Close up Pad Material?

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
MonkMagic

Close up Pad Material?

Postby MonkMagic » February 4th, 2024, 4:54 pm

Apologies in advance if this doesn’t belong under this forum…
Can anyone recommend a rubber sheet material to make my own close up pad? I’m good with the surface and middle foam layer, but would like a rubber that’s about 1/8 inch thick, but also soft. Neoprene seems like it would be too firm.

Tom Moore

Re: Close up Pad Material?

Postby Tom Moore » February 5th, 2024, 6:11 am

Neoprene is the most common material that's used though normally a thicker piece (6mm - 1/4 inch) backed straight onto your surface material.
"Ingenious" - Ben Brantley: New York Times

thomasmoorecreative

MonkMagic

Postby MonkMagic » February 5th, 2024, 9:17 am

Thanks Tom - I’ll give it a shot then.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » February 7th, 2024, 1:02 pm

Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

MonkMagic

Postby MonkMagic » February 7th, 2024, 7:18 pm

Jon - That’s interesting. I’ve done a bit of learning about the hardness scale of neoprene rubber to be careful to not buy anything too firm. However, the scuba material seems like it may slip on a table. Maybe not though… I’ll think about it.

I used to be a leather craftsman, so making this will be just as fun as using it .

GJohnson

Postby GJohnson » February 9th, 2024, 7:59 am

I read a thread earlier this year that discussed using automobile headliner material glued to neoprene, and when I looked closely at my mat from a popular mat supplier, the top material did remind me of auto headliner.

Of course, the issue becomes executing the gluing and cutting so the mat is uniform (no wrinkles, etc) and the corners are correct.

Once you consider the cost of obtaining material (minimum amount probably being much more than needed), adhesive, and time involved, the price of a mat from a professional fabricator seems pretty reasonable.

MonkMagic

Postby MonkMagic » February 11th, 2024, 2:28 pm

G - absolutely. My favorite beater mats are the magic maker’s mats in the dark green. Wonderfully durable and not a ton of padding. I think the modern luxury mats are way over-built. Besides those my other favorites are Pat’s mats. I just wanted to tinker with a project this spring or summer.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”