A Johnson Products Cup chopped!!!

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Jim Riser

A Johnson Products Cup chopped!!!

Postby Jim Riser » February 28th, 2002, 9:40 pm

One of my customers wanted a Johnson Products Cup converted to a chop cup. For those interested in such things, I have made a web page describing the process. You may see it at: http://www.jamesriser.com/Magic/JohnsonChopped/Cup.html
Enjoy.
Jim ;)

Ian Richards

Re: A Johnson Products Cup chopped!!!

Postby Ian Richards » March 1st, 2002, 7:37 am

Mike Caveney's website (http://www.mcmagicwords.com/) indicates that Johnson Products will soon be releasing a chop cup and brass wand that will match their brass cups. Congratulations on your fine craftsmenship Jim.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » March 1st, 2002, 4:54 pm

Wow what a lot of work on Riser's part to make a JP into a chopper... luckily, I have one made by Johnson (the prototype)... although, unfortunately, all my Johnson cups are early runs and DO NOT have the hallmark.

But they work! :rolleyes:
Stay tooned.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » March 1st, 2002, 4:55 pm

OH, yah... I had figured if I really needed to make a combo set of any cups I would just pour resin into all so they look alike on the inside and magnet in one. But have not done so as I don't need to. ;)
Stay tooned.

Michael Edwards

Postby Michael Edwards » March 2nd, 2002, 1:47 pm

Pete: I believe that there must have been a number of Johnson prototypes that were chopped. I recall JP Jackson getting one of the first sets from Mike Caveney back at the LA Conference on Magic History in 1999 and all three cups were chopped! Oh yes, the hallmark was of interest to JP too -- after all, they're his initials. :)

Michael Edwards

Postby Michael Edwards » March 2nd, 2002, 1:55 pm

Jim: Once again I marvel at your craftsmanship and attention to detail. I'm with Pete. I'd probably have stuck some bubblegum on the inside top of the cup and left it at that ;) Seriously, thank you, not only for continuing to bring such quality to magic apparatus, but also for your willingness to share so much of your knowledge and experience with the magic community. Your website is a great resource. Thanks.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » March 2nd, 2002, 2:09 pm

That was a funny thing at Conf. History.... JP got the cups and while we were fiddling with them "discovered" that all three were CHOPPED... I should have grabbed and kept them, but JP sent them back. Duh... I should go over to JP (I work 10 minutes away) and see what's up.

My new Jumbo Chick cups, in nickle plate ready this coming week. Have sold out Johnny Paul cups and have another order in to factory.

:D
Stay tooned.

Michael Edwards

Postby Michael Edwards » March 2nd, 2002, 2:19 pm

Pete: I remember it well! I tried to get JP to trade the set to me. :(

Steve Hook

Postby Steve Hook » March 2nd, 2002, 6:48 pm

Enjoyed the website tremendously, Jim. Thank you!

Postby Guest » March 2nd, 2002, 8:26 pm

I used to work in a cafe where they had there own custom made coffee cups with their. For about a year I wanted to turn one into a chop cup but I never got a round to it.

I'm sure I could just have sunk in a magnet and re glazed the cup.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”