Standup Card Routines

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

Re: Standup Card Routines

Postby Guest » November 18th, 2003, 10:10 am

Originally posted by Fraser Gould:
Lee,

When I said "sting-less" card to forehead, I was referring to the no-volunteer-on-the-stage version that Mark described.

I did borrow the term "sting" from your post - didn't mean to cause confusion by doing that, but I thought it was an apt description of Mark's routine.

That said, I do like your idea of doing a top change with the card as an extra kicker. I'll be giving it a whirl (with your permission :) ) next time I'm out.

Fraser
By all means, Fraser, be my guest. And I'm sorry I misconstrued your reference to Mark's routine as being a reference to mine.

Easy to do when discussing things in print as opposed to a conversation. No heartburn here on that count at all.

Thanks for the polite response, too!

Regards,

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
http://www.leedarrow.com

Postby Guest » November 18th, 2003, 10:43 am

Mark,

Your undisclosed wonderful trick that seemed "a bit slow and ponderous."

Nap Hand?

0pus

Postby Guest » November 18th, 2003, 11:08 am

I have no idea. I am going to take a nap.

Bob Alan

Postby Bob Alan » November 18th, 2003, 3:42 pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Psychic:
[QB] I swear that I saw another version of this in some book written before 1954.I must check it out.

There is a version of this in MORE CARD MANIPULATION N2 -Jean Hugard: the title is: Poker hand repeat trick by P.W. Miller
You can find it on page 33.
And right, it's before 1954! (1939-40)
Bob Alan ;)

Postby Guest » November 18th, 2003, 8:35 pm

Goede Hemel!
These Belgians are clever! Even if they are not Belgians.

Yes, that was it. It has come back to me now.
I think is was a 6 card repeat thing too with an Osterlind type finish as previously mentioned.
Rhyming patter.

See? Nothing new under the sun.

Even Macdonald's $100 routine had nothing to do with Macdonald except that he performed it. Of course he was a magic pitchman. They are all bloody liars. I should know.

Anyway, the $100 routine was invented by Hofzinser. He called it "Power of Faith"

I bet you Hofzinser never read books written after 1954.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » November 18th, 2003, 8:56 pm

No, but he contributed to many of them!!!
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » November 19th, 2003, 7:51 pm

Originally posted by Brian Rasmussen:
What do most consider the best card routines to use standing in front of 20-30 people?
Hi Brian,

There is a marketed card effect called "PHIL". This plays really big and packs really small. Anyone who has seen this effect done by me or anyone else can confirm the reactions received in this size of crowd you are talking about. I have personally performed this in the Parlor at the Castle and that room seats almost 60.

For another effect, here is one directly from my lecture notes. Gratis.

No Palm, No Misdirection, Card To Pocket

EFFECT: Four cards are removed from the deck and given face down to a spectator. Emphasize that you will not look at the faces of the cards from this point on. Show the spectator the faces of the four cards and ask him to remember any one of them. Square up the packet and re-spread them, but the selected card is gone! Not only is it gone, but it traveled to your pocket. Show your empty hand, then reach into your pocket to pull out the selected card.

SETUP: Using any four of a kind, youll need a duplicate set in your front right pocket. For the example, well use the four 9s: 9C, 9H, 9S, 9D. Put the duplicate set into your front pants pocket in CHaSeD order (Club, Heart, Spade, Diamond) before your performance.

TIP: The only move you need for this effect is the Ascanio Spread.

Since the Ascanio Spread is the foundation for this trick, Ive included the explanation below:

ASCANIO SPREAD: This shows four cards as three cards. The goal is to square up the four cards, peel off the top card, then the bottom card, all the while holding the two center cards as one. For best results, get four cards and perform the steps as you read them here.
Hold the packet in your right hand about chest high, with the faces toward the audience, cards perpendicular to the floor.
The bottom right corner of the packet should be on your thumb pad while your middle finger is at the top of the packet, off center toward the right.

With your left thumb, peel off the back card to your left, (the card should naturally stick to your thumb) and as you do this, let your fingertips from your left hand glide the front card off in the same way direction as the back card.

Start to glide off the back card from the packet and then, at the same time, glide the card off of the front of the packet so you have two cards freely shown in your left hand. This will leave your right hand holding a two-card packet looking like a singleton. Done correctly, the spread should look as if only three cards are in your hands; two in your left and one in your right hand.

Force any one of the nines to the spectator and say, No matter what card you select, well remove all of those cards out of the pack. For example, if you select a seven, then well remove all of the sevens out of the deck. Make sure you know which of the four you forced!

NOTE: I name a different card than the one Im going to force so the spectator believes he freely selected the card.

The spectator picks the nine and you quickly go through the deck and pull out the rest of the nines. After you get them all, set the deck aside and hand the four nines face down to the spectator.

Tell the spectator to mix them up so that no one will know the order of the cards in the packet. (Its important to tell your spectator youll not look at the faces of the cards from this point on.)

The spectator hands you the now-mixed packet.
As the spectator thinks of his card, thumb off the top two cards into your right hand, leaving the other two cards in your left hand. Pinch-grip each two-card packet and, while showing the faces to the spectator, spread them slightly so each card face clearly shows.

Ask the spectator, In which of my hands is your card? Whichever hand the spectator suggests, drop the packet in that hand onto the top of the packet in your other hand.

For instructional purposes, well number the cards 1 4, 1 being the top card of the packet, 4 the bottom.

Peel off the top card (card 1) and place it on the bottom of the packet. The cards are now in the top-to-bottom order 2, 3, 4 and 1.

Peel off the next card, then the next, (reversing their order) and then drop those two cards on top of the original top and bottom cards of the packet. The top-to-bottom order is now 3, 2, 4 and 1.

Repeat this step keeping the same handling: thumb off the top two cards into your right hand, leaving the other two cards in your left hand. Pinch-grip each two-card packet and, while showing the faces to the spectator, spread them slightly so each card face clearly shows.

Ask the spectator once again In which of my hands is your card? Whichever hand the spectator suggests, drop the packet in that hand onto the top of the packet in your other hand.

Now, ask the spectator to name his card. As he does so, perform the Ascanio spread. (Make sure you snugly hold the packet containing the hidden card!) The selected card will be missing because the double shuffling in the above steps sets up the cards for the Ascanio spread to hide the selected card.

After you show the selected card is no longer in the packet, dramatically produce the duplicate of the selected card from your pocket. Because you loaded the cards in ChaSeD order, you can easily pick the correct card. (You can also load each card or pair of cards into different pockets if you prefer.)

Put the card back in your pocket and perform a magical motion, and now perform a fair spread of the cards, showing the no-longer-missing selected card.

(The card-to-pocket effect was taken from Aldo Colombinis Get Off My Spread, and is used with his kind permission. Its a great stand-alone effect with many more twists to it. Im only using a small portion of that effect as a vehicle to get me to another part of the routine)

This trick is a nice lead-in to the McClintock Twist or any other effect you may do that requires four of a kind.

www.JeffEzellMAGIC.com

Postby Guest » November 25th, 2003, 5:52 am

The write ups for the Nap Hand make it seem quite tedious. Also having to bring three spectators up on stage can make the show drag.
So I've never tried it.

However, two Brittish writers (not ML) have published versions (both books have the word "Professional" in the title, and were written after 1854 and 1954)where they speak quite highly of the effect.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » November 25th, 2003, 9:14 am

Without re-reading this thread, has anyone mentioned how strong the Homing Card is (especially when done by Fred Kaps and more recently Bob Sheets)???
Stay tooned.

magicbar

Postby magicbar » November 28th, 2003, 8:05 am

Brian, there have been many good suggestions mentioned here but you don't mention what type of act or character you perform. Pete Biro was right on when suggesting the commercially available McCombical Prediction - it is magical and versatile. You can buy a jumbo deck version as well.

Not many suggestions in the mentalism realm. What if one volunteer could read the other volunteer's thoughts? You act as facilitator.

Perhaps a sympathy of thought effect where somehow each spectator's selections match the other's? Maybe one spectator puts a quantity of cards in their pocket and the other can guess how many? It may cause you to do some thinking but the solutions are out there and knowing what type of act you wish to perform, should be able to come up with a workable routine.

Russell Davis
Favorite Magician: Fred Kaps

Postby Russell Davis » November 28th, 2003, 8:20 pm

Brian,

This may be obvious but IF your audiences generally do not frequent magic shops (which usually means that you perform in a small town without a magic shop like I do), then the Ultra-Mental Deck with the Don Alan presentation (or probably any other) plays very very well.

There are a couple of ways to perform the finish at chest height or higher. I usually spread the cards between both hands, both hands beside my left shoulder, palms more or less open to the audience, faces of cards toward the audience, back side of deck not too far from wall behind me if necessary to cover angles.

Russell Davis
Favorite Magician: Fred Kaps

Postby Russell Davis » November 28th, 2003, 8:45 pm

P. S. --- I've always thought it would be a good idea to do some simple uncased deck switch under the cover of holding high the selected card and accepting the last of the applause. Switch the fifty-one gimmicked cards for fifty-two ungimmicked ones, maybe while retrieving tossed-away card case. Return the mentally selected gimmicked card to reg deck but then palm it right out. Put now-normal cards in box and pass to an audience member to keep for a souvenir.

Postby Guest » November 28th, 2003, 8:55 pm

I was reading through Dunninger's Brain Busters and think the effect called "Nailed Thoughts" would also be great! (since we are diving into the mental end of things)

www.JeffEzellMAGIC.com

Postby Guest » November 29th, 2003, 8:26 pm

I have just remembered an absolutely fantastic presentation of the Brainwave Deck in the "Life and Times of Paul Rosini" by Chuck Romano.

I love this book and read it a lot.Sadly only part of it is written before 1954("Magical Gems" by Rufus Steele is included) but at least it describes the magic of a performer who was really active and successful before this period.

Rosini did the Brainwave Deck for large audiences and the described presentation sounds like a bloody miracle. The build up is fantastic.

I have no experience performing it but from the description it sounds like a real winner.

Out of fairness to Mr.Romano I will not detail the presentation here. Buy the book.

Reinhard Mueller

Postby Reinhard Mueller » November 30th, 2003, 2:00 pm

Freunde,

Its not very important, but to give the facts about two sources which were mentioned in this topic:
1. Lewis Ganson: Magic With Faucett Ross was published by The Supreme Magic Company, Bideford 1975. [see Lewis Ganson: The Ganson Book, Supreme Magic Co., Bideford 1982, p. 5, Bibliography]
2. You will find the "Thought Transmitter" (i.e. egg beater) effect in Hugards Magic Monthly, Vol. V, No. 2, July 1947, p. 331 a. 338 in the series Merlins Magic by Clayton Rawson as The Little Wonder Thought Projector.

Best, Reinhard

Postby Guest » December 2nd, 2003, 12:40 pm

Eddie Joseph's Premonition is excellent in these situtations, as is almost all the material in the last chapter of Royal Road. Larry Jennings once told me that he thought there was a whole comedy club magic act contained in that last chapter, with the "Egyptian", "Ladies Looking Glass", "Here, There and Everywhere", etc.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”