Schwarzman Demo

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
erdnasephile

Schwarzman Demo

Postby erdnasephile » January 28th, 2023, 1:48 pm

I recently came across this video of the late Howie Schwarzman that I enjoyed watching (despite the need for hand moisture):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0S80aJYG68

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Re: Schwarzman Demo

Postby MagicbyAlfred » January 28th, 2023, 4:55 pm

Nice magic. I'm not trying to be unduly critical, but if a magician is unable to perform a trick without the need to lick their fingers, which is something that's quite obvious to spectators (and, ever so gently put, aesthetically displeasing), it's better to do some other trick. After all, there's no shortage of them. Why overshadow the beauty or enjoyment of the magic by doing anything that may be seen as distasteful? Also, many people will not want to touch cards, coins, sponges, or other props (or in some cases, want those implements on their table) after they've seen a magician do that. And rightfully so, given the potential health/sanitation concerns. An alternative is to have a cold beverage in a can or in a glass with ice at close at hand. Picking it up to have a sip will yield more than ample moisture if needed.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 28th, 2023, 5:51 pm

You tell that to Dai Vernon.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

JHostler

Postby JHostler » January 28th, 2023, 6:16 pm

Got a kick out of the coin production - especially the giant coin, which somehow fooled me upon first viewing. I then remembered that I used the exact same steal (different context) in a late-80's close-up contest. How time and memories fly!
"The gnomes' ambition is handicapped by laziness." Adapted from Charles Bukowski, and clearly evident at http://www.gnominal.com

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 28th, 2023, 8:48 pm

I'm pretty sure Howie was doing a dealer demo to sell those close-up pads since all the coins came off the back.

Tarotist
Favorite Magician: David Nixon

Postby Tarotist » January 28th, 2023, 10:39 pm

I once saw Johnny Paul lick his fingers in some video or other. He was an incredible close up magician but I have to confess that small thing quite marred his work for me.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » January 29th, 2023, 12:05 am

Martin Nash used to keep a glob of that stuff cashiers use for counting cash behind each ear. While chatting about whatever, he'd tug at an earlobe, get some on his thumb, and then rub his hands together.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » January 29th, 2023, 6:39 am

Rezvani suggested ear wax.

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » January 29th, 2023, 7:41 am

I would think a few decades ago, it wouldn't have been such an issue as it is today. People would lick their fingers to make change, count bills, or shuffle paperwork. Not to mention, wearing gloves for food prep wasn't even considered. Not saying that in todays world, any of that would go over well.

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » January 29th, 2023, 3:04 pm

I always liked the story of when Howie Schwarzman visited a trade show and told Eddie Tullock (the famous trade show magician) he wouldn't get anywhere in the trade show business because he had stubby fingers and used bridge cards. He also said Eddie had no idea how to do the top change properly. Of course he had no idea who he was talking to! Howie apparently bragged that he had earned $30,OOO that year doing magic and asked Eddie how much he had made. Eddie told him that he had only earned $150,OOO that year! When Howie realised who he had been talking to he swore and scampered off never to be seen again!

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » January 29th, 2023, 3:13 pm

One can rub one’s palm against their forehead, or stroke their forehead with their fingertips and transfer some oil to the skin in order to facilitate certain moves

NicholasD52

Postby NicholasD52 » January 29th, 2023, 3:20 pm

It’s not like he was doing a formal show. I’d cut him a little slack.

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » January 29th, 2023, 4:51 pm

I didn't actually see him lick his fingers. I just saw his hand out of frame for a moment which I assume is the moment he did it. On video it would go unnoticed. I don't know about live performance though.

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » January 29th, 2023, 5:31 pm

NicholasD52 wrote:It’s not like he was doing a formal show. I’d cut him a little slack.

I don't think anyone is trying to insult him or be disrespectful, but just tell it like it is.

Erdnasephile wanted to share what he clearly deemed to be good magic worth us watching, but even he placed an asterisk after his favorable comment.

I certainly still have a lot to learn, so I welcome it when anyone gives me constructive criticism of any kind. That way, I can become aware any mistakes or flaws that I might otherwise have remained oblivious to, and that will help me improve as a performer.

Why wouldn't any magician want to be at their best and make the optimal impression whether the "audience " is one person in an informal setting, or many people in a formal one? I feel I owe that to every person that is giving me their time and attention.

Besides, if a magician develops a habit of doing something less than desirable in performing informally, especially if they are not made aware of it, then he or she is very likely to exhibit the same bad habit when performing formally, as well.

BarryAllen
Favorite Magician: Joe Riding & Chan Cansta.

Postby BarryAllen » January 29th, 2023, 7:57 pm

Tarotist wrote:I always liked the story of when Howie Schwarzman visited a trade show and told Eddie Tullock (the famous trade show magician) he wouldn't get anywhere in the trade show business because he had stubby fingers and used bridge cards. He also said Eddie had no idea how to do the top change properly. Of course he had no idea who he was talking to! Howie apparently bragged that he had earned $30,OOO that year doing magic and asked Eddie how much he had made. Eddie told him that he had only earned $150,OOO that year! When Howie realised who he had been talking to he swore and scampered off never to be seen again!

That's a superb story Mark.

The only time I've even seen Schwarzman was on a video of a Patrick Page lecture in the USA (possibly FFFF - released 30+ years ago by Martin Breese); whereby Schwarzman decided to walk backwards and forwards in front of Pat, whilst he was lecturing - on THREE occasions. Pat just let it go - I dont think many people would have - Terry Seabrooke for one!

I thought at the time - you dear chap are an utterly ignorant little 'no-mark'. Your aforementioned story appears to endorse my perception from so many years ago.

As for Bridge cards - I wonder if he'd have said the same to Don Alan, Paul Daniels and David Berglas?

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » January 29th, 2023, 9:13 pm

I am surprised Pat let it go! I still remember him getting up a stupid young magician to supposedly help him at a lecture in Toronto. The kid started to show off fancy shuffles and Pat put him in his place telling him to stop and that there was nothing he could do that Pat couldn't do!

I must say that magicians heckling out loud is a rarity. They just watch you looking miserable with arms folded heckling you silently in their minds but at least you can't hear them!

NicholasD52

Postby NicholasD52 » January 29th, 2023, 10:12 pm

I guess I just have a soft spot for Howie. I’m 77 now . I met him at the Yogi Magic Shop around 45 years ago on one of my Saturday trips to have lunch with Cy Keller. He knew that Cy and I were good friends and that I was good friends with Harvey Rosenthal also. For whatever reason, he spent a good deal of time with me , showing me passes , palms and tricks, then explaining everything. From that time , he could do no wrong in my eyes, even when he fell asleep at a lecture I was giving at a small magic club in Baltimore.

When I first saw him perform at one of the close up nights at the Yogi Club I realized I was watching an old master do things with coins that up until then I had only read about.

PressureFan
Favorite Magician: Brian Gillis

Postby PressureFan » January 29th, 2023, 10:39 pm

Mike Powers posted this on Vimeo. I've linked it here before, but it’s always worth watching. And it’s moisture free.

Howie Schwarzman 1987

NicholasD52

Postby NicholasD52 » January 29th, 2023, 10:54 pm

I never tire of watching that clip.

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » January 29th, 2023, 11:13 pm

All these colorful stories and talk of lectures brings to mind the story of the the magician who went out one evening with his friends. After enjoying a long night of boisterous camaraderie at a local pub, the magician got in his car and started to drive home at around 3 A.M. He was cruising along at about 90 miles an hour when he was pulled over by a cop, siren blaring and lights flashing like a pinball machine on steroids. After demanding to see the magician's license and registration, the officer asked him where he was going in such a big hurry. The magician paused for a moment and said, "Officer, I was going to a lecture." The cop says, "Who in the world gives a lecture at 3 o'clock in the morning?" Magician says: "My wife."

Thomas Van Aken
Favorite Magician: Mike Skinner

Postby Thomas Van Aken » January 31st, 2023, 9:56 am

Hi,
I already read about the Eddie Tullock story but did not remember the other guy involved was Howie.
I read another one that goes a little bit the other way around: Bill Malone was doing bar magic and a gentlemen came to him after his performance and asked: "when are you going to learn how to palm cards properly ?", Bill put the deck on the bart and said: "Why don't you show me ?". Then Howie proceed with a perfect palm and numerous other sleights.
Br,
Th.

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » January 31st, 2023, 1:12 pm

I have seen the Tullock story in print but no mention was made of the name of the guy involved. However, I was told privately that it was Howie. I heard this some time ago and can't remember the source. I do believe it to be true especially in the light of the Bill Malone story above. It seems that this is the sort of thing that Howie would do.

Incidentally the clip above was not "moisture free". I did see him wetting his thumb there too!

Leo Garet
Favorite Magician: Nobody In Particular

Postby Leo Garet » January 31st, 2023, 1:36 pm

Tarotist wrote:Incidentally the clip above was not "moisture free". I did see him wetting his thumb there too!

Three minutes 15 seconds in. His tight hand disappears from view a few times, too. Suggestive.

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » January 31st, 2023, 3:40 pm

Thomas Van Aken wrote:Hi,
I already read about the Eddie Tullock story but did not remember the other guy involved was Howie.
I read another one that goes a little bit the other way around: Bill Malone was doing bar magic and a gentlemen came to him after his performance and asked: "when are you going to learn how to palm cards properly ?", Bill put the deck on the bart and said: "Why don't you show me ?". Then Howie proceed with a perfect palm and numerous other sleights.
Br,
Th.

I'm sorry, but I can't let that one go by without a response. Bill Malone is, or is undoubtedly in the conversation for, the best card magician in the world. Howie Schwarzman asking Bill when he was going to learn to palm cards properly (assuming it's true that Howie did that) would be like a good high school soccer player asking Lionel Messi when he's going to learn to kick a soccer ball properly.

David Ben

Postby David Ben » February 1st, 2023, 8:21 am

I’m sorry but I can’t let that one go by without a response.

I know Bill Malone, and he is indeed a very fine magician, with cards - and without cards. But so was Howie Schwarzman. The comparison to Howie being a good high school soccer player is offensive.

Howie, seeing me perform something twenty-five years ago said the same thing to me as he did to Bill, “Do you want me to show you how palm cards?” Rather than be offended by that comment, I immediately said “yes”. I asked “when would you like to meet.?” He said, “how about now?” I immediately dropped everything I was doing and spent the time with Howie. Although I had spent over four years studying almost weekly with Ross Bertram, who could certainly palm, I learned a tremendous amount from Howie. In fact, I learned two techniques from him that he learned from Vernon in the 1950s that have never been published, and that transform the technique of palming. I have only shared them with two or three people in 25 years, and I use the techniques constantly.

When I was writing the Zarrow book, I discovered that Vernon had circles within circles as far as what he revealed and to whom. Howie was in one of those circles.

What also made Howie special is just how willing he was to mix with others at conventions and gatherings. Few of his calibre were so approachable, particularly to aspiring magicians. Sure, he was a character, but that character was part of his public performing persona, and I for one wish we had more characters in magic like Howie.

One thing I know about Bill Malone is that he has always been interested in learning things from the best, and he has never ever pretended that he did things on his own. Whether it was being mentored by the best bar magicians in Chicago, or Ed Marlo, or Steve Forte, Bill was and still is a lifelong learner. And in my opinion, it is that willingness to learn, and his humble nature, that make him one of the best.

NicholasD52

Postby NicholasD52 » February 1st, 2023, 9:48 am

I too wished to respond to MagicbyAlfted’s comment, but I couldn’t have expressed it better than David Ben did.

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » February 1st, 2023, 10:26 am

Nicolas and David,

It was not my intention to put down Howie's skills. But only to emphasize Bill's abilities, comparatively speaking. And I guess I wasn't worried about being offensive in my comments in regard to Howie, given his rude and arrogant "question" to Bill: ""When are you going to learn how to palm cards properly?" I would be hard pressed to top that for offensiveness. Others on here have also recounted stories about Howie's attitude that are less than flattering, as well. I have never watched Howie execute palming, but when I saw this video, I thought to myself that it would be fair to ask, "When are you going to learn to shuffle and cut cards?" Although I wouldn't actually ask him that. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0S80aJYG68

David, you may know Bill personally, but not like I do. He is more than "a very fine magician with cards." In my opinion, he is the best close-up magician in the world, and I speak from long experience. I worked with him at Malone's Magic Bar for 2 years, and also at special events. I have had the privilege of having countless late night sessions with him at my condo in Florida, and he generously taught me more than I ever could have dreamed of, because he knew how much I loved magic and sincerely wanted to learn, and I have never had a better, kinder, and more generous friend. There is a reason why he has been able to get paid top dollar by Fortune 500 Companies and Celebrities for over 30 years.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 1st, 2023, 12:14 pm

Look, there's no question that Howie could be an obnoxious jerk. I knew him for many decades. But he was also extremely talented, knew a lot of underground stuff, and would sometimes share that material with people. Your interactions with him could be hot or cold, good or bad, depending on the day. Considering how good his Classic Pass was, it annoyed me when he would pretend to do if people asked to see it. For a guy with teeny-tiny hands, his sleight of hand (Palms and Passes) was remarkable.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » February 1st, 2023, 12:39 pm

MagicbyAlfred wrote:Erdnasephile wanted to share what he clearly deemed to be good magic worth us watching, but even he placed an asterisk after his favorable comment.

To be clear, my intent in posting this link was 1) Video footage of Mr. Schwarzman is not particularly copious (at least in the public domain) and 2) I thought the handling was actually pretty darn good, especially the misdirection to load the coins and the moves once the coins were obtained. It certainly isn't easy (at least for me) to do those types of moves casually, and I've certainly seen them exposed by less natural handlings before.

Second, I didn't mean to place an "asterisk" after my initial comment. I actually was mentioning it preemptively. Of course, the (presumed) finger licking was a tell, but to me, that doesn't diminish the value of the video in the slightest. In retrospect, I should have just left well enough alone. And yes---this was "just" a dealer demo, but it impressed me nonetheless and inspires me to keep studying and practicing.

On a related note, I thought this article (and the comment section) about Mr. Schwarzman was very good and conveyed the essence of the man: https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/blog/ ... -fulfilled

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » February 1st, 2023, 12:58 pm

I am pretty good at sleight of hand myself but I have never considered it of major importance in the great scheme of things. It is useful and advantageous certainly but you can manage quite well without it. The focus should really be on other things like patter, presentation and knowledge of how human beings think. In other words the psychological side of things. Learning to manipulate the cards, coins etc; is indeed useful but FAR more vital is to learn how to manipulate the PEOPLE!

Return to “Close-Up Magic”