Precognition Paradox Plot

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
JHostler

Precognition Paradox Plot

Postby JHostler » June 9th, 2022, 7:25 am

While being "off by one" (in terms of card value or position) is typically leveraged as either an out or the lead-in to a sucker effect or kicker, I've been toying with what might qualify as a new angle/plot. The "might" demands further exploration/validation, hence my post here. In short:

A volunteer names a card and a number. The deck is dealt down to the selected position, where an apparently random pasteboard is found. A prediction is then shown to describe the performer’s error perfectly – naming this random card and indicating “off by one.” The very NEXT card proves to be the one named.

All plays perfectly into a philosophical discussion/script concerning how a future accurately foreseen can be predicted but not changed (the "paradox" in a loose sense).

This is obviously just ACAAN with a predictive wrinkle - but one serving three key purposes: 1) Lending a unique plot hook, 2) allowing for a variety of procedural strategies unavailable in the straight ACAAN format, and 3) leaving a long-term impression that the freely-named card and number were themselves predicted. I've published one version in the Aunt Emma manuscript and have a few more in development, but wonder who else might have trampled this very path. All assistance greatly appreciated...
"The gnomes' ambition is handicapped by laziness." Adapted from Charles Bukowski, and clearly evident at http://www.gnominal.com

Return to “Close-Up Magic”