Ring Flight

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

Ring Flight

Postby Guest » September 25th, 2006, 1:58 pm

Hello,

I've had the Ring Flight for a couple of years now, but was never able to use it the way I wanted. 2 problems I've encountered, and doing a bit research online, I see there are folks out there having the same issues. Problem 1: The pull from the reel is too loud, and you will be caught dead on performing in a quiet setting. I find even in a more crowded are, it is still noticeable. Problem 2: The clip from the pull is too small and the opening of the clip is too stiff to clip on the ring easily. Often I find myself having to use a lot of misdirection just to get the ring on. Now my question: Is there a version of Ring Flight out there somewhere that can address these 2 problems I've listed? I heard Immakulate Ring Flight is the quiet version of the Ring Flight trick. But is this a safe replacement? I don't want to invest in another similar gimmick that is almost identical to what I have already, and end up where I started.

Please advice.

Thank you!

Re: Ring Flight

Postby Guest » September 25th, 2006, 2:43 pm

Gaeton Blooms Ring Flight solves both of those issues.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » September 26th, 2006, 11:28 am

... and my version, JUST IN CASE, solves all the problems, like Gaetan's is only good with a TINY ring. It ain't cheap, but I've sold over 500 of 'em. Get one at www.porperoriginals.com

No reel, No TT's and no skill. (Ok you do have to do a shuttle pass).
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » September 26th, 2006, 12:19 pm

If you're looking for the perfect clip for your ringflight, check out Whit Haydn's "Perfect Clip":

http://www.chefanton.com/scoundrelsstor ... _magic.htm

I've used this for years,and it's lived up to the name.

Don't know what to tell you about the noise, though. That really hasn't been a factor in any setup I've seen. Which one do you have?

Glenn Farrington

Postby Glenn Farrington » September 26th, 2006, 12:43 pm

Either Gaetan's or Pete's will work. I love them both. I can also reccomend Vanni Bossi's Flying ring and Collectors Workshop's Morelli Ring. Again these all use differnt methods that the one you are using. But at the end of the day I use the more traditional ring flight. I own them all...and I mean I own one of every ring flight you can think of. And the work horse for me of late has been El Duco's (I've thought of adding the scoundrel's clips to it as well, but haven't done that yet).

My el duco makes very little if any noise. And when I am attaching the clip on there is absolutely no heat on my hands because they have no idea what I am about to do and I am talking direclty to them as I am putting the clip on.

Anyway...hope you find one that works for you.
Comedy's Easy...Dying Sucks.

Postby Guest » September 26th, 2006, 6:44 pm

Here's a version I put in my Linking Ring parade way back in May 2002 (which is where you should look if you want illustrations). I've used it for 20 years, always to great success. No pull, no clip. Rather than offer to send to anyone interested I'll egotistically post the whole thing here. Scroll if you're not interested!

P.M Ring Flight

This is my Poor Man's version of the classic Ring Flight effect (thus the titlethe fact that P.M are my initials is a total coincidence). All you need is an empty 35 mm film canister, a kleenex or paper napkin, and a rubber band, and youre ready to go. And your thumb tip.

Perform
Start with the thumb tip in your left pocket. Take the film canister and hand it out for examination. While they're examining it, tear off a piece of kleenex about twice the diameter than the top of the canister. Take the canister, put the kleenex over the open end, and hold it in place with the rubber band, somewhat like the end of a drumhead tube. Set the canister down on the table in plain sight.

Take back the rest of the kleenex and put it into your pocket, stealing out the thumb tip.

Now borrow a ring, and display it in your right hand. Youre going to vanish it in the thumb tip, but not in the standard, too-well-known fashion. Instead, try the following:

The tip is in left hand finger palm, parallel to the fingers with the open end by the finger tips. Now it looks like you place the ring on the palm of your left hand, but secretly you place the ring in the tip. The left hand turns palm up just as the right hand goes behind the left fingers. Immediately you begin rubbing the ring (really just the right fingers) on the palm of the left hand, which opens flat. As you begin rubbing, all four fingers are held together against the thumb [Illustration]; then your pinkie lifts up, then the ring finger, then the middle finger, leaving just the first finger moving in slow, small circles against the left palm.

As the fingers separate, the right thumb pulls back and swings under the left hand, concealing the thumb tip. Finally, the first finger lifts upthe ring is gone! You can now move both hands palm out, pointing your thumbs at the audience in classic fashion.

Try this just once on a spectator and youll be convinced; its a big improvement over conventional thumb tip vanishes which are really just thumb-tip-assisted false transfers. The rubbing action provides a more dramatic, gradual vanish which completely deflects attention away from your thumb. And it will completely fool a lay person who knows how to vanish a silk with a thumb tip.

Now pick up the sealed canister from the table with your right hand while you show your left hand to be clearly empty. Your right thumb will be completely hidden behind the canister and fluffy ends of the kleenex. Now put the canister, kleenex-sealed end up, in your left hand.

As youre putting the canister in your left hand, the right thumb slides down the back of the canister. Your left hand takes both the canister and, behind it, the thumb tip. Keep the opening of the tip below the top of the canister, so it's well hidden in the crook of your thumb.

Smoothly and without hurrying, clearly show your right hand emptythis is one of the few cases where its preferred to actually show your hand empty as opposed to simply letting the audience see that it is empty. With your right first finger, poke a hole in the kleenex. Run your finger around the inside rim of the canister, making the hole as big as possible.

Tip over the canister and pour the borrowed ring into your open right hand. The ring comes out of the tip, but the illusion that it came from the canister is perfect. Hand the ring to the stunned spectator from whom you borrowed it. Now take the canister in your right hand and put it on the table. While you're doing this, you also secretly steal the tip on your right thumb.

Ditch the tip while the audience is diving for the canister, which is clean.

Notes
Every now and then a ring will wedge in your tip, so when you turn over the canister, nothing falls out. If this happens, tap the canister while gently squeezing the tip, which will free the ring.

Postby Guest » September 26th, 2006, 7:16 pm

Not to knock a classic trick, but the Flying Ring, aka Ring Flite, is one of those things you would have to be crazy to do. The reel method is risky, can damage the ring, toss it behind the couch, any number of accidents. Many working guys can tell you that the Flying Ring can literally be just that. Far better to use a method that doesn't put an heirloom at risk, In my opinion, of course.

John R

Postby Guest » September 26th, 2006, 7:37 pm

Originally posted by Brown Hornet:
Not to knock a classic trick, but the Flying Ring, aka Ring Flite, is one of those things you would have to be crazy to do. ...
Do we have any tales of the trick gone bad when Germaine was performing it?

Postby Guest » September 26th, 2006, 10:20 pm

Michael Forbes Ring Flight is very silent. I use it all the time. I hear he might be making them again, but that was a while ago. If you can get one. Do it!

Best,

Sean Macfarlane

Postby Guest » September 27th, 2006, 2:55 pm

Pete, that's a pretty cool hanlding, but you should see Ursula Martinez do it... :)

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » September 27th, 2006, 3:16 pm

Hi Sean--i'd love to own a Michael Forbes Ring Flight. As for acquiring one, well, I'm open to suggestions...

Michael Close

Postby Michael Close » September 27th, 2006, 4:36 pm

Pete, that's a pretty cool hanlding, but you should see Ursula Martinez do it...
I believe her closing line is, "If you find my car keys we'll drive out in style."

Close

Postby Guest » September 27th, 2006, 6:27 pm

Hi Jonathan,

Fortunatley, I wasn't as jinxed as the poor chap whose apparatus flung a passenger's expensive ring overboard a cruise ship, but I had my close calls.

The most frequent accident was the reel or thread breaking at a bad time. (As though there's a good time.) Once, while outside, I had the string break and the ring landed on a grating. had it fallen in, I would have been lynched.

I also had rings miraculously end up on the floor instead of the keycase. It WAS funny to see me build up this miracle only to show an empty keycase, and retrieve the ring from the floor! :D :D It makes me paranoid to surrender control of a borrowed item.

I found the perfect solution with Steve Dushek's RINGER. I almost hate to mention this because it is so doggone good.

John R

Originally posted by Jonathan Townsend:
Originally posted by Brown Hornet:
[b] Not to knock a classic trick, but the Flying Ring, aka Ring Flite, is one of those things you would have to be crazy to do. ...
Do we have any tales of the trick gone bad when Germaine was performing it? [/b]

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » October 1st, 2006, 3:54 am

This morning I posted my version of Ring Flight on the Perverse Magic thread of the General Section of this forum (the General Section BELOW this Close Up Section)

My version, called Key Ring (or Poor Mans Ring Flight) is done with a inch loose leaf ring and minimizes the danger of damaging the borrowed ring.

Jon Allen

Postby Jon Allen » October 1st, 2006, 9:46 am

I would have to second Steve Duschek's 'Ringer' It is almost certainly the safest version on the market. No pulls, magnets, pretty much no moving parts at all and if it's going to go wrong then it will be your fault and not the prop!

I am also loathed to mention it because it is so darn good.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » October 1st, 2006, 1:21 pm

You want safe and easy go back and read my earlier post above.
Stay tooned.

Jon Allen

Postby Jon Allen » October 1st, 2006, 2:37 pm

Originally posted by Pete Biro:
You want safe and easy go back and read my earlier post above.
I did..... and I still go with 'Ringer' as the safest and easiest on the market.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » October 1st, 2006, 11:41 pm

Ringer is excellent, but a different effect in a way... than Mike Close's Ring Fright (which Just IN Case works so well for).
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » October 2nd, 2006, 7:56 pm

I'll throw in my vote for Just in case/key. Pete's work, along with Joe's wonderful craftsmanship and ideas from Mike Close and Dean Dill have made this a cornerstone of my strolling/close-up show. Pete has sold 500 of them, 2 were to me. It's the only prop I own a backup of, that's how much I love it.

Postby Guest » October 3rd, 2006, 12:24 am

I made my own flying ring outfit about 30 years ago after I saw what the inherent problems with the "depot" versions were. Mine is nearly silent. It will pull a man's large signet ring, such as a senior class ring, without difficulty. I have eliminated all rough edges, etc. which damage the line. I also made my own clip. The lobster claw clips Whit sells are also dandy.

I've used the same clip, line, reel and case for the past 25 years without a single mishap. One of the reasons that I have had no mishaps is that I check the setup closely before going out with it. If I see any sign of damage to the line or any indication that the knot might be slipping, I change over to my backup unit until I can replace the defective part.

However, the setup is of such a nature that I have NEVER had to replace any of the pieces.

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » October 3rd, 2006, 3:45 pm

That's wonderful Mr. Palmer. I've been thinking of making my own Ring Flight out of an elegant leather key case, but finding the best reel is tough. Also, concealing the reel in the case would require leather stitching know-how. That's the wall I face, that dammed learning curve.

The market is ripe at the present time for a killer upscale Ring Flight: Black Lizard or Croc with a reel as silent as a panther and strong as a bull. Michael Forbes is napping with Rip Van Winkle. Is anyone up to the task?

According to Jim Sisti in the December 2005 issue of Magic, a fellow named Allen Sherer makes a nice one, but Sisti has not replied to my enquiries...Onward (with apologies to Racherbaumer) :)

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » October 3rd, 2006, 5:32 pm

Buy a real "high end" case yourself and modify it.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » October 4th, 2006, 9:46 am

I've always liked the idea of using a borrowed ring and having it vanish and appear in some spectacular location but the ring case just doesn't do it for me. For one, I know of nobody who uses ring cases these days. My grandfather used one, he was the last person I knew who did. For this reason, my ring flight sits idle in a drawer.

Postby Guest » October 4th, 2006, 10:11 am

Well over 30 years ago John Swink copied one of my Martin reels and put it in a key case. It works beautifully, silently, reliably, uses a jeweler's swivel and not a simple snap hook. John only charged $35 for it back then.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » October 4th, 2006, 11:57 am

Enough people use ring cases, and so what if nobody you know uses one. How many layment have sets of 12-inch stainless steel rings?

It's a trick, it's a show... use anything that creates an effect and entertains folks.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » October 7th, 2006, 5:14 pm

Have you tried Richard Mark's Ringon Ringon?
It was put out by Supreme

Chas Nigh

Postby Chas Nigh » September 11th, 2015, 7:09 pm

Guest Funny you should mention John Swink. I also bought one of his cases. The case was beautifully hand tooled with a Western motif. One of the finest props I've ever owned. He never told me it was Martin style reel.But I paid a whopping 50 bucks!

performer

Postby performer » September 11th, 2015, 7:15 pm

I think it is a wonderful trick. Alas I have always been too terrified to try it. I KNOW that I would lose or damage a ring! I just know! Alas it is the nature of the beast.

Spellbinder

Postby Spellbinder » September 13th, 2015, 9:28 pm

It IS a wonderful trick, but you don't need a commercial "Ring Flight" to gently vanish a ring and bring it back to a gentle conclusion. It is easier to vanish a ring than to vanish a coin, but the same moves make it possible, and the shape of the ring gives you new options for grabbing and palming. It only costs you practice time.
Phineas Spellbinder
The Magic Nook

Return to “Close-Up Magic”