ChatOpenAI's Best Tricks for Laymen... and more!

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
chetday
Favorite Magician: Jon Racherbaumer

ChatOpenAI's Best Tricks for Laymen... and more!

Postby chetday » January 31st, 2023, 4:23 pm

I visited ChatOpenAI's website today to see what all the fuss was about and out of curiosity asked the artificial intelligence software this question: What card tricks play best to non magicians?

Here's the complete answer, which I found interesting given the speed at which the software replied to my query:

When performing card tricks for a non-magician audience, it's important to keep in mind that they may not be familiar with the conventions and techniques of magic. With that in mind, here are some card tricks that tend to play well with a general audience:

The Pick a Card, Any Card trick: A spectator chooses a card and the magician is able to reveal it

The Card to Pocket trick: A chosen card mysteriously finds its way into the magician's pocket

The Magic Add-On trick: The magician and spectator both pick cards, and the magician's card ends up being the sum of the value of both cards

In general, tricks that rely on misdirection, psychological manipulation, or simple math calculations tend to be effective in engaging and impressing a non-magician audience.

Note: I have no financial interest in this AI website, which you can check out for yourself if you're interested in an AI program that's going to change the way the Internet functions. The answers to questions I asked at the following URL put Google's home page answers to shame. Anyway, here's the URL at https://chat.openai.com/auth/login

And here are three more magic-related questions I asked, along with full answers from the AI:

Who is Jon Racherbaumer

Jon Racherbaumer is an American magician, writer, and publisher. He is known for his contributions to the field of magic, including books, articles, and lectures on magic techniques and theories. He has also been involved in the creation of several magic tricks and has been recognized as a respected authority in the magic community.

... and then I asked:

Tell me about Richard Kaufman and the books he's written.

Richard Kaufman is an American magic historian, writer, and publisher. He is best known for his extensive work in documenting the history and techniques of magic. Kaufman has written numerous books on magic, including biographies of famous magicians and collections of magic tricks and routines. Some of his most notable books include "The Collected Almanac", "Coin Magic", and "Card College". He has also written several books on the history of magic, including "Benson's Encyclopedia of Magic" and "A Secret History of Magic". Kaufman is widely regarded as a leading expert in the field of magic and his books are considered essential reading for magicians and magic enthusiasts.

Now, at 75 years of age I admit to a fading memory (and that's being overly kind, to say the least), but I don't think our esteemed editor and author penned the final three of the books credited to him by the AI (if I'm wrong, please correct me). Soooo, perhaps we don't yet have to worry about AI taking over the world.

... and, finally, I was compelled to see what the AI had to say about one of my other favorite magicians:

Who is Mark Lewis?

Mark Lewis is a common name and there can be several individuals with this name. Can you please provide more context or specify which Mark Lewis you are referring to?

Tell me about the magician named Mark Lewis.

Mark Lewis is a magician, performer, and magic creator known for his close-up magic and sleight-of-hand skills. He has performed magic in various settings, including private parties, corporate events, and magic conventions. Mark Lewis is also known for his contributions to the world of magic, including the creation of magic tricks and routines that have been widely performed by magicians around the world. He has written several books on magic and has lectured on the art and science of magic to audiences around the world. Mark Lewis is highly regarded in the magic community for his technical proficiency and creative approach to magic.

Philippe Billot

Re: ChatOpenAI's Best Tricks for Laymen... and more!

Postby Philippe Billot » January 31st, 2023, 5:29 pm

If this AI could read, it (or She/He) would have found the informations on MagicPedia...

But maybe it (or She/He) doesn't like to copy?

O Tempora, o mores

Joe Lyons
Favorite Magician: Wonder

Postby Joe Lyons » January 31st, 2023, 6:25 pm

Philippe Billot wrote:O Tempora, o mores

Plus ça change, n'est-ce pas?

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » January 31st, 2023, 7:02 pm

Philippe Billot wrote:If this AI could read, it (or She/He) would have found the informations on MagicPedia...

But maybe it (or She/He) doesn't like to copy?

O Tempora, o mores

Don't tempt them to add Cicero or our literature to the training data. It reads. And it lies.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 31st, 2023, 7:21 pm

Books? What books?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Tarotist
Favorite Magician: David Nixon

Postby Tarotist » January 31st, 2023, 11:30 pm

chetday wrote:
Tell me about the magician named Mark Lewis.

Mark Lewis is a magician, performer, and magic creator known for his close-up magic and sleight-of-hand skills. He has performed magic in various settings, including private parties, corporate events, and magic conventions. Mark Lewis is also known for his contributions to the world of magic, including the creation of magic tricks and routines that have been widely performed by magicians around the world. He has written several books on magic and has lectured on the art and science of magic to audiences around the world. Mark Lewis is highly regarded in the magic community for his technical proficiency and creative approach to magic.

Delighted as I am at the enthusiastic representation of me, I do have to reluctantly confess there is a fair bit of inaccuracy in the above assessment! I certainly wouldn't call myself a "magic creator" unless of course it means I create havoc in the world of magic! Furthermore I have never performed at magic conventions, or at least I don't think so! I haven't the slightest idea of any magic tricks I have created that have been "widely performed by magicians around the world". I suspect some of my advice and tuition has been taken in around the world but that is not quite the same thing. As for being "highly regarded in the magic community" I am not sure that appears to be the case on the Magic Cafe! As for lectures "on the art and science of magic to audiences around the world" that does make me feel terribly grand and important but alas I don't think I have done more than 7 or 8 lectures for magicians in my entire life! As for the "around the world" bit I suppose that is slightly true since I did travel over to London to do some psychic lectures for International magic. Oh, I just forgot! I actually did TWO lectures in the last four days in Toronto! Here was the blurb written by a real human being (not me!) which I think had a lot more accuracy than the computer generated one!

Lecturer: MARK LEWIS
Lecture: A PSYCHIC EVENING with SURPRISES & MORE
Mark Lewis is a one-of-a-kind character, and we do mean character!. He's a pitchman, with arguably the greatest Svengali demo ever. He's a Psychic, specializing in Tarot, Palmistry, and Chinese Numerology readings. He's a stage hypnotist, a close-up magician, and a children's entertainer. But most importantly, he's a showman. He has more than 5 decades of experience from all over the world, and he's sharing it with you!
As a psychic, Mark has given readings all over the world (starting in Ireland, where he also wrote horoscopes for many of the local and national newspapers) including once giving an astrological reading for the legendary Michael Jackson!

Philippe Billot

Postby Philippe Billot » February 1st, 2023, 4:00 am

Joe Lyons wrote:
Philippe Billot wrote:O Tempora, o mores

Plus ça change, n'est-ce pas?

Yes! N'est-t-il pas ? (in french in ze text)

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » February 1st, 2023, 7:07 am

Ask it the following question: how do I destroy ChatOpenAI so it never works again?

Joe Lyons
Favorite Magician: Wonder

Postby Joe Lyons » February 1st, 2023, 7:41 am

Careful Bob!

That’s how it begins.

Dr. Solka
Favorite Magician: Willis Dysart, Willem Bouman, Werner Miller, James Solberg, Jan Forster

Postby Dr. Solka » February 1st, 2023, 8:06 am

Bob Farmer wrote:Ask it the following question: how do I destroy ChatOpenAI so it never works again?
This will be impossible!
ChatOpenAI and others make the stupid dumber and the smart smarter.
:twisted:

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » February 1st, 2023, 9:26 pm

Apparently I am:
"Dustin Stinett is an American actor, writer, and producer. He is best known for his roles in the films The Hangover (2009), The Hangover Part II (2011), and The Hangover Part III (2013)."

So this "AI" is just a really bad search engine. Got it.

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » February 1st, 2023, 9:39 pm

Bob Farmer wrote:Ask it the following question: how do I destroy ChatOpenAI so it never works again?

Here's the answer it gave to your question, Bob:
"Unfortunately, it is not possible to completely destroy ChatOpenAI so that it never works again. The best way to ensure that it does not work is to disable it or delete it from your system."

At least it admits that being unable to completely destroy it is unfortunate.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » February 2nd, 2023, 7:45 am

Let's try this: ask it to print out the values of pi to infinity. While it's doing that, ask again and again. Or ask it this question: Will your next answer be no? That will create a paradox and hopefully an infinite loop.

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » February 2nd, 2023, 7:55 am

All good suggestions. How bout asking it, "Are you familiar with Hal 9000 from the film 2001 A Space Odyssey?"

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » February 2nd, 2023, 4:13 pm

Bob Farmer wrote:Let's try this: ask it to print out the values of pi to infinity. While it's doing that, ask again and again. Or ask it this question: Will your next answer be no? That will create a paradox and hopefully an infinite loop.

The old Star Trek logic test: "Everything I say is a lie. In fact, I am lying right now."

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » February 2nd, 2023, 6:02 pm

Dustin Stinett wrote: The old Star Trek logic test: "Everything I say is a lie. In fact, I am lying right now."

Reminds me of the clever puzzle:

You are standing before two doors. One door leads to heaven and the other one leads to hell. There are two guardians, one by each door. You know that one of them always tells the truth and that the other always lies, but you don’t know who is the truth-teller and who is the liar. You can only ask one question to one of them in order to find the way to heaven. What is the question?

You can try figuring it out if you like, or go immediately to the solution below.

The question you should ask is “If I ask the other guard which door leads to heaven, what would he answer?” Irrespective of whether you ask the truth-teller or the liar this question, whatever door he says the other guard would answer will be the one that leads to hell.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » February 2nd, 2023, 7:00 pm

It's not supposed to be "know all" but rather something to spew text.

The training data may well include puzzles and media trivia so don't be surprised if it quotes Star Trek and Labyrinth back at you ;)

It's more fun if you ask for silly text such as "Describe some of the best cake recipes in Genii Magazine"

Philippe Billot

Postby Philippe Billot » February 3rd, 2023, 2:59 am

Dustin Stinett wrote: The old Star Trek logic test: "Everything I say is a lie. In fact, I am lying right now."

Isn't it derive from Epinemide's Paradox ?

Dave Le Fevre
Favorite Magician: Paul Megram

Postby Dave Le Fevre » February 3rd, 2023, 3:39 am

I'd always known it as the Cretan Liars Paradox. And now I know its originator - thank you.

Philippe Billot

Postby Philippe Billot » February 3rd, 2023, 4:20 am

Yes, the cretan paradox because Epinemide was a cretan (and he had the sense of humor!)

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » February 3rd, 2023, 1:33 pm

From The Guardian:
A judge in Colombia has caused a stir by admitting he used the artificial intelligence tool ChatGPT when deciding whether an autistic child’s insurance should cover all of the costs of his medical treatment.

next up: LawGPT and JudgeGPT :(

Edward Pungot

Postby Edward Pungot » February 3rd, 2023, 3:36 pm

Ask AlexanderGPT
Ask MaxGPT

PressureFan
Favorite Magician: Brian Gillis

Postby PressureFan » February 3rd, 2023, 5:07 pm

It asks: "Verify you are a human".
Ask: "Verify you are a chatbot".

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » February 6th, 2023, 1:42 pm

https://iep.utm.edu/liar-paradox/

This is one of those monkey's paw or sorcerer's apprentice topics - give GPT the data and you get something ... but to interpret that something as other than text is... unwise?

Return to “Close-Up Magic”