Conflict in Story Effects

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Jason Ladanye
Favorite Magician: Erdnase

Conflict in Story Effects

Postby Jason Ladanye » February 4th, 2019, 3:49 pm

New blog is up! Read my take on conflict in story effects. You can watch how I do this in a recent performance of Ladanye's Ultimate Triumph.

https://www.cardmagicbyjason.com/confli ... y-effects/

https://youtu.be/WszXsYT1Jow

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Re: Conflict in Story Effects

Postby MagicbyAlfred » February 4th, 2019, 7:28 pm

I liked the piece on story effects and the performance was excellent and quite entertaining. The first time I've seen a multiple selection effect within the context of a story, and with a fabulous triumph effect thrown into the bargain. Remind me never to perform for your brother - he'a tough audience. Interesting that even your story in the routine was inspired by a story (i.e., the movie you saw and had to finish).

Fascinating to consider the analogy between a movie and a magic routine involving a story. So many times I've asked myself what is it about good movies, TV shows and literature that draw people in, and how can I apply that to my magic? The common denominator is the story - the plot, the characters, the building of suspense, conflict and resolution. Sometimes it's humor. But a story well told will captivate people. People are told stories from the time they are in the cradle, and they go back as a tradition to the cradle of civilization. I use them liberally in my own performances, e.g. Magician versus Gambler, the Twins Married to Twins routine, and one of my only originals, "How I Beat the House in Vegas." I also tell a story around my Triumph routine, as well, is in some non-card routines. I have found time and time again that the stories, which I always announce the title of before commencing the routine, are the most popular tricks with laymen I perform for. And they are, generally speaking, the most widely requested when people return to the restaurant or bar. They will have friends or family with them and often ask me to do such-and-such, generally remembering and calling the routine by name.

Good work, Jason!

Return to “Close-Up Magic”