Color Changing Knives Article Update

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
atkinsod

Color Changing Knives Article Update

Postby atkinsod » June 22nd, 2022, 4:59 pm

I've updated the Article on the Color Changing knives here:

https://magicref.net/magref/artknife.htm

The article provides a general overview of the color changing knives, then provides some photos of historical and current knives on the market. Also a section on knife cases, and a new section on "unknown" knives where I don't know who makes the set or I don't have a photo.

Brad Jeffers sent me some great photos of the Kanter knives
Craig Brooks (of Atlantis Magic) sent me a tidbit and photo about Merrill knives
Rhett Bryson sent me YEARS AGO a photo of Jeff Busby knives - somehow that never got uploaded (sorry Rhett!)

For those not familiar with the website, this is also a section that lists the table-of-contents for over 6000 magic books.
That specific page is here: https://magicref.net/magicbooks/index.htm

Still updating!

Enjoy! Doug Atkinson
https://www.magicref.net

Philippe Billot

Re: Color Changing Knives Article Update

Postby Philippe Billot » June 22nd, 2022, 5:39 pm

Good job, Doug. I always quote your website in my articles.

I have no more information for Jeans but in The Collected Works of Alex Elmsley, They (Alex and stephen Minch) confirm Jeans was the first to do a routine of Color Changing knives.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 22nd, 2022, 5:46 pm

I have a nice set of original Merrill knives that I bought directly from Merrill while we were standing in Tannen's one day. Must have been 1974 or so.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » June 22nd, 2022, 6:03 pm

Love the color changing knives. Laymen do too! I am very happy with the knives I've gotten from Joe Mogar (the "perfect" knife), and also picked up a set of handmade custom made knives recently from Flavio Casavalle from Argentina: http://casavalleknives.com They are fabulous. Unfortunately, Joe has had his hands full being a caretaker for his wife the last several years. My understanding is that, sadly, he finally agreed for her to be taken off life support recently. I can't imagine how hard that would be to do when someone has been your faithful lifelong companion. Joe is a kind and extremely knowledgeable man and awesome at performing the CCK. He would always answer the phone personally, and loved to talk knives and magic.

Here's a vanish I worked out to conclude my routine with the Mogar perfect knives. https://www.youtube.com/shorts/n1n4jbCNbN4

atkinsod

Postby atkinsod » June 22nd, 2022, 7:20 pm

Agree so much about Joe - I had purchased an early set, and he sent me some newer ones without even my asking because he had updated the colors and wanted to make sure if I ever bought any other knives that the colors would still match! Sadly I never made it to Joe's miniature horse farm while I lived (relatively) close there in NJ. Sad to hear about his current situation.

atkinsod

Postby atkinsod » June 22nd, 2022, 7:22 pm

Vanish looked good, by the way!

atkinsod

Postby atkinsod » June 22nd, 2022, 7:27 pm

@Philippe - thanks for the confirmation about Walter Jeans. The two earliest knives I've seen advertised (though I haven't done an exhaustive search) were the Kanter's knives referenced in 1935, and Gamage advertised theirs in 1936. I've never seen a picture or photo of the Gamage knives.

I had some Merrill knives. The fit and finish were very good in the originals, and they handle great, but I did find them a little on the skinny side. I decided not to collect knives (even though I still have a few sets), but always wonder if I might regret selling some of the sets I've had!

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » June 22nd, 2022, 8:23 pm

atkinsod wrote:Vanish looked good, by the way!

Thank you! I'm finally getting a chance to sink my teeth into the article.

Joe Lyons
Favorite Magician: Wonder

Postby Joe Lyons » June 23rd, 2022, 7:52 am

atkinsod wrote:
For those not familiar with the website, this is also a section that lists the table-of-contents for over 6000 magic books.
That specific page is here: https://magicref.net/magicbooks/index.htm

I've used this excellent resource for years.

Thank you for it.

atkinsod

Postby atkinsod » June 23rd, 2022, 9:06 am

I had the opportunity to correspond with J.P. Jackson about knives around 2006. He used to work at Brad Burt's magic shop, and he made custom knives based on the Case brand, which are nice quality knives. I traded him a base Case knife I had that he wanted to use to create a set, and he sent me an additional Enardoe style knife in exchange. I do wish I had shelled out for a Case set back then...that's a set I would have kept! :D

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » June 23rd, 2022, 9:28 am

atkinsod wrote:I had the opportunity to correspond with J.P. Jackson about knives around 2006. He used to work at Brad Burt's magic shop, and he made custom knives based on the Case brand, which are nice quality knives. I traded him a base Case knife I had that he wanted to use to create a set, and he sent me an additional Enardoe style knife in exchange. I do wish I had shelled out for a Case set back then...that's a set I would have kept! :D

I acquired a set of the Enardoe knives many years ago, which I still have and use from time-to-time. I really like them. I don't have a clear memory of where I got them from, although it may have been from Brad, since I purchased a lot of stuff from him once upon a time. Brad was such a friendly and knowledgeable magician and magic teacher, and an excellent performer.

Your article is fabulous. I'm really enjoying it and learning a lot.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”