Ricky Jay and Jimmy Fallon

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Dan McLean

Ricky Jay and Jimmy Fallon

Postby Dan McLean » May 2nd, 2022, 4:29 pm

Hey,

Back on March 31, 2014, Ricky Jay appeared on the Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon. It was Fallon's first season. Ricky performed a 10 card poker deal variation called Losing End Poker by Jon Racherbaumer. You'll find it in his "Jonah Ploys" and at more detailed description in in Bob Farmer's "The Bammo Ten Card Deal Dossier". Like many, my 10 card poker deal was direct from Harry Lorayne's "Decksterity". And still is. But for short and sweet it's hard to beat Racherbaumer's variation.

Bet you'd like to see Ricky perform it. Me too. Problem is that it's disappeared from the net. You'll find Ricky Jay clips going as far back as the Doug Henning, Letterman, Conan, etc. But not Fallon. I gotta believe this is Jimmy Fallon thing. There are too many Ricky Jays clips out there to believe there's been some effort to erase his performances.

I've tried the Tonight Show website and everything else I can think of. Its appears Fallon's entire first season is MIA.

I'm thinking this clip exists in some Ricky Jay retrospective. I've seen many of them.

Anybody know where it lurks?

Thanx,

D

Tarotist
Favorite Magician: David Nixon

Re: Ricky Jay and Jimmy Fallon

Postby Tarotist » May 2nd, 2022, 5:09 pm

No dark plot here. These things happen on television. Archived stuff disappears. I have searched for my own appearances but all except one (which was not magic related) they have all vanished.

However the clip I would almost die to see again far more than the Ricky Jay one was the one I saw as a teenager called "Into Thin Air". As I recall it was a 30 minute BBC show featuring Dai Vernon, Slydini and Cy Endfield all on the same show. They were all in their prime. Alas the show has vanished into obscurity never to be seen again. It was in the days of black and white television which should give you an idea how old it was. You really have to be British and of a certain age to have seen it. I am glad I did. I wonder if anyone else here ever saw it?

Leo Garet
Favorite Magician: Nobody In Particular

Postby Leo Garet » May 3rd, 2022, 5:44 am

I am of an age to have seen this. I can't recall which channel it was on, but I suspect it was everybody's favourite, the BBC. "Get Rid," was their mantra back then and still is to an extent even now.

Loads of good stuff from Al Koran to Robert Harbin to David Nixon and Chan Canasta.....Gone forever.

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » May 3rd, 2022, 9:15 am

If the whole first season is gone, it may signal a re-packaging of the material for syndication, re-sale on video media, or some conglomeration deal. Probably more about Fallon than Jay.

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » May 3rd, 2022, 11:32 am

Leo Garet wrote:I am of an age to have seen this. I can't recall which channel it was on, but I suspect it was everybody's favourite, the BBC. "Get Rid," was their mantra back then and still is to an extent even now.

Loads of good stuff from Al Koran to Robert Harbin to David Nixon and Chan Canasta.....Gone forever.

It probably was the BBC. In fact I am not even sure at that time there were any other channels except the BBC! Anyway, there is still a lot of stuff around on You Tube of David Nixon who was actually my favourite magician although I suspect many American magicians may never have heard of him although he was a household name in the UK. There are also a few clips around of Chan Canasta. Hardly anything of Al Koran except an appearance on American television on the Ed Sullivan show. As for Robert Harbin there is only one clip of any note but it was a damn good one. It showed the very first time he performed the Zig Zag illusion and it created a sensation at the time.

But yes. A lot of the good stuff is gone forever.

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » May 3rd, 2022, 11:36 am

Orlan

Postby Orlan » May 5th, 2022, 1:37 am

Dan McLean wrote:

Thanx,

D

Found it! I also remember seeing the clip shortly after it came out. This method can also be found in Weber's TEN (binary poker). After getting TEN, I had to get Bob Farmer's book. Both are great.

It's hosted on the internet archive website, and split up into several 1-2 minute segments. When you visit the website, scroll to the right and you'll be able to find the thumbnails with Ricky Jay and play those segments.

https://archive.org/details/KNTV_201404 ... mmy_Fallon

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 5th, 2022, 9:37 am

Ricky is doing a version of the Racherbaumer trick, not Michael Weber's handling.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Denis Behr

Postby Denis Behr » May 5th, 2022, 12:18 pm

The principle in this type of Ten Card Poker Deal has also caught the eye of Karl Fulves who published various applications. I made an entire category for it back then, see HERE.

Tom Frame
Favorite Magician: Del Ray

Postby Tom Frame » May 5th, 2022, 6:07 pm

Here's my spin on Jon's exquisite effect. In each round of selections, before the participant selects one of the two potential cards, I show the face of one, and later both, of the cards to them for their consideration. This handling significantly increases their feeling of control. They see their potential cards. I never look at my cards.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » May 5th, 2022, 7:28 pm

For the complete routine and many others see:

https://houdini.com/bammo-ten-card-deal ... m-dvl.html

Dan McLean

Postby Dan McLean » May 6th, 2022, 11:58 am

Orlan wrote:
Dan McLean wrote:

Thanx,

D

Found it! I also remember seeing the clip shortly after it came out. This method can also be found in Weber's TEN (binary poker). After getting TEN, I had to get Bob Farmer's book. Both are great.

It's hosted on the internet archive website, and split up into several 1-2 minute segments. When you visit the website, scroll to the right and you'll be able to find the thumbnails with Ricky Jay and play those segments.

https://archive.org/details/KNTV_201404 ... mmy_Fallon

Thank you!

Andy Galloway

Postby Andy Galloway » May 7th, 2022, 3:08 pm

I also remember seeing the BBC television show with Dai Vernon, Slydini and Cy Endfield which could have been in 1958 as both Vernon and Slydini were in Britain that year giving lectures. John Ramsay and I went to Edinburgh to see them which was an unforgettable experience for me.

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » May 8th, 2022, 12:03 am

Andy Galloway wrote:I also remember seeing the BBC television show with Dai Vernon, Slydini and Cy Endfield which could have been in 1958 as both Vernon and Slydini were in Britain that year giving lectures. John Ramsay and I went to Edinburgh to see them which was an unforgettable experience for me.

It was 15th September 1960 according to this

https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/488edda16ce ... 6e25803478

Marco Pusterla

Postby Marco Pusterla » May 8th, 2022, 3:46 am

Actually, the first broadcasting of "Into Thin Air" was on 13 April 1959 at 10:15, according to Abracadabra. It was repeated on 15th September 1960 as Mark correctly says. The programme was indeed recorded and it seems it was edited for the 1960 re-screening, but it seems to have been "lost" now... The BBC did not start to archive their programmes until 1981, and often earlier recordings were re-recorded over.
Marco Pusterla - https://mpmagic.co.uk

Ye Olde Magic Mag: magazine on magic history and collecting.

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » May 8th, 2022, 7:13 am

In that case I suspect the version I saw was the 1959 version.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”