Most pliable deck of cards out there…

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
I.M. Magician
Favorite Magician: All of the very best!

Most pliable deck of cards out there…

Postby I.M. Magician » July 23rd, 2022, 6:50 pm

I want to know which deck of playing cards available these days is considered to be the most pliable.

Please post which deck fits the bill in your opinion. Thanks all!

PressureFan
Favorite Magician: Brian Gillis

Re: Most pliable deck of cards out there…

Postby PressureFan » July 23rd, 2022, 8:12 pm

Aviatiors break in easily and stay supple.

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » July 24th, 2022, 11:26 am

I find the marked Bicycles from Penguin seem to be on a slightly thinner, more flexible stock than the usual.

I.M. Magician

Postby I.M. Magician » July 24th, 2022, 2:08 pm

I have not handled an Aviator deck for several decades. Now I need to buy a fresh deck and try them out. Thanks for the tip Pressure Fan.

Hmmm…I wonder why marked bikes would be different stock. That would not help to read them as far as I know. Thank you Jack.

So, which are better…blue bikes or red bikes and why? Just kidding… :lol:

By the way, I have been threatening to once again learn some card effects (I use to be capable of doing card magic for an hour straight but after more than 40 years of not doing any, I forgot every one I knew)I like for several years and finally began doing so this weekend. While doing so, I started thinking that if I use a deck I am more comfortable with, I will get there faster and easier. I am currently using a deck of Superior Brand which I do like but I am wondering if I can use something even better for my needs. Maybe not but worth trying.

After decades of putting card magic aside and enjoying props, I feel the need to change directions. Variety is the spice of life huh.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 24th, 2022, 2:19 pm

When USPC does a custom job, you can pick both the stock and finish. That's why the marked cards are different.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » July 24th, 2022, 2:22 pm

I agree with Jack on the Elites from Penguin.

I.M. Magician

Postby I.M. Magician » July 24th, 2022, 2:40 pm

CONFUSION ALERT!

Jack suggested Penguin Marked Bicycles and Tom suggested Penguin Elites. Are they not two different decks?

BarryAllen
Favorite Magician: Joe Riding & Chan Cansta.

Postby BarryAllen » August 10th, 2022, 4:40 pm

Just a heads up.

I last bought some Aviators in 2019. Far from being their old pliable, cheapy selves, they were much thicker than Bicycle/Bee stock. The nearest comparison I can make is that they actually mirrored the old Alladin Packs; thick with a very slippery finish.

If you need the pliability for card manips. such as split fans, etc. then you'd need fingers of steel.

Sean Piper

Postby Sean Piper » August 10th, 2022, 5:25 pm

I.M. Magician wrote:CONFUSION ALERT!

Jack suggested Penguin Marked Bicycles and Tom suggested Penguin Elites. Are they not two different decks?

From Penguin: "Our Marked Cards are now printed on the U.S. Playing Card Company’s ELITE STOCK."

I.M. Magician

Postby I.M. Magician » August 10th, 2022, 5:37 pm

Sean Piper wrote:
I.M. Magician wrote:CONFUSION ALERT!

From Penguin: "Our Marked Cards are now printed on the U.S. Playing Card Company’s ELITE STOCK."

Thank you for the clarification!

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Postby Ted M » August 10th, 2022, 8:21 pm

BarryAllen wrote:Just a heads up.

I last bought some Aviators in 2019. Far from being their old pliable, cheapy selves, they were much thicker than Bicycle/Bee stock. The nearest comparison I can make is that they actually mirrored the old Alladin Packs; thick with a very slippery finish.

If you need the pliability for card manips. such as split fans, etc. then you'd need fingers of steel.

I admittedly haven't bought Aviators in a long time, but I've always considered them more stiff like plywood than pliable...

I.M. Magician

Postby I.M. Magician » August 10th, 2022, 8:41 pm

I may just stay with Superior Brand cards. I do like them. After handling a deck of Bicycles for some months, I switched to a Superior Brand deck and noticed a pleasant difference.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » August 10th, 2022, 10:45 pm

I second Jack and Tom G on the Bike Elites. For the stiffest cards, it's the Turner Gold Seal Bikes. The Superiors fall somewhere in between.

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » August 11th, 2022, 6:56 am

IM yes, I was referring to the Elites. The marked decks are a different stock.

Anthony Vinson

Postby Anthony Vinson » August 12th, 2022, 6:55 am

I'm with Tom on the Penguin Elites. For the money, one of the nicest handling decks on the market. The Talley-Ho Thin-Crushed Stock are also nice, albeit a couple of dollars more per deck than the Elites.

Av

kkelly

Postby kkelly » August 15th, 2022, 3:49 pm

i doubt you will find cards more pliable that the phoenix double decker cards. i guess it depends on what you want to do with them.

kreylek

Postby kreylek » August 17th, 2022, 11:41 am

I'm the Production Manager for playing cards at Penguin, so I can speak about the Elite & Marked Cards with a certain degree of assuredness. :)

The first-ever batch of Marked Cards was done on standard Bicycle stock. This was a batch in 2017 of 5k decks that sold out in one day, so they are long since off the market.

Bicycle Elite Edition has always been on our thin-crushed Elite stock. All runs of the Marked Cards from the 2nd printing onward have also been on the thin-crushed Elite stock.

Today, no matter which one you buy, the specs to which they are ordered are the same.

Any differences between the two in terms of thickness, feel, etc would be down to normal variance between one batch of paper to another, environmental factors, etc.

You can basically think of the Marked Cards as a marked version of Bicycle Elite. The stocks are NOT different.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”