Faro trick suggestions?

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
iainduncan
Favorite Magician: Jared Kopf

Re: Faro trick suggestions?

Postby iainduncan » January 30th, 2021, 9:14 pm

Thanks for the tips. It does sound way more impressive with a boomerang catch!

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 31st, 2021, 11:50 am

I should add that the telescoped outer half of the deck only overlaps the inner end by about an inch.
I can always make a video and put a link here if necessary.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

iainduncan
Favorite Magician: Jared Kopf

Postby iainduncan » January 31st, 2021, 1:06 pm

I've love to see a video to see the boomerang catch! :-)

Daryl was Greatest
Favorite Magician: Daryl

Postby Daryl was Greatest » February 2nd, 2021, 4:58 pm

iainduncan wrote:Hi folks, just wondering if anyone would be up for sharing their favourite faro-based tricks, and sources for them is so? I finally have it clicking and want to start looking for rep this opens up.

thanks!

I'm kind of late to the party on this post, but here's what I know.

I'm not big on the faro since hitting a perfect faro is pretty hard for me, and the thought of doing it in performance is even more absurd, and the thought of hitting 8 in a row perfectly is just beyond my reasoning :lol: So I usually skip over faro tricks when I see them.

But, I think Michael Close would do six perfect faros on an Aronson stack, and then two perfect faros to "shuffle" the deck in performance, bringing him back to Aronson order and proceed with whatever mem deck trick he wanted to.

I've seen a similar effect where a new deck order deck is perfect faro'd a couple times, and then however many more times in performance to hit 8 perfect faros. Then the cards are shown all in perfect order. Like a chaos to order type of effect.

Also, I think I remember John Bannon doing a faro trick on Bullets after Dark. It was something of the effect of a sandwich effect if I remember right. Chosen card is lost, and then faro shuffled and the two aces sandwich it. But, it's been awhile so I might be completely off on that on! :)
My stay at home dad project, U Learn Magic

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » February 3rd, 2021, 7:00 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:So, to perform the Gun Trick, you tilt the outjogged part of the telescoped deck to the RIGHT (not the left, as Krenzel states in the book). This gives it the proper gun shape when held in the left hand.

The outer telescoped half should not be interlaced too much with the deck. Only a quarter inch.

Hold the deck loosely when you insert the "bullet" card. Push it in until you feel its outer end hit the inner end of the selection. They MUST be touching. The bullet card will only be injogged about a quarter inch.

When you get ready to shoot, tilt the outer end of the deck upward to a 45 degree angle. Hold it LOOSELY to avoid binding.

When you flick the inner end of the bullet card, it should fly out, spinning, and boomerang back to you. Catch it with your right hand, face toward the spectator.

Jaws will drop.

Dingle did the trick a lot, and felt it was worthless if you did not catch the selected card.

Richard, thanks so much for sharing this, and for explaining it in the necessary detail. The first time I tried it (in private, of course), I failed miserably, but the second time, I delightfully surprised myself. I'm quitting while I'm ahead for a day or so and savoring the moment, but I will be practicing this. The way I was doing it was so lame by comparison.

By the way, did you mean that the bullet card will be outjogged about a quarter of an inch?

magicfish

Postby magicfish » February 11th, 2021, 9:37 am

Alpha Beta Cent.
A baffling effect by Harry Lorayne based on a Cy Enfield trick.
This one is a miracle.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 11th, 2021, 11:03 am

Alfred, I meant the bullet card will be injogged a quarter inch after it is inserted into the deck. Its outer end is touching the lower corner of the outer half of the deck so it must be injogged.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

magicfish

Postby magicfish » February 20th, 2021, 9:56 pm

Alpha Beta Cent- Lorayne

Return to “Close-Up Magic”