My creative process

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Michael Rubinstein
Favorite Magician: Michael Rubinstein

My creative process

Postby Michael Rubinstein » December 12th, 2021, 2:16 pm

I recently wrote this for Danny Goldsmith's blog. I hope you enjoy it. And while there, take a look around Danny's website. He does some very creative stuff himself!
https://www.dannygoldsmithmagic.com/pos ... rubinstein

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Re: My creative process

Postby MagicbyAlfred » December 13th, 2021, 8:37 am

Thank you very much for sharing this gold mine of information and concepts. Just reading it through once, already makes me feel like my coin magic is going to be elevated to a new level. Of course, putting the time in to apply the information will be indispensable to significant improvement, but it will be a labor of love. And exercising our creativity to come up with something entertaining and uniquely ours is fun and tremendously gratifying. Even more important than putting time into practice is practicing effectively, by, among other things, seeking to minimize the flaws in each trick/routine, as the essay emphasizes.

Another super-important point discussed in the essay (among a wealth of priceless tips), is the value of filming oneself. With our cell phones, we have an instant video camera virtually always at our fingertips, and since I have made it a habit to video myself in the past few years, both as to individual moves and sequences and complete routines (yes, it can be sobering!), I have seen significant improvement in my coin magic, and my magic in general.

I have focused primarily on cards for so long, now it is time to give coins at least equal time, so I rarely go for a walk or watch TV without a coin(s) in my hand. I have found that people love coin magic and appreciate the beauty of good sleight of hand with coins, and how magical and entertaining it can be, especially with good patter, or even sometimes just done to music.

Michael Rubinstein
Favorite Magician: Michael Rubinstein

Re: My creative process

Postby Michael Rubinstein » December 3rd, 2022, 10:11 am

Hi all. In light of the fact I just performed this routine on Penn and Teller Fool Us (link is here if you missed it )
https://youtu.be/2do4Mbvihpk
I thought it might be nice to resurrect this thread so you can see how I came up with the basic premise of the routine, and how it developed. This doesn't go into the entire routine, just the basic idea.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”