3D Printing Designer

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Bob Farmer

3D Printing Designer

Postby Bob Farmer » October 28th, 2022, 6:09 pm

I'm looking for a 3D printing designer who can take the prototype of a gimmick I've created and create a 3D file I can print out.

Tom Moore

Re: 3D Printing Designer

Postby Tom Moore » October 28th, 2022, 6:20 pm

I have a whole floor of our workshop dedicated to 3D printing across multiple technologies. Feel free to dm me with an outline and I’ll happily give you an overview of whether it can be done
"Ingenious" - Ben Brantley: New York Times

thomasmoorecreative

Jon Elion

Postby Jon Elion » October 29th, 2022, 6:14 am

Chris Wasshuber has been 3D printing since at least 2012 and is still active with it today.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » October 29th, 2022, 8:45 am

Thank you! This is great.

mbreggar

Postby mbreggar » October 29th, 2022, 9:32 pm

Bob, also connect with Mitch Geier. He does fabulous work, really knows his way around 3D printers and is a terrific dude to boot!
Shoot me an email if you want his contact info

Mike

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » November 1st, 2022, 11:58 am

The project I am working on is a download. Besides the manuscript, the files for 3D printing of the gaffs will be provided. 3D printing services are everywhere these days. I was wondering: has anyone else done the same, offered 3D files for magic gaffs?

MaxwellPritchard

Postby MaxwellPritchard » November 1st, 2022, 3:35 pm

Hello Bob. Calvin Sze has posted on here a few times, offering (mostly free, I think) files for 3D-printed props and gimmicks of his own design.

mbreggar

Postby mbreggar » November 2nd, 2022, 8:12 pm

Reminds me of Harry Blackstone tricks packaged in bubble gum cards. No 3D printers in the ‘60’s, but you punched out scored pieces of cardboard to assemble the little props.

Your idea, Bob, may make folks run out and buy 3D printers! Or bubble gum!!

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » November 3rd, 2022, 6:55 am

Mike, there is no need to buy a 3D printer, there are plenty of places that offer 3D printing, though my youngest son, who prints out game pieces, and other pop culture artifacts, has two 3D printers. You can see his site here:

https://huskyduckcollectibles.com/

Tom Moore

Postby Tom Moore » November 3rd, 2022, 7:06 am

Bob Farmer wrote:The project I am working on is a download. Besides the manuscript, the files for 3D printing of the gaffs will be provided. 3D printing services are everywhere these days. I was wondering: has anyone else done the same, offered 3D files for magic gaffs?

I fear you have over-estimated the ubiquity of 3D printing services - yes there are plenty of them but they are not widely known and for a non-3D-knowledgable consumer impenetrable. Each service uses different materials and 3D print technologies, different resolutions, different density's - all factors which will literally make or break the usability of the object printed; even just changing the orientation of the print (when using FDM technologies) can increase or decrease the strength of a part by orders of magnitude. I'm not saying there's no market for a trick as described but i'd suggest you research the specifics of your market more carefully - you're looking for magicians who want to buy downloads, have enough tech knowledge and time to find a print service who can print in the right materials, have enough material properties knowledge to be able to make informed choices about the specification of the print they need and who are prepared to pay an additional $30+ (and wait 4-5 days) to the company to print and ship it to them feels like a niche of a niche of a niche.

On the other hand you could have the parts bulk fabricated (either by 3D print or conventional plastic production) for a fraction of the price and be able to mail it anywhere in the world with change from $10. In the non magic world there are plenty of companies (and websites) selling "ready to print" models and if you look at the number of actual downloads (and the mountain of customer support and print-setting-variations they have to provide) you'll see that even for mass market items the actual market is tiny.
"Ingenious" - Ben Brantley: New York Times

thomasmoorecreative

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » November 3rd, 2022, 9:43 am

Excellent notes. thank you. My gaff is a semi-circular piece of black plastic about 2" in diameter, and 1/8" thick, with a 1/2" shoulder, so it is very simple to make.

CalvinSze
Favorite Magician: Derren Brown

Postby CalvinSze » November 21st, 2022, 9:31 am

MaxwellPritchard wrote:Hello Bob. Calvin Sze has posted on here a few times, offering (mostly free, I think) files for 3D-printed props and gimmicks of his own design.

Thanks for the mention, Maxwell Pritchard. All my previous creations are now free for download and instructions uploaded for free viewing on my YouTube channel. My upcoming creations will likely be free as well. You guys may not believe: I make everything with TinkerCAD, a free platform for kids, which is actually very powerful.

If you’re not filling the prop with liquid or stressing it, you don’t need to care much about changing settings as a beginner.

My upcoming project is an ice dumper, just in case anyone finds this interesting.

從我的iPhone使用Tapatalk 發送

Return to “Close-Up Magic”