Versatile Outjog Control

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
mrmagik68
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Versatile Outjog Control

Postby mrmagik68 » August 10th, 2021, 3:04 pm

Hey folks,

I've recently become enamored with the Versatile Outjog Control. I never bothered to learn this sleight but Darly's, The Out-of-Body Experience routine has changed that. Presented well, I think this effect is a quick, direct powerhouse. I decided to learn not just the version that Daryl teaches but also the original method from Frank Simon's Versatile Card Magic. I'm wondering, are there any other published handlings or variations of this sleight from other magicians? I know Harapan has a book out but I'm trying to reduce the amount of magic I've been buying lately and want to rely on the books/videos I currently have. I did look up Conjuring Archives but some of the references Denis lists, I don't have in my library. Many thanks!

Roberto

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Versatile Outjog Control

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 10th, 2021, 6:33 pm

Larry Jennings is the originator, and you can read descriptions of his Immediate Bottom Placement in Jennings '67 and Classic Magic of Larry Jennings.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

mrmagik68

Postby mrmagik68 » August 10th, 2021, 8:37 pm

Thanks Richard! I had no idea Jenning was the originator of this sleight. I don't have Jennings '67 but I'll take a look at Classic Magic.

Roberto

Jeff Haas

Postby Jeff Haas » August 12th, 2021, 2:23 am

Daryl's trick is an excellent, quick routine. You can see him do it on Greater Magic Volume 7 - Daryl.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 12th, 2021, 12:08 pm

Jennings preferred not to outjog the card. He thought it was unnecessary and something really just for magicians.

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » August 12th, 2021, 4:22 pm

I don't 100% agree with Jennings. Sometimes you want to leave the outjog and set the deck down while going south (or whatever) with the actual selection. But for many (most?) cases, I do think Jennings is correct. It looks great just leaving the card (supposedly) in the middle of the deck while closing the spread (no outjog).

Philippe Billot

Postby Philippe Billot » August 13th, 2021, 2:34 am

As noted by Richard (I don't remember where and when, so I quote Jon Racherbaumer's words):

"the notion of switching a selection for an indifferent card while it is apparently upjogged can be traced to Edward Victor in 1945"

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 13th, 2021, 9:52 am

That's true, Philippe! Edward Victor did it during a cutting action if my memory is correct--not during a Cull.

Denis Behr

Postby Denis Behr » August 13th, 2021, 12:50 pm

There is a discussion about the roots on our site: https://www.conjuringcredits.com/doku.p ... ng_control
Richard is of course on Jennings's side.

mrmagik68

Postby mrmagik68 » August 14th, 2021, 8:35 pm

Jeff Haas wrote:Daryl's trick is an excellent, quick routine. You can see him do it on Greater Magic Volume 7 - Daryl.

I agree! Dary's routine lends a logical reason for outjogging the card. I'm already working on a presentation of my own for this. The trouble I'm running into every now and then is flashing the selection when pulling it with my right fingers during the squaring up of the deck. But yes, this is a great, quick effect.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”