Magnetic Card Manifesto

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Tom Frame
Favorite Magician: Del Ray

Magnetic Card Manifesto

Postby Tom Frame » September 3rd, 2021, 7:49 pm

Guys,

This isn’t an advertisement. I’m merely telling a tale and conducting a survey.

I recently discovered that I can split cards. Over the past month or so, I’ve split an unhealthy amount of cards. Thanks to Eoin O’Hare’s wonderful Corner Splitter and Aligner jigs, I have, surprisingly, become quite proficient. To put the split cards to good use, I bought a Bob Farmer-recommended sticker-making machine, a brayer, polycarbonate pressing plates, clamps and a lighted, magnifying headset.

When I want “normal” gaffed cards (double-faced, double-backed, modified face or back), I simply buy them. I feel no desire to make them. I have something else in mind for my growing stack of split cards.

For over a year, I’ve been ferociously fiddling with magnets. Considering that my favorite magician was Del Ray, I’m baffled why I haven’t experimented with magnets sooner.

When you search online for “magnetic card”, most of the time, the results erroneously lead you to a steel shim card. A steel shim card isn’t a magnetic card. It can merely attract a magnet.

In most cases, including the laughable “Single-Edge Magnetic Card,” the “card” consists of a thin sheet of steel shim glued between two cards. The dealers assure you that no one can tell the difference in the thickness of the card. Depending on the source, the card costs $6.00 - $11.00.

You’ll find a few sources for a steel shim card made by splitting one card, inserting the shim between the three layers and re-gluing and pressing the card. The card costs $9.00. It’s a powerful, invisible tool, but it only attracts magnets.

A true magnetic card attracts not only magnets, but steel shim as well. It is undeniably twice as useful as a steel shim card. In most cases, the “card” consists of a thin disc magnet glued between two cards. The dealers assure you that no one can tell the difference in the thickness of the card. The card costs from $6.00 - $11.00.

I found one source for a “recessed” magnetic card created from one card. The photo of the card depicts a rather thick disc magnet sitting on the back of a card. If that’s what a “recessed” magnetic card looks like, it’s not worth $9.00.

I have acquired a stash of neodymium disc magnets that are 10mm (about 3/8”) in diameter and 0.4mm (1/64”) thick. I’ve successfully inserted them into single cards. I use court cards for additional camouflage. The resultant pasteboard powerhouses look like, uh, normal cards.

For Matrix, I only use quarters because they are more common than half dollars. Imagine a Matrix routine, using magnetic cards and two or more magnetic or steel shim quarters. When it’s time to reveal that the quarter has vanished, forget the Pick-Up move. Grab the card by its extreme corner and spin it in the air. Catch it and cleanly display both of its sides. Either retain the quarter in finger palm or re-stick the quarter to the face of the card and toss the card face down onto the table.

I inserted two magnets in diagonal corners of each of the four Jacks. The Jacks stick together in perfect alignment, allowing them to be displayed, at a reasonable distance, as a single card. This arrangement can be exploited for productions, color changes, Cards Across, Collectors and sandwich effects.

Two magnets glued inside the card case allow a double-magnet card or cards to adhere to the bottom of the case in perfect alignment. This allows you to sneakily load or steal cards. Great for Card to Case.

There are applications for Rising Cards, Haunted Deck and various mental effects.

I’m enjoying making, using and developing applications for these gaffs. I tell you all of this to run an idea up ye olde flagpole. Am I the only person who gives a rat’s ass about magnetic cards? Is there a market for them? Do you suppose anyone would buy them if I chose to sell them for something around $12-$15 per card?

I’m happy to keep them to myself. But they open up so many mind-blowing possibilities that I had to share my enthusiasm with you. Please chime in if you’re interested in magnetic cards or with your thoughts about the potential market.

I have photos of the gaffs, but there’s nothing to see. If you’d like to see them anyway, send a text to me at 415) 996-4570 and I’ll send the photos to you.

I appreciate your feedback.

Bob Farmer

Re: Magnetic Card Manifesto

Postby Bob Farmer » September 4th, 2021, 6:55 am

For a matrix, rather than playing cards, I used two credit cards that I attached a thin magnetic strip to. Canadian coins are attracted to magnets. Using credit cards always made more sense to me than playing cards. You can buy very thin credit card-sized blanks so you could conceal the magnet inside the card. Thickness will not be noticed.

You can also buy on Amazon fake Morgan dollars that can be picked up by a magnet.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 4th, 2021, 12:53 pm

I would never use magnets or magnetic cards or coins for a Coin Assembly. There's no reason (even though Derek Dingle did just that many years ago in an item marketed by Fabjance).
Al Baker marketed a Rising Card using magnets. It's quite interesting.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Curtis Kam

Postby Curtis Kam » September 4th, 2021, 5:10 pm

But, with US quarters, the coins have to be gaffed anyway. May as well put the magnets in there, while you’re gaffing. The only advantage magnetic cards would offer is they would allow you to do the trick with Canadian coins, impromptu.

See also the new gaffage from Rocco, Maynard et. al.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tom Frame

Postby Tom Frame » September 4th, 2021, 5:54 pm

I got my magnetic quarters and all of my other gaffed coins from Roy Kuepper. His does beautiful work.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » September 4th, 2021, 6:15 pm

In principle you could insert two magnets in each card [i]of reversed polarity[i] to make a one-way or r/s pack. Multi-card turnovers will be automatically aligned... but be mindful of turning cards around when doing counting or display actions. No idea whether 52 such cards would be too thick to fit the entire pack in a regular cardcase.

Are you using the middle layer from the playing card or replacing that?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Tom Frame

Postby Tom Frame » September 4th, 2021, 7:18 pm

Hi Jon,

I use all three layers. Two layers is too flimsy.

During the performance of most cards effects, the principle cards are either face up most of the time or face down most of the time. If a card (or cards) is face down down most of the time, like in Matrix, I insert the magnet between a two-layer back and a single layer face.

If a card is face up most of the time, I insert the magnet between a two-layer face and a single layer back.

The side of the card that is going to visible most of the time is always covered by two layers to provide the greatest shade.

By the way, I'm not suggesting that magnetic cards and magnetic coins should be used in place of sleight of hand. I'm advocating for their use to complement sleight of hand. Magnets can produce magical moments that cannot be achieved by sleight of hand alone.

Al Schneider

Postby Al Schneider » September 30th, 2021, 2:51 pm

Well, you mentioned Matrix.
I don't know why you would want to go to all the trouble of getting magnet cards.
Matrix just isn't that difficult.
And if you use an extra coin method, it's just 3 pickups.
Takes about 5 min to learn. Even if you screw it up it works.
But here is another approach to using magnets with matrix,
Get some kind of stone with a magnet inside.
Use the stone to wave over the cards to make the magic happen.
Use magnetic coins
Hold the stone when you pick up a card.
Kind of like a magnetic pickup.
You can see how that would work.
Then use business cards, credit, bills, etc.

Anyway, i appreciate your effort with the concept.
Actually, very well done.
I could see myself playing with these but I normally get the effect first then get the gims to support the effect.
Really, very well done.
As I think about it, a playing card on top of a glass. coins penetrate the card to fall into the glass.
Damn, that could be really pretty. Somebody must have done that.
The single absolute truth is that we don't know.

Al Schneider

Postby Al Schneider » September 30th, 2021, 3:01 pm

Sorry, had another thought.
Think shot glass, covering three halves ([)
sitting on single card.
On a glass.
Hmmmmmmm.
Better than coins thru table?
The single absolute truth is that we don't know.

Tom Frame

Postby Tom Frame » September 30th, 2021, 6:36 pm

Al,

I've been performing your Matrix for 40 years. It's a classic and needs no improvement.

Thanks for your kind words about my obsession. I like your ideas about magnetic applications. I just happen to have a stone with a magnet inside!

PM me your address and I'll send you a card or two.

Much respect,

Tom

Tom Frame

Postby Tom Frame » September 30th, 2021, 7:22 pm

In honor of you, Al.

The first three coins travelled effortlessly. But the damn fourth coin won't move! You avert your gaze to a spectator and moan and apologize to her. At the same time, the crowd sees this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fd7v7651vd6ps ... x.MOV?dl=0

Tom Frame

Postby Tom Frame » October 7th, 2021, 3:51 pm

Here are photos of the face and back of what will henceforth be known as a "Magneticard." This is a thick-face card, meaning that the face is covered with two layers of paper and the back is covered with one layer. As you can see, there's nothing to see.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7yn1u6s5gl1km ... d.JPG?dl=0

Even the back looks normal.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ywopdrhg48c1w ... 2.JPG?dl=0

Tom Frame

Postby Tom Frame » October 7th, 2021, 11:42 pm

“As I think about it, a playing card on top of a glass. Coins penetrate the card to fall into the glass. Damn, that could be really pretty. Somebody must have done that.”

Al,

With a Magneticard and magnetic coins, two methods immediately spring to mind.

Heavily Gimmicked: It’s all about polarity. Adhere a magnetic coin (mc#1) to the face of a Magneticard (M#1), so that when the card is face down, the magnet’s South Pole is face up. Insert the combo into the deck.

Insert Magneticard #2 (M#2), with its South Pole face down, into the deck.

Remove M#1 from the deck and place the combo face down over a shot glass.

Remove M#2 from the deck and table it face down. Set the deck aside.

Produce or simply display a magnetic coin (mc#2). Place it, North Pole up, on top of, and off center from the magnet in M#1.

Pick up M#2. Two actions occur quickly, in one continuous tap/stroke motion. With your right hand, tap M#2 against mc#2. The repellent magnetic fields will cause the hidden mc#1 coin to fall into the shot glass. In a continuous, swirling motion, stroke M#2 over mc#2, attaching the coin to M#2.

With your right hand, use the edge of M#2 to flip M#1 face up onto the table. With your left hand, slide the shot glass toward the crowd for inspection. Simultaneously, your right fingers pull mc#2 from the face of M#2, hide mc#2 in finger palm and toss M#2 recklessly onto the table.

Dispose of mc#2 at your leisure.

Less Gimmicked: Adhere a magnetic coin to the face of a Magneticard. Insert the combo into the deck.

Remove M#1 from the deck and place the combo face down over a shot glass.

Produce or simply display a regular coin.

Pick up the coin with your left hand and use your best false transfer to convince the crowd that you’ve placed the coin into your right hand. Al’s slow, beautiful, retention vanish is the best I’ve seen.

Pretend to hold the coin behind your right fingertips. Tap your right fingertips against the back of M#1, causing the coin to dislodge and fall into the shot glass. Immediately display your empty right hand and use it to push the shot glass toward the crowd. Simultaneously, your left hand ditches its coin.

katterfelt0
Favorite Magician: Depends on the day. Today, Rick Maue.

Postby katterfelt0 » October 8th, 2021, 9:05 am

Tom Frame wrote:Here are photos of the face and back of what will henceforth be known as a "Magneticard." This is a thick-face card, meaning that the face is covered with two layers of paper and the back is covered with one layer. As you can see, there's nothing to see.

Tom, do you use glue stick to adhere the card during construction?
Effect and method are inextricably linked.

Tom Frame

Postby Tom Frame » October 8th, 2021, 10:47 am

Katterfelt0,

Oh hell no! Glue stick is ghastly. The resultant card is overly pliable and feels dough-ish and wrong. It lacks the rigidity and snap of a regular card.

For prototypes, I use Elmer's wrinkle-free rubber cement. If the card looks good, I proceed.

I produce the card with a Create-A-Sticker Mini device. It applies an even layer of adhesive to the layer of card that passes through it. I don't know what kind of adhesive is at play, but the resultant card speaks for itself.

katterfelt0
Favorite Magician: Depends on the day. Today, Rick Maue.

Postby katterfelt0 » October 8th, 2021, 3:56 pm

Tom Frame wrote:I produce the card with a Create-A-Sticker Mini device. It applies an even layer of adhesive to the layer of card that passes through it. I don't know what kind of adhesive is at play, but the resultant card speaks for itself.

This puppy? https://www.xyron.com/c/sticker-makers/ ... =relevance It's not too expensive so that's a plus for those of us on fixed incomes.
Effect and method are inextricably linked.

Tom Frame

Postby Tom Frame » October 8th, 2021, 5:09 pm

Yep, that's the pasteboard puppy. No batteries, no electricity. It's terrific!

Return to “Close-Up Magic”