Packet Switch Reference

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Bob Farmer

Packet Switch Reference

Postby Bob Farmer » March 24th, 2023, 9:49 am

Here is the starting position: you have a break over the bottom five cards, a Royal Flush.

You spread the deck and the spectator tells you to stop. You outjog five cards in a group at that point.

The deck is squared.

You have a break over the bottom five cards and there are five unknown cards outjogged.

Hold the deck with just your left hand.

The right hand comes over, the forefinger goes into the break. The thumb is above, pressing down on the top of the deck.

The left hand moves forward so its five cards align with the outjogged cards as the right hand pushes the deck forward so the outjogged random cards go flush with the deck.

At the same time the left hand drops the five broken cards on the table.

What is this called and who invented it?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Packet Switch Reference

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 24th, 2023, 10:02 am

Vernon Strip Out Addition.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

MarcoTX

Postby MarcoTX » March 24th, 2023, 10:19 am

But reading description again it's not an addition, it's a switch. It sounds just like the strip out addon, but the description says to push the outjogged cards flush by moving deck with right hand forward at the same time as you take the "added" on cards forwards. Trying it it feels a bit strange.

Bob, what's the source for where you saw/read this?

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » March 24th, 2023, 10:28 am

Yes, it is a switch not an addition. I worked this out for a routine requiring a switch. Conjuring Archive has a list of references for the Vernon move and there may be something similar there. In Card Manipulations 5, p.156, for the effect "Novel Beginning For A Four Ace Trick," Audley Walsh uses some of the same moves (break over bottom group, cards outjogged) but he does not switch the two groups, but adds the outjogged cards on top of the broken cards, then tables this eight card packet and drops the deck on top. then he picks up the deck and removes the bottom the four cards.

MarcoTX

Postby MarcoTX » March 24th, 2023, 11:36 am

The part I'm having difficulty understanding is how you're supposed to use right hand to push the outjogged cards flush while dropping the cards from the bottom with the left hand. What are you pushing the outjogged cards into? Left hand index finger just prior to dropping left hand?

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » March 24th, 2023, 11:50 am

The right hand simply pushes the deck forwards. The left forefinger is a backstop against the outjogged cards so they coalesce with the deck as it moves forward. At the same time, the left hand moves away and drops its cards on the table.

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » March 24th, 2023, 12:00 pm

Hmm...right hand moving forward seems suspicious to me. In stripping out five cards, wouldn't the hands move in opposite directions with the right hand moving back, left moving forward?

Maybe the right hand approaches the deck with the outjogged cards, thumb in back and four fingers on front edge of the outjogged cards. Now right hand simultaneously pushes cards into the deck, and moves back, while left hand moves forward with the broken cards?

Leo Garet
Favorite Magician: Nobody In Particular

Postby Leo Garet » March 24th, 2023, 12:25 pm

The point where the top segment moves forward puts me in mind of The D'Amico Shift. Unless I'm misreading/misunderstanding the push forward, which I probably am.

Dropping a group of cards to the table in the middle of all this is not, of course related to D'Amico's move.

Philippe Billot

Postby Philippe Billot » March 24th, 2023, 1:00 pm

In 1994, Daniel Rhod described a switch pratically similar in his book Plus Secrets Secrets, except he used a cover and it's the left forefinger under this cover which pushes cards into the deck. He was inspired by an Elmsley's idea.

Edwin Corrie

Postby Edwin Corrie » March 24th, 2023, 1:30 pm

Sounds a lot like Dingle's No-Lap Switch from "Complete Works of DD", though I think I read somewhere that there's another switch that's quite similar and maybe came before. No idea what it was though.

Philippe Billot

Postby Philippe Billot » March 24th, 2023, 1:54 pm

No, in the NoLap, after the strip-out and the addition under the four cards, you steal these four indifferent cards above the Aces under the right packet held by the right hand.

In Rhod's sleight, you strip-out the cards and you put them immediately on the table and you have only the number of cards required.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » March 24th, 2023, 3:08 pm

On Jack's point: the illusion is that the left hand has pulled the outjogged cards out. The left hand moves forward to apparently grip the outjogged cards but as the cards are apparently removed the deck is pushed forwards to swallow those cards as the left hand moves away. There is a persistence of vision illusion that makes this look perfect.

Philippe Billot

Postby Philippe Billot » March 24th, 2023, 3:25 pm

You can find the Elmsley Strip-out Switch, page 238 from The Collected Works of Alex Elmsley (1991)

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » March 24th, 2023, 3:55 pm

I've changed the handling using an idea from the Elmsley move. There is no need to get the break ahead of time. Spread the deck and have the spectator stop you. Outjog the cards, then continue to spread the deck, explaining he could have stopped you anywhere. Spread down and get the break over the bottom group of cards and then square.

Yehuda

Postby Yehuda » March 24th, 2023, 4:44 pm

Bob, that specific handling of the Strip-out Switch doesn't really ring a bell at this time. But if you don't feel like going through ALL the references on Conjuring Archive to find it...

https://www.conjuringarchive.com/list/category/1209

... I would recommend at least first taking a look at the Hartman references there. I know he had many different handlings and variations for Additions and Switches that were based around the Vernon Strip-out procedure.

Yehuda

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » March 25th, 2023, 12:46 pm

I now have two different ways of doing this, one of which answers Jack's comments. I'll play with this some more than put together a pdf for those who are interested.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”