Best Non-Gaffed Packet Trick - Marketed

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Larry Horowitz

Re: Best Non-Gaffed Packet Trick - Marketed

Postby Larry Horowitz » August 26th, 2001, 11:23 pm

I have "Life, Death & Other Card Tricks" in my library. Mr. Neale is obviously a literate and imaginitive story teller. I have nothing against the idea of death being brought into the world of magic. Any theme which can tug at the emotional response of the audience can only make the magic more memorable. However,I did find the book tiresome to read, as all it's stories were downers.

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » August 28th, 2001, 12:45 am

Originally posted by Monty Godfrey:
"Too Many Cards" is indeed one of my favorites. One of our local card experts, Hank Miller, suggests starting with the five and ending with the ace as a better climax. Anyone out there perform it this way?

That's they way I've always done it. The card in play reinforces the number of cards...

Tom Stone

Postby Tom Stone » August 30th, 2001, 9:17 pm

Originally posted by Gordon:
Roy walton has published a great trick in his two volume trick books, "The Complete Walton". The trick is called "Oils and Queens"

I've played around a bit with Walton's "Oil and Queens", but I've never been able to figure out what the effect is supposed to be, so I've never perfomed it.
Though, around 1985-86 I performed an extended version by Stephen Tucker a few times (it was titled "So these must be..." from Spellbinder Special 3). But I soon retired it, as I couldn't understand the finale (the same as Oil & Queens).

I performed a version of Cascade by Terri Rogers for a long while (I think it was titled "Rainbow Cascade"), until I lost the cards.

These days there are only three effects in the packet trick genre that I perform frequently:
Dai Vernon's Twisting the Aces.
Daryl's Cardboard Chameleons
and Max Maven's B'Wave

And I've been thinking of taking a closer look at Tommy Wonder's "The Tamed Card"

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » September 1st, 2001, 12:58 am

The best non gaffed packet trick I ever saw was about a month ago at the Castle. A few of us were on our way in to see Paul Wilson in the parlor, and a few people spotted him at that little table just outside and asked to see a trick.

Paul took the four aces from the deck and did the Asher Twist to great effect.

Then he did Twisting the Aces, with a presentation designed to cancel the Asher Twist's method. After this the audience grabbed the cards to examine them.

Paul then took the cards back, did a simple count, and one card was face down. I'd been following along pretty well, but I missed this.

Then he counted them again and there were two down. With everyone burning him he counted a third time, no false moves, three down.

Then he made a fan of the three face down aces and waved it over the last ace, which turned face down.

Then he turned around the fan of three cards, and they were kings. There was a loud gasp, and not just from me. The lone face down ace was turned around and it was also a king.

Paul tossed the four kings to the table to stunned silence.

The method, which I eventually worked out, is brilliantly simple. It hasn't been marketed, but maybe Paul will include it in his upcoming book. It's extremely clever, even by Paul's high standards.

Pete

Postby Guest » September 6th, 2001, 11:18 am

I think it is good and important to think about life ,death and things that are deeper then just a bunch of elmsley counts, But A magician is not a foolish unsophisticated person just because this type of thing isn't his style, and often times when magicians do try to intigrate magic with stories and thought they come off as taking themselves far too seriously. Those are just my thoughts on the subject, please feel free to ignore them.

Noah Levine

Postby Guest » September 19th, 2001, 1:08 pm

I love Dr Daleys last trick. It gets such a strong reaction from laypeople.
"A bizarre Twist" goes down very well after "Twisting the aces" too.
Look! a four card act!
I Also think Elmsleys four card trick is great.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”