Double lift mistake

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
castawaydave

Re: Double lift mistake

Postby castawaydave » April 16th, 2008, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted By: Kohoutek
"Try counting down with the left thumb the double at the top left corner and buckle at the front..."

That reminds me:
After thumb-counting 2 cards, rolling thumb, buckling them upward; instead of putting your index finger tip into the gap and manipulating the double from there, you "tap" or push the 2 bowed cards back, injogging them 1/8 or 1/4", then release the pressure that buckled them.
You now have a "get ready" the way a break can be a "get ready" i.e., without fumbling you can pick up the double from the right rear corner, thumb on top/ fingers below and show the face; you can do a double turnover without the worry one might have when doing a "strike" double...and you can do the Dingle dealing-style turnover easier as well, by starting with your right 3rd finger tip on the upper right corner of the double, and your right thumb under the little injog at lower right.

A perfect double any way you want it. ;^D

It follows that "The thumb count, buckle cards, and do something with them move" can be used to facilitate palming of one or more cards.
You thumb count (say 4 Aces), roll thumb to buckle, and with left index finger tap the top of the remainder of the deck, pushing back some of the cards under your 4 Aces, beveling and injogging about 1/3 of the deck. Release pressure. 4 Aces are now forward jogged above that little step.
With deck in hand (as they say) one will see that from there it is easy to palm the Aces by pushing downward with right fingers, as right hand takes deck from left.

I believe I learned the above items from Daryl. Does anybody recognize those tid-bits of close up chicanery?
(The swami sees names in the mists, names like Jennings...Vernon...Marlo...LePaul...)

Glenn Godsey

Postby Glenn Godsey » April 16th, 2008, 11:40 pm

I use the Martin Nash push-off double. It flies by everyone, but it takes a few decades of practice.

Glenn Godsey

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 16th, 2008, 11:42 pm

That link to the video of Charlie Miller on YouTube was interesting for many reasons, but one of them was certainly to watch him do a few different Double Lifts. :)
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Stan Willis

Postby Stan Willis » April 17th, 2008, 8:49 am

The best unpublished double lift I ever saw is in the proud possession of one Billy McDonnell, a quiet little man from Phoenixville,PA. Billy is one hell of an underground cardman who surfaces twice a year at the Bob Little Super Sunday Convention to amaze and amuse us all with his expert cardmanship.
Billy says that he got inspiration for his double lift by studying the double lift section of Ed Marlo's Magazine and is in fact a combination of methodologies published there.

Glenn Bishop

Postby Glenn Bishop » April 17th, 2008, 10:48 am

I like the LePaul Double lift that is in the card magic of LePaul. I use it for both the double and triple lifts. I like it because there is no get ready.

I do it a little different - I use my third (middle) finger. And in the LePaul book - they use the first finger to hit the double lift.

I hope this helps.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”