Most Unbelievable 4 Ace Production Ever?

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Most Unbelievable 4 Ace Production Ever?

Postby MagicbyAlfred » November 4th, 2022, 11:58 am

When I saw this video by Jason Ladayne, I was flabbergasted -- and that doesn't happen that often these days. Truthfully, it made me feel like hanging up my spurs as far as performing ace productions any more (and I've got a couple pretty decent ones). I know that some may be put off by his somewhat cocky, challenging style, but I believe in giving credit where credit's is due, and this is the cleanest, fairest, and most astonishing production of the aces (or any 4 cards) that I've ever seen. And I've seen a lot of them by some incredible magicians. The production of the final ace is truly spectacular!

I was wondering what our esteemed members think about this?
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/ERRLYbtrntI

PS The comments on the video are hilarious.

katterfelt0
Favorite Magician: Depends on the day. Today, Rick Maue.

Re: Most Unbelievable 4 Ace Production Ever?

Postby katterfelt0 » November 4th, 2022, 12:47 pm

My gast doesn't get flabbered very often either, but Jason is amazing.
Effect and method are inextricably linked.

Leo Garet
Favorite Magician: Nobody In Particular

Postby Leo Garet » November 4th, 2022, 1:01 pm

I like it, but why does he keep saying "You can see there's no ace on the top or bottom?

We can't see that "there's no ace on the top or bottom".

He displays the top card at the outset, but that's all. Okay, he shuffles the cards each time, but he does not show either the top or bottom card.

Or have I missed something again?

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » November 4th, 2022, 1:39 pm

Leo Garet wrote:I like it, but why does he keep saying "You can see there's no ace on the top or bottom?

We can't see that "there's no ace on the top or bottom".

He displays the top card at the outset, but that's all. Okay, he shuffles the cards each time, but he does not show either the top or bottom card.

Or have I missed something again?

Leo, I don't think you're missing anything of significance, and if one were to try and identify any weak point, at least the spirit, if not the letter, of your comment does so. I did go back and watch again. To be perfectly fair, right before the production of the first ace, he says, "First of all there's no aces on top or bottom," and he does, in fact, show the face of the top and bottom card. He does not, however, make that same claim ever again. Prior to production of the second ace, what he says is: "Now I'll shuffle again and you'll see that the top cards change and the bottom cards change." However, although I watched closely, I did not see that claim substantiated. Prior to the third ace, he makes no claim at all, just points out that he's cutting, does a "cutting" sequence, and immediately produces the third ace. Finally, prior to the production of the final ace, he makes no claim except to say (and show) that he's not palming, but I certainly don't think that there is any need to say anything about no ace being on top or bottom, as the production speaks quite well for itself.

I think the production sequence would have been stronger if he actually showed there was no ace on top or bottom each time, although I don't know if the method would've allowed for that. But even if not, possibly he could've showed the top and bottom cards and then cut an ace to top by a double undercut and/or slip cut, or whatever. I honestly don't know if the method would allow for that either. However as far as making the claim that "you'll see the top cards change and the bottom cards change places," I think he would've been better off just not saying that at all, because an observant spectator will see that simply is not the case.

All of this said, I still think it is phenomenal, but just that he weakened it by the claims he made without needing to. I would also be remiss if I didn't note that I have seen the great Bill Malone perform miracles with the aces that are as strong as (and arguably more magical than) what Jason has done here. Not saying better or worse, just different.

Philippe Billot

Postby Philippe Billot » November 4th, 2022, 3:07 pm

Good 4 ace production, YES !

Unbelievable, NO ! (unless a spectator shuffles between each production)

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » November 4th, 2022, 3:33 pm

Philippe Billot wrote:Good 4 ace production, YES !

Unbelievable, NO ! (unless a spectator shuffles between each production)

Phillippe, I know that words like "unbelievable" are subjective. And I did frame my topic in the form of a question. My answer is yes, yours no. Fair enough. Except I think most magicians (and certainly laymen) would agree that it's better than merely "good," as you've characterized it. I assume you saw the wash shuffle before the productions began? To me that is what makes it unbelievable, in addition, of course, to the final production, which is incroiable (another subjective word).

I will concede that letting them shuffle between each production would take it to a whole another level, as surreptitiously locating and palming off an ace and replacing it each time, without detection, would be very very difficult, if not impossible. (it also seems to me 4 crimped cards would be super risky in a deck they continually handle). But if letting them shuffle between each production is what it takes to meet your personal standard or criterion for unbelievable, then I think there is little, if anything, in the annals of card magic and magicians that would meet your standard.

Philippe Billot

Postby Philippe Billot » November 4th, 2022, 5:08 pm

I didn't mean to denigrate Jason's work.

As I've seen a lot of ace production I'm just saying Jason's routine is good (the opposite of bad) but not unbelievable but I grant you that the production of the last ace is original.

I know that actually the wash shuffle is the standard for card players but I wonder if it really fools the laymen when used in a magic trick but maybe I think too much like a magician.

Paco Nagata
Favorite Magician: Juan Tamariz

Postby Paco Nagata » November 4th, 2022, 5:24 pm

I would like to ask Jason where or how the hell he discovered John Scarne's secret... ^_^

(Just joking)
"The Passion of an Amateur Card Magician"
https://bit.ly/2lXdO2O
"La pasion de un cartómago aficionado"
https://bit.ly/2kkjpjn

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » November 4th, 2022, 5:27 pm

Philippe Billot wrote:I didn't mean to denigrate Jason's work.

As I've seen a lot of ace production I'm just saying Jason's routine is good (the opposite of bad) but not unbelievable but I grant you that the production of the last ace is original.

I know that actually the wash shuffle is the standard for card players but I wonder if it really fools the laymen when used in a magic trick but maybe I think too much like a magician.

I don't think you denigrated his work, and did not mean to imply as much. You gave your opinion, that's all. I respect it, but just happen to disagree that the production was merely "good" or "not bad."

Return to “Close-Up Magic”