How would you place these cards?

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
iainduncan
Favorite Magician: Jared Kopf

How would you place these cards?

Postby iainduncan » January 29th, 2021, 6:49 pm

I have received some very helpful suggestions here so far, so thanks everyone. Here's a question for the experts I'm curious about. I want to setup for an Undue Influence trick, which requires me to place two cards one at position 17, and one at position (52 - 16). I have an excuse for pulling them out in a previous trick, or they could be in the deck still. I could have a joker in the deck as an excuse to go through with a spread cull.

How would *you* get them there? (Coming out of previous tricks to setup ok).

thanks!

Jack Shalom

Re: How would you place these cards?

Postby Jack Shalom » January 30th, 2021, 12:14 pm

I'm no expert, but Simon's solution: selected cards start on top and bottom. Deck face up, push off 17 cards onto the right hand from the left ( 5 sets of 3 then two more). Then on top of the 17 cards in your right hand, push off another 18 cards (6 sets of 3). Remainder of cards in the left hand go on top of the right hand cards. Selected cards are now in positions 17 and 36 in the face-down deck.

Marco Pusterla

Postby Marco Pusterla » January 31st, 2021, 4:42 pm

Is it not enough to start with one card on top, one on the bottom, and do 4 in-faros?
Marco Pusterla - https://mpmagic.co.uk

Ye Olde Magic Mag: magazine on magic history and collecting.

iainduncan

Postby iainduncan » January 31st, 2021, 6:49 pm

Thanks fellows! Marco, I'm sure that would be great, but I don't think I'm quite at reliably and casually hitting 4 in faros every time!. I do have a pretty decent spread cull though, today I started playing with the method that is somewhere in one of the Giobbi books or videos of learning to push cards off quickly in threes, so I think there might be something there to work towards.

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » January 31st, 2021, 9:19 pm

Is it not enough to start with one card on top, one on the bottom, and do 4 in-faros?

Doesn't that put the top card at position 16? And the bottom at 37? Or am I miscalculating?

Marco Pusterla

Postby Marco Pusterla » February 1st, 2021, 2:45 am

Jack Shalom wrote:

Doesn't that put the top card at position 16? And the bottom at 37? Or am I miscalculating?

Doh! you're right! I haven't checked the OP's positions before posting! :shock: I've seen "52 - 16" and the 16 stuck in memory!

In this case, you need 4 OUT-faro and start with the two cards second from top and bottom, respectively.

4 faros are not that difficult, particularly if you use cards well cut, and that technique is worth paracticing, IMHO.
Marco Pusterla - https://mpmagic.co.uk

Ye Olde Magic Mag: magazine on magic history and collecting.

iainduncan

Postby iainduncan » February 1st, 2021, 10:48 am

I am certainly working on them Marco. But my personal record, including the deck split, is 19 in a row, so still a ways to go!

And yes, a new deck of trad cut cards makes a *big* difference. Which I guess means it would be good to have other ways to get into this too for impromptu settings with sub optimal cards. :-)

Return to “Close-Up Magic”