Follow Up To Harry Lorayne's Mated

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Gerald Deutsch

Follow Up To Harry Lorayne's Mated

Postby Gerald Deutsch » September 27th, 2020, 11:57 am

Perverse Magic --Mated Follow Up

Background

In the event the magician decides that another effect may be appropriate
after doing Harry Lorayne’s wonderful effect Mated this might be
appropriate

Effect

1 At the conclusion of Mated, 4 cards are produced. Let’s say they are the 9D, the 9H, the 6C and the 6S.

The magician places the four cards into the deck and shuffles the deck.

“Watch, I’ll cut to these cards.

2 The magician gives the deck a few cuts and turns over the 6C. He turns the card face down and deals it to the table.

3 This is repeated and the 6S is cut to.

4 “Okay, now watch me get the two 9s.”

The magician tosses the deck from his right hand to his left and two cards remain in his right hand. The magician proudly turns them over

and – and he is surprised when the tow cards are not the 9s but the 6S and 6C.

Confused, he turns over the two cards that he previously cut to which he - and everyone else thought were the two sixes and they are the 9D and 9H.

“I don’t understand this at all,” says the magician, looking confused.

Method

The numbers below correspond to the numbers under Effect above.

1 The four cards are inserted halfway into the front end of the deck but in the following order – a 9, a 6, a 9 and a 6.

A Multiple Shift is performed and the four cards are brought to the top in the order above.

2 A false cut is done and then a Double Lift showing a 6. The card(s) are turned face down and the top card – supposedly a 6 but a 9 is dealt to the table.

3 The top card – a 6, is cut to the bottom. Then another Double Lift and another 6 shown. The card(s) are again turned face down the other 9 dealt face down to the table.

4 There is a 6 on top of the deck and a 6 on the bottom.

The deck is held in the right hand, thumb on top and fingers on the bottom. The deck is tossed to the left hand but the top and bottom cards are retained in the right hand.

Good Perverse magic.

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Re: Follow Up To Harry Lorayne's Mated

Postby MagicbyAlfred » October 1st, 2020, 2:26 pm

Very nice idea. Thank you. I would think this handling would also work well for a stand-alone multiple selection trick for 4 spectators. Of course, the cards would need to be inserted face-down so as not to be seen by the magician. This means that following the multiple shift, the selections would be on the bottom, but a simple matter to bring them to the top with, for example, an overhand shuffle or double undercut.

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » October 1st, 2020, 6:45 pm

Jerry, Is this the beginning of The Next Sixteen Years? :)

magicfish

Postby magicfish » October 12th, 2020, 12:17 am

John G. describes this handling in more than one routine in his One Degree. Powerful stuff indeed. I Like it as a follow up to Mated!
Thankyou for sharing this.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”