Named card at any number? Research?

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

Named card at any number? Research?

Postby Guest » March 4th, 2003, 6:45 am

I have just finished reading the David Berglas book, VERY interesting even if you never use any of the routines, he has some great stories to tell.

I am trying to gather as much info as possible on the named card at any number, also known as The Berglas Effect.. The discription in Mr Berglas's book is very informative and compeling reading but we have all heard the stories of this seamingly impossible effect. I have to techniques but will be the first to admit that they are not as clean as some of the stories you hear.. Is this a case or stories being embelished, exagerated or not accurate. This topic was bought to my attention by Jon Allen and it seems worthy of its own thread. I'd appreciate any references, books etc that my open up a pathway to exploring this effect, also any detailed stories of seeing it performed.

Many thanks

MS

Re: Named card at any number? Research?

Postby Guest » March 4th, 2003, 7:27 am

The best source for this effect is Barrie Richardsons book; Theater of the Mind.
You will find 3 workable version of Any Card at Any Number in his book. The book has many excellent routines. Over 300 pages.

You can find it here:
HERMETIC PRESS

IanB

Postby IanB » March 4th, 2003, 10:52 am

Marc Paul seems (to me) to be the authority on this. I thought his version on Parkinson in the UK before Christmas was excellent.

He markets a version called "Affected by Berglas" through Kaymar which "simulates" the effect. It's not quite as clean as "name any card, any number, spectator deals to it". But it comes close.

Rgds,

Ian

Jon Allen

Postby Jon Allen » March 4th, 2003, 5:13 pm

This is one of those effects that seems to capture the imagination every so often. Iwa sintrigued by the variations out there as I am in the latter stages of developing a version of my own. Is it considered 'clean' if you deal the cards fairly rather than someone else?

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » March 4th, 2003, 5:54 pm

Originally posted by Jon Allen:
Is it considered 'clean' if you deal the cards fairly rather than someone else?
I don't know the "official" answer but it would seem to me that the effect only exists if there is independant verfication. Laymen know about "funny deals" and no matter how fairly you dealt false dealing would be an answer even if it wasn't the correct one.

Brian Marks

Postby Brian Marks » March 4th, 2003, 10:23 pm

there are 3 good threads. 2 in close up magic, both under the holy grail titles and one under mentalism as mental card tricks

Postby Guest » March 5th, 2003, 3:24 am

One of the very best methods is by Al Baker in his book Pet Sercrets ?(I think). Clean, direct and stunning; what more do you want.

Regards

Michael Vincent
;)

Postby Guest » March 5th, 2003, 9:47 am

Just curious, which has generated more interests and "solutions", The Berglas Effect or The Open Prediction ?

Postby Guest » March 6th, 2003, 6:14 am

Thanks Michael, Long time no see...
I have been extensively working with a stack and have had some pretty good results with variations on most of the above mentioned titles but did not know about the Al Baker version.. Thanks for that..

MS

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » March 8th, 2003, 6:13 am

Larry Jennings has a nice angle on this - one of ten cards is thought of - then appears at a named number.
The first half is wonderfully mathematical, the second half uses the Vernon approach to card at a named number...the trouble is, I can't remember where I read it - does it ring any bells with anyone???

Postby Guest » March 8th, 2003, 9:45 am

Larry Jennings has a nice angle on this - one of ten cards is thought of - then appears at a named number.
The first half is wonderfully mathematical, the second half uses the Vernon approach to card at a named number...the trouble is, I can't remember where I read it - does it ring any bells with anyone??? --DOM
Could be the "L.J. 10 Card Problem Variation" in "The Classic Magic of..."

The spectator's named card switches with the performer's named card, however.

--Randy Campbell

Denis Behr

Postby Denis Behr » March 9th, 2003, 3:52 am

Probably "Slap me again" from page 231 of the Classic Magic of Larry Jennings.

Denis

troublewit

Postby troublewit » March 9th, 2003, 3:54 pm

Barrie Richardson was already mentioned in this thread for his methods in his modern classic "Theatre of the Mind"....He also has a modified handling in his lecture notes.."Concepts and Deceptions" called "Untouched Card at any Number". You will need "Theatre" for a complete explanation...this is just an added touch. Also in these lecture notes, Barrie explains "The Lazy Man's Memorized Deck" which he developed for his son who wanted to perform "Card at any Number", but didn't want to memorize a deck. You will be able to put this principle into practice almost immediately. I purchased the notes from Richard Hatch at H&R Magic Books. He may still have some. Have Fun!!
Christopher Klocek
337 N Wood St
Griffith, In 46319
219-765-7123
troublewit@aol.com

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » March 11th, 2003, 11:50 am

Denis - thanks for the tip - but its not Slap Me Again. But Jennings must have had different versions of this plot. The end is the same - even down to the cover pass - but the first half of what I remember is much more simplified...maybe it was based on the clock trick principle...maybe it was published in Genii - I can't find it anywhere else...Richard?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 11th, 2003, 11:52 am

It doesn't ring a bell, however Jennings had many versions of his routines, usually those he worked through on the way to what he hoped would be a final solution. Anyone who saw him might well have seen different versions of the same trick on successive nights!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

David Mitchell

Postby David Mitchell » March 12th, 2003, 6:31 am

Didn't Stewart James have a bunch of solutions to this as well?

David.
David Mitchell

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » March 12th, 2003, 12:25 pm

For anyone interested, I've tracked down the Jennings routine - its Vanished Thought on the Paris Super Sessions video (vol 2) - its why I couldn't find it - I was looking for something written.

Its better than i remembered. A card thought of jumps to a position just thought of. And its all so clever and so clean. Heartily recommended as a good solution to this effect.

Postby Guest » April 20th, 2003, 11:28 pm

A memorized deck and a good estimation cut followed by a false shuffle or two (or a jog shuffle, loading a card or two if you have to) gets you there pretty simply 99% of the time.

Mike Powers
Favorite Magician: Gary Kurtz, Dave Williamson, Dani DaOrtiz, Juan Tamariz

Postby Mike Powers » April 22nd, 2003, 11:43 am

Ken Krenzel has an excellent approach using a gaffed card case.

Mike

Postby Guest » April 22nd, 2003, 11:47 am

Alan Ackerman performed it brilliantly one night at the Legends of Magic Convention outside Las Vegas in 2001. Check his material.

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » April 22nd, 2003, 1:04 pm

Originally posted by Mike Powers:
Ken Krenzel has an excellent approach using a gaffed card case.

Mike
Krenzels completely "non gaff" version from Ingenuities is also quite nice. Simulcrum Mirabilis I believe it's called.

Regal also has a decent version in Star Quality.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”