Amusing Slydini

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Gerald Deutsch

Amusing Slydini

Postby Gerald Deutsch » October 18th, 2020, 5:27 pm

I would like to relate how I, a student of Slydini, did an effect for him based on what he taught me and using Perverse Magic, I wanted to and did make him laugh.
I was at his home about to take a lesson when I told him I wanted to try something. He was, of course, sitting across from me.
I took one of his ashtrays, dropped a sugar packet into it, covered both with my hands and told him I would make the sugar disappear.
“Go!” I said.
I lifted both hands and the sugar packet was still there --- but the ashtray was gone!
“Oh, darn it!! I did something wrong.”
Slydini laughed. He was entertained.
What I did was:
1 I had a second sugar packet thumb palmed in my right hand..
2 When I covered the ashtray both hands were palmed down with the right hand (with the thumb palmed sugar packet below my left hand.
3 I used my third finger of my right hand (the “ring finger”) to “kick” the ash tray and the first sugar cube into my lap with my left hand blocking Slydini’s view.
4 I let the thumb palmed sugar cube fall to the table.
Good Perverse Magic!

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Re: Amusing Slydini

Postby MagicbyAlfred » October 19th, 2020, 9:51 am

What a wonderful story! And what a great memory that must be! Thanks for sharing it.

Edward Pungot

Postby Edward Pungot » October 19th, 2020, 2:39 pm

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » October 19th, 2020, 3:18 pm

Edward Pungot wrote:Reverse Retro Time Travel
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/39125090483147701/

Back when Gerald did the trick for Slydini, smoking was commonplace and socially acceptable, even indoors in public places, in cars, in planes etc. And, I could be wrong, but I believe that Tony, himself, was a smoker. I am assuming this from his illustrious cigarette routine. If I were going to do the trick I would use a plastic sugar bowl or receptacle, or something similar, like this: https://www.amazon.com/Honbay-Plastic-D ... =367173011

Not only is it more natural for a packet of sugar to be sitting in something like the above (as opposed to an ashtray), but something that is light weight and not large, bulky, or made of glass would work well for lapping, and just a flick of the ring finger, behind the cover of the other (front) hand, would do the trick.

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » February 15th, 2021, 11:45 am

I was having dinner with Slydini at a Chinese restaurant early in the evening so the waiters were not busy and, in fact, were all eating together at a table next to ours.

We were, of course, doing tricks for each other and the waiters noticed and were interested.

Slydini told me to “show them something” and so I went over to the waiters’ table and sat down, having no idea what I was going to do. I decided to do some Perverse Magic.

I picked up a spoon and said “Float” but it fell to the table. I tried again and the same thing happened.

The third time I lapped the spoon and when I said “Float” I – ad of course the waiters – were surprised when the spoon had vanished.

I went back to Slydini but as the waiters wanted more Slydini went to their table and “did his stuff”.

chetday
Favorite Magician: Jon Racherbaumer

Postby chetday » February 15th, 2021, 2:09 pm

Great stories, Gerald. I bet you have more of them, and I hope you'll share at least a few additional ones here in this thread.

Gerald Deutsch

Postby Gerald Deutsch » March 3rd, 2021, 10:59 am

Slydini and I had dinner together every week and we were close. When it came time for my son's Bar Mitzvah he had to be invited.

But that presented a problem.

I wanted him as a guest. i did not want to invite him so that he would feel that I did so for him to perform.

I told him that.

But knowing my friend I felt he might want to perform so I put a few silk handkerchiefs in my pocket "just in case".

During the party I noticed Slydini alone and looking sad so I went over to him and told him that if he wanted to do some magic that would be fine,

He lit up and smiled.

I reached for the handkerchiefs I had brought but Slydini brought his own and to the delight of all around he "did his stuff!"

Return to “Close-Up Magic”