Where to perform on a rectangular table

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
erdnasephile

Where to perform on a rectangular table

Postby erdnasephile » December 24th, 2021, 2:55 pm

Quick question for those table-hoppers/banquet magicians out there.
I have to do a close-up family show for about 12 people sitting at a pretty long rectangular table. Because of the distance and size, I've tried to raise everything to chest level.
Question: Would you perform at the head (i.e., short edge) of the table or at the middle of the long end of the table?
I'm thinking the middle of the long end makes sense to get more people closer to the action, but I will gladly defer to those of you with experience in this situation.
Thanks and Merry Christmas!

Brad Henderson

Re: Where to perform on a rectangular table

Postby Brad Henderson » December 24th, 2021, 3:15 pm

Middle of long side. Gives you greater access to everyone to participate. Better site lines overall. When at head people lean in and those on far end cannot see.

AJM

Postby AJM » December 24th, 2021, 3:26 pm

Will certainly be a tough gig if everyone is sitting on the same side of the table as you!

I’m sure the big man at the centre of Da Vinci’s mural found it equally challenging. And he had serious chops. His levitation, I believe, was something to behold.

Apparently.

Andrew

David Ben

Postby David Ben » December 24th, 2021, 3:41 pm

From my experience, I suggest you perform some of the material at one end, and shift to the other end during the course of the performance. You are not on a stage. You can move freely from one point, to another, or in the middle of it if places you for a particular effect beside the person you believe may be the best conduit to the others for that piece. Be in control and, when moving to another area, just ask them to shift their chairs a bit so you can squeeze in.

Alternatively, if the set is not too long, start performing at one end, pause and then ask the people at the other end to stand up, and come to your end so that they are standing on either side of you.

Make it feel organic, and say how great it is to perform in such an intimate setting and, if you elect to move around, let them know at the beginning that you will be moving around, and that “there are no safe seats (said with a smile.)

As they say, knock’em dead!

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » December 24th, 2021, 9:13 pm

Brad Henderson wrote:Middle of long side. Gives you greater access to everyone to participate. Better site lines overall. When at head people lean in and those on far end cannot see.

I agree with Brad's opinion and reasoning 100%.

Tarotist
Favorite Magician: David Nixon

Postby Tarotist » December 24th, 2021, 9:26 pm

Me too.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » December 24th, 2021, 11:45 pm

Thank you all for the great, practical advice! I especially like the suggestion of moving around and being organic. After thinking about how to block the performance, it's also going to work great to cover a necessary sleight. I'm really excited to try this!
I appreciate all you folks---thanks again!

Return to “Close-Up Magic”