desTROYers" in which he uses Chinese coins instead of a ring. It includes variations and touches by Clifton, Harvey Rosenthal, and Sol Stone. Jay Sankey has a nice move with a key instead of a ring. I believe this was published in Genii as a routine called "leaving home". Finally, there is a phase for which Troy credits Dave Williamson (who, in turn, credits Bruce Allen). All in all, many nice moves. In addition, I believe you can find nice handlings by Marc DeSouza and Fleishman for Ring on Ribbon. Hope this helps. Christopher
Christopher Klocek
337 N Wood St
Griffith, In 46319
219-765-7123
troublewit@aol.com

Arnie Fuoco

Postby Arnie Fuoco » April 17th, 2003, 6:39 pm

Jamie

There are over 30 moves on Gregory Wilson's video "Ring Leader" from MagicSmith. He uses a finger ring & a velvet cord but most of the moves can be extended to a ribbon.

Arnie
Arnie Fuoco

Raj Madhok

Postby Raj Madhok » April 17th, 2003, 7:07 pm

Jamie,

You may want to check out my "No StRing Attached" in Apocalypse. It's also on Bob Miller's "Relentless Ring and String Routine" video. Bob also published a clever move in MAGIC and on his video called the "Fisherman's Knot".

Jamie Badman

Postby Jamie Badman » April 18th, 2003, 2:07 am

Thanks, guys, for so many references! That's loads for me to hunt down!

Much appreciated!

Jamie.

Postby Guest » March 9th, 2004, 9:48 pm

Originally posted by arnie:
Jamie

There are over 30 moves on Gregory Wilson's video "Ring Leader" from MagicSmith. He uses a finger ring & a velvet cord but most of the moves can be extended to a ribbon.

Arnie
If I am not mistaken this came out a long time ago... however I finally got around to getting it (Shame on me... my loss) This is a great video, and it comes with the props needed to practice. If you don't have it... get it... you will love it and I'm sure you will find at least two ggod methods that will suit you and your abilty. I found four that I can and will do, however everytime I watch it I find another... so what are you waiting for get it.

Ken Sr.

cataquet

Postby cataquet » March 10th, 2004, 3:52 am

An interesting addition to a ring & ribbon routine is the addition of clippo. I can't remember who or where (probably Apocalypse) but basically you prepare the ribbon, and for a finale, you just cut the ribbon to remove the ring and then show the ribbon is restored. Needless to say, the ribbon can't be examined, but if you do a comedic routine, it's very funny. In the context of ring and string, I used to do ring with flash string, and the finale was to have the spectator hold the string, light the string (indirectly with the heat from a lighter not the flame), and catch the ring.

I'll add another voice to the recommendations of Greg Wilson's "Ring Leader" and Troy Hooser's "Chinese Challenge". Ray Grismer also had a video out a while back that had some interesting moves.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”