Prompted to Do an Impromptu (Card Trick)

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Re: Prompted to Do an Impromptu (Card Trick)

Postby MagicbyAlfred » January 26th, 2020, 12:25 pm

WOW a lot of really great tricks/ideas have been posted! I like Zigzagger's idea of using the rod from the Jumping Gems as a wand to give the spectator to wave, and then segueing into the Jumping Gems trick. It is always a professional touch to make a nice connection from one trick/routine to the next, and using a prop that's common to two or more tricks is a great way to do it.

Zig Zagger
Favorite Magician: Aldo Colombini

Postby Zig Zagger » January 26th, 2020, 3:26 pm

MagicbyAlfred wrote:WOW a lot of really great tricks/ideas have been posted! I like Zigzagger's idea of using the rod from the Jumping Gems as a wand to give the spectator to wave, and then segueing into the Jumping Gems trick.

Thank you very kindly, Alfred! :)

So here's my extra bonus, just for you: Show the rod as a regular mini wand, with gems on both ends on both sides. Proudly point out that over the years you have ascended through the ranks to the status of a full-fledged four-star magic wand holder. A beginner, however, would start with a blank rod (demonstrate it). But as your spectator friend has just accomplished a freakin' miracle, you promote him to honorary two-star status immediately (demonstrate). So he only needs two more stars on the back of the wand to catch up with you (show four again). End with the warning to always handle such a wand with great care, otherwise some stars may loosen and drop to the other end of the wand (demonstrate and "repair"). Tap your fist and make a palmed coin or sponge ball appear. Put the wand away and continue with your flow.

Performed like this, I feel there is no need to bring out the second or even third rod from "Jumping Gems". ;)
Tricks, tips, news, interviews, musings and fun stuff: Have a look at our English-German magic blog! http://www.zzzauber.com
Advancing the art in magic one post at a time (yeah, right!)

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » January 26th, 2020, 4:59 pm

Very nice!

performer

Postby performer » January 28th, 2020, 3:40 pm

I have never analysed why but my gut feeling is that it is best to avoid opening with a card trick. Call it a psychic vibe if you will. I believe that before the audience even sees a deck of card you should start with something else. I usually show Dotty Spots which is my favourite trick. It gets people on my side straight away. Sponge balls is a good opener too. Anything but a card trick and I have absolutely no idea why. Possibly because my card work is very strong and I want to keep my powder dry. Or maybe because with some people card tricks have a negative association until they see how good you are.

Of course on occasion for various reasons I have indeed opened with card work but even then I start with flourishes to gain attention. Somehow I feel that if you do card tricks you need to establish yourself first with something else. Then you can go in for the kill once you have established yourself.

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » January 28th, 2020, 6:05 pm

I always like to do some flourishes prior to doing an actual card trick. Of course, it is more optimal to do so when you have your own deck and it's in great condition, as opposed to the old, dog-eared, grimy deck someone might hand you under the conditions stated at the beginning of this thread. I am not of the school that avoids doing flourishes for fear that it will undermine the magic. I have no desire to act like I don't know how to handle a deck of cards. To a layman, flourishes are magical in themselves. Whenever I do a spread and turnover flourish (of course, you need a close up pad or table cloth), it invariably gets "ooohs" and "ahhhs." It establishes you, and makes them very receptive to seeing a trick. In so many cases, they've seen lousy and/or boring card tricks, poorly performed, so a well-done flourish or two primes the engine, as it were, and they have a whole different attitude towards you than they might otherwise have had. Pressure fans, giant fans, waterfall shuffles, faros, springing the cards, and one-handed riffle shuffles are always attention getters, and are popular with lay audiences, as well. Vernon said cards are the poetry of magic, and I agree, so I feel, why not display some aesthetically pleasing artistry with the cards? In moderation, I will hasten to add. Just my personal viewpoint...

performer

Postby performer » January 28th, 2020, 6:22 pm

Vernon may well have said that cards are the poetry of magic but in general he wasn't terribly keen on flourishes himself and preached against them despite the fact I have seen photos of him with bloody great big giant fans in his hands. And oddly enough I learned my most spectacular flourish (notis cascade) from a Vernon card book!
Come to think of it I vaguely remember that it was Hofzinser who said that card tricks are the poetry of magic but I may be wrong.

As for flourishes I have written extensively on the use of them in my Wit and Wisdom book which can be obtained here:
https://www.lybrary.com/the-wit-and-wis ... 23421.html

There are advantages to flourishes and disadvantages too.

I believe there are three categories of flourishes and each category deserves a separate treatment.

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » January 28th, 2020, 7:04 pm

Yes, you are right, Performer. The quote is attributed to Hofzinser. Shame on me!

Dave Le Fevre
Favorite Magician: Paul Megram

Postby Dave Le Fevre » January 29th, 2020, 5:48 am

performer wrote:I have never analysed why but my gut feeling is that it is best to avoid opening with a card trick
I have to agree. I think that fort many spectators, the response to seeing a deck of cards is to groan inwardly.

(However, in this case, the spectator has handed us a deck of cards, so it would seem strange to perform a non-card trick.)

performer

Postby performer » January 29th, 2020, 6:00 am

I have been doing magic for 62 years. I don't recall a single incidence of anyone handing me a deck of cards except of course for other magicians. I suppose I must have led a sheltered life. If however it ever did happen I would of course use it since tricks with borrowed cards are always more effective. However, if I could make an elephant appear by magic right in front of me that would be more effective too. Alas the opportunity for that is just as rare as somebody offering me a deck of cards to do tricks with.

I will concede that I have often performed magic without opening with or even including a non card trick in my work. I even used to do a night club stand up act consisting of only card tricks so I am certainly not averse to them. However, for most close up occasions my instinct is to open with something different.

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » January 29th, 2020, 9:29 am

In case anyone might be hesitant to post on this because the conditions stated were "someone hands you a deck...etc." (which admittedly is a rare occurrence), let's broaden it to include what you would do with your own cards (and even a packet trick you might carry with you), if someone asks you to do a card trick. I'm certain that a lot of the members on here have a pack of cards or packet trick with them, or at least near at hand, almost at all times. It's true in my case, and I always have one in the glove compartment of my car, which has proven to come in quite handy on occasion. (I read, BTW, that the late great Eugene Burger said he alway's carried the "Brainwave" packet trick in his wallet).

Joe Lyons
Favorite Magician: Wonder

Postby Joe Lyons » January 29th, 2020, 10:07 am

Doc Daley's last trick.

No set up or gimmicks required.
Spectators equate aces with magic.
It's quick. No time for them to get bored and if you need to go back to work, leave them with a card or just wanting more.
In their hands - magnifies the effect.
Great lead in to other card tricks.

"Packs small and plays big!"

Anthony Vinson

Postby Anthony Vinson » January 29th, 2020, 10:55 am

Joe Lyons wrote:Doc Daley's last trick.

No set up or gimmicks required.
Spectators equate aces with magic.
It's quick. No time for them to get bored and if you need to go back to work, leave them with a card or just wanting more.
In their hands - magnifies the effect.
Great lead in to other card tricks.

"Packs small and plays big!"

Bannon's handling - having the spectator cross their arms - is nice. I have used it to good success, though usually trend towards John G's handling from One Degree when there's a table available.

Av

Paco Nagata
Favorite Magician: Juan Tamariz

Postby Paco Nagata » January 29th, 2020, 7:29 pm

I love that Bannon version too.
I also like a lot a comical version in which the magician "explains how the trick is done":
He says: "what I really do is to take the second card like so... (the magician takes clearly the second from the top card and put it aside on the table) ... but I do it so fast that you can't see that movement..."
He do it again with the other card.
Finally, everybody (including the magician) assume that the red and black cards are exchanged. However, they see that they are not!
The magician shows himself confused.
A good "perverse magic" trick.
"The Passion of an Amateur Card Magician"
https://bit.ly/2lXdO2O
"La pasion de un cartómago aficionado"
https://bit.ly/2kkjpjn

Return to “Close-Up Magic”