One of the best handling decks out there

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Jason Ladanye
Favorite Magician: Erdnase

One of the best handling decks out there

Postby Jason Ladanye » December 6th, 2020, 10:37 pm

Over the last decade, I've always been searching for cards that handle great. Turners are fantastic, Standards are hit or miss. Tally Hos lately have been a complete miss for me. Don't forget about Aristocrat playing cards! These cards are flawless! What's your favorite deck these days?

https://youtu.be/sMvx3PgSrXY

chetday
Favorite Magician: Jon Racherbaumer

Re: One of the best handling decks out there

Postby chetday » December 7th, 2020, 12:44 pm

I enjoyed watching your video. Nice work. I think I'll try a few decks of Aristocrats since I've never used them.

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » December 7th, 2020, 1:37 pm

Like Chet, I enjoyed watching the video. My favorite was the revelation of the four face up Kings together in the middle of the (otherwise) face-down giant table fan. I collect decks and a couple years ago, I purchased a couple of Aristocrat decks, including the green, on "spec." I was pleasantly surprised. A lot of the more expensive "custom" or "designer" decks I've acquired over the years do not handle as well. Very few decks out there are as good for fans, spreads and turnovers, faros etc. as Bicycles, but the Aristocrats are in the same league. Although there is a difference in the feel and handling between Bicycle and Aristocrats, which I believe is largely due to the difference in finishes (Bicycle = air cushion; Aristocrat = linen). The Aristocrats are definitely one of my favorites. But like so many things, for each individual, it comes down to personal preference.

When Bicycles are good, they're really good, but as Jason noted, Bicycle Standards are inconsistent (hit or miss), although I find the majority of the new Bicycle decks I open to still be quite good. IMO the Bicycle Rider Backs are of better quality and more consistent from deck to deck than the Bike Standards. Of course, like Bicycles, the Aristocrats are a product of the U.S. Playing Card Company, which generally amounts to good to excellent quality..
Last edited by MagicbyAlfred on December 7th, 2020, 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » December 7th, 2020, 1:48 pm

Alfred is spot on. A standard Bike is my current deck these days and it works fine. I don't do table riffle shuffle work so I don't need a high performance deck. With basic and intermediate sleights and moves, almost any deck this side of a plastic drugstore cheapie can get the job done. Unless you do Faro work.

iainduncan
Favorite Magician: Jared Kopf

Postby iainduncan » December 30th, 2020, 4:18 pm

Turners are the cat's pajamas for bottom up faros, straight out the box. For me they hit the balance of not raising suspicion vs handling great.

Chas Nigh

Postby Chas Nigh » December 31st, 2020, 3:06 pm

Right On! Aristocrats rule! Never opened up a fat one!

Return to “Close-Up Magic”