suggestions...side-slip color change

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Steve Vaught
Favorite Magician: Zabrecky, Giobbi, Kopf, Vigil

suggestions...side-slip color change

Postby Steve Vaught » March 23rd, 2005, 6:25 am

I really enjoy practicing the side-slip color change from the Giobbi course. He gives one routine with a bottom palm and color change that I don't really care for. Would anyone know of a routine using this kind of color change. Also, I am interested to hear people that have used this "in the trenches". Have you had any angle problems. And do you mainly perform this standing up...I hope. All of my work is standing up. So I don't spend time on things requiring me to sit down.

Thank you

ps
I wish we had one section devoted just to the studies of this course. There are so many topical things in these books!

Temperance

Re: suggestions...side-slip color change

Postby Temperance » March 23rd, 2005, 7:25 am

Try slap aces from ECT.

Temperance

Postby Temperance » March 23rd, 2005, 7:25 am

Pretty much everything by Leipzig really.

Postby Guest » March 23rd, 2005, 10:52 am

i enjoy doing color change like an offbeat. a sort of explanation of how the tricks works. Cards are special:
1 : side steal during a cut and change of the card on the face + vernon subletie where spectator think you palmed the faced card, surprised! there's nothing. (easy disparition)
2 : a cut. another card. another change where i show, before, the hand empty.
3 : a cut. another card, side steal + change fingers open. (i say that i saw a magician, a top one doing that fingers open, of course i can't do it...i look surprised: it works!)
4 : double lift of the top card of the deck (another card..) and i put "it" on the palm of the spectator. i do it like i've never tried this. i ask the spectatot to cover the card with his other hand to heat the card. he look at it...
i'm always amazed about their reaction.
people like the idea that magicians have special cards, they are curious. and you offer to share a secret. a privilege.
...but the trick is timed. at the end, cards stay stable.

Steve Vaught
Favorite Magician: Zabrecky, Giobbi, Kopf, Vigil

Postby Steve Vaught » March 28th, 2005, 9:04 am

Thanks for the response.

I hope Jamy Swiss doesn't mind me mentioning this; if you want to SEE s side steal color change, check out the Card-Clinic demo. Wow! I really enjoyed that little glimpse into a card expert. When I first saw it, I was blown away. So I watched it again..."no way"..."he is doing the side steal"...and I was just learning about that in the Giobbi course. Good timing!

I really enjoy the way David Reagal presents his magic. I have one of his videos. Does anyone know if he uses a side steal color change in his books?

Postby Guest » March 28th, 2005, 9:16 am

Steve,
If you thought the video was good, catch the live show! Card Clinic is worth the trip, time and money.

I live in Seattle and have attended two clinics and I would go again.

Don't miss the opportunity to learn from Roberto and Jamy. Just go, you won't regret it.

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » March 28th, 2005, 10:29 am

Steve,
Here's a bit that I use during a multiple selection routine while jazzing...

A selection is on top. Ideally, you know what it is due to a glimpse. You will attempt to cut to the card and miss, then correct the miss by magic. Knowing what the card is allows you to cut more than once if the card is say, the five of diamonds and you cut to the five of hearts...

Table the pack and state that you will attempt to "dead cut" to the selected card. With your left hand pick up about half the pack by the long edges and turn it face up to expose the wrong card.

Pass the pack to the right hand which grabs it by the narrow ends and do the first half of a the side slip color change.

Immediately state that that is 'not a miss' as you reach for the top card of the tabled half with your left hand. Snap that card face up allowing it to be seen... also a miss.

"Ok, that's a miss."

Both hands return to the cards in your hands as you look once again at the first miss. As you lower your shoulders and sigh gently, both hands come apart and you complete the steal.

Exclaim "rats" (or something) as you slap the face of the packet to effect the transformation of the card into the selection.

Pause a beat to allow the change to register and then thumb the selection off the face of the pack and to your right hand, doing a left wrist turn to hide the card that was changed. In a continuing motion pick up the tabled half with the left hand. This places the changed card back in the middle of the pack out of sight.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”