Nut And Bolt Trick

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Bob Farmer

Nut And Bolt Trick

Postby Bob Farmer » December 3rd, 2022, 9:25 am

In cleaning out my magic collection, I came across a brass nut and bolt. The shaft on the bolt is held in the head of the bolt by a hidden magnet. You can place a ring on the shaft then add the bolt. When placed under a handkerchief you can take the pieces apart and remove the ring then put it back together.

Does anyone know who made this and what is it called?

I have a much better method for the handling which I can share here when I find out more info.

Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Re: Nut And Bolt Trick

Postby Joe Mckay » December 4th, 2022, 12:21 am

Edward Pungot

Postby Edward Pungot » December 4th, 2022, 1:06 am

Dave Le Fevre
Favorite Magician: Paul Megram

Postby Dave Le Fevre » December 4th, 2022, 4:37 am

I have an item similar to Micro Psychic Nut. (I liked it so much that I bought a second one.) It cost less than 4% of the price of Micro Psychic Nut.

From the description on that webpage, the only difference that I can see is that MPN specifies Nothing to hide in your hands whereas mine requires a tiny magnet in the hand.

Apologies for diverting the thread, since neither MPN nor Lightning Bolt appear to be what Bob is looking for.

AJM

Postby AJM » December 4th, 2022, 5:27 am

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » December 4th, 2022, 7:13 am

Andrew that is it the others are not. I will post my routine here shortly. I wonder if Murphy's stocks this because it is a great prop.

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » December 4th, 2022, 7:15 am

I know I've seen it in older magic catalogs, but Andrew found it.

AJM

Postby AJM » December 4th, 2022, 7:33 am

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » December 4th, 2022, 11:34 am

Here is a much better way to perform this trick. You need the version that does not have the lock along with an opaque black handkerchief.

Hand out the nut and bolt to the spectator and have him put the nut on the bolt. Take the prop back and adjust the nut so it is near the end of the shaft with about 1/4" of thread exposed.

Hold this in your right fist with your thumb and forefinger under the nut and the rest of the prop inside your closed fingers.

Pick up the handkerchief with the other hand and place it over the prop as you table it. However, under cover of the handkerchief, push up with your thumb dislodging the shaft from the bolt.

Place the head of the bolt on the table with its opening pointing up and place the shaft beside it, pointing up. The shaft will stick to the side of the head and the configuration will be like an upside down V.

Remove your hand from under the handkerchief and borrow a ring.

Go back under the handkerchief and place the ring on the bolt head. It will slip between the two pieces even though the magnet is holding those two pieces together. This takes no more than a heartbeat to do.

Remove your hand from under the handkerchief.

Tell the spectator to listen carefully and he will hear his ring penetrating the bolt.

Place your left hand over the handkerchief and through the material grip the nut on the shaft. Lift the handkerchief slowly (lifting the prop at the same time) and the two pieces will automatically snap together with a clicking sound. Let the prop go back to the table as you continue lifting the handkerchief to reveal the ring trapped on the shaft by the nut.

This is one of the most effective penetrations you can do because it looks completely hands off.

Leo Garet
Favorite Magician: Nobody In Particular

Postby Leo Garet » December 4th, 2022, 12:21 pm

No help to Mister Farmer, but possibly of interest to some.

I had the Harry Stanley Unique version of this back in Neanderthal days. Stanley called it "Bolted".

It cost Fifteen Shillings----75 pence. A fortune back then. I know I used it at school, but that's about all i recall.

I still have the catalogue advertising it.

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » December 4th, 2022, 12:46 pm

That brings back some memories from my childhood, as far as the name my parents gave me when I started into mentalism at age 4.
Scarred me for life.

BTW, while it's a bit far afield from the version Bob has, I'm sold on the version Vanishing, Inc. is offering. In the description, they state, among other things:
"...No complicated body hook ups.
...You don't even have to be wearing clothes!"

Well, I guess those two would go together.

And when you approach someone with a nut and bolt, dressed the way you came into this world, you're bound to get a reaction. Plus, imagine the misdirection...

Furthermore, how can you beat the "six month warranty" on a $160 item?

Philippe Billot

Postby Philippe Billot » December 4th, 2022, 3:18 pm

Leo Garet wrote:No help to Mister Farmer, but possibly of interest to some.

I had the Harry Stanley Unique version of this back in Neanderthal days. Stanley called it "Bolted".

It cost Fifteen Shillings----75 pence. A fortune back then. I know I used it at school, but that's about all i recall.

If we are speaking about the same trick, it's explain in The Gen, Vol. 16, no. 11, march 1961, page 252 and it's from Fred Lowe.

Also, you can find it in The Art of Close-up, Vol. 1, page 160 (1968)

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » December 4th, 2022, 3:25 pm

Didn't Charles Gauci have a trick that used a similar gimmick (albeit for a different effect)? I think it was called something like "Houdini's Card"?

Leo Garet
Favorite Magician: Nobody In Particular

Postby Leo Garet » December 6th, 2022, 12:30 pm

Philippe Billot wrote:
Leo Garet wrote:No help to Mister Farmer, but possibly of interest to some.

If we are speaking about the same trick, it's explain in The Gen, Vol. 16, no. 11, march 1961, page 252 and it's from Fred Lowe.

Also, you can find it in The Art of Close-up, Vol. 1, page 160 (1968)

I can't find my "Gen" collection. I have it in PDF. However that sounds like the one. The catalogue credits Fred Lowe and mentions "precision-made apparatus".

If memory serves, Fred Lowe was something of a whiz at metal work. "The Gen" and the Ganson books both feature his stuff. He had a version (or two) of the Boston Coin Box.

It's the ready-made aspect that sold the trick. Anybody without a metalwork setup and with no ability in that department would jump at the "precision-made" gear. I know I did.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » December 6th, 2022, 2:56 pm

The Lowe trick is very different from the one I described. I have them both.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”