Newspell by Martin Gardner

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
magicfish

Newspell by Martin Gardner

Postby magicfish » January 25th, 2019, 1:50 am

Gents,
I love this quickie from Mr. Gardner. It is a speller but not a lie speller- refreshing.
I learned it from Annemann's Card Magic.
Any fellow fans of this?

Mark Tams

Re: Newspell by Martin Gardner

Postby Mark Tams » January 25th, 2019, 6:59 am

Thanks for pointing that out . . . I've not seen that take on it. I'm a fan of Martin's material . . . and more importantly am grateful that I got to meet him a few times before his passing.

magicfish

Postby magicfish » January 25th, 2019, 8:32 pm

My pleasure, Mark. Keep an eye out for it. I think you'll like it.
You're a lucky man, I never got to meet Mr. Gardner. I heard a lot about him from time spent with Tom Ransom many years ago and I enjoy his books today.

Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Postby Joe Mckay » January 25th, 2019, 9:03 pm

Here is a card speller I like. It is clever but also a bit dumb.

It is a Bob Hummer idea. It is called The Puzzling Speller.

Have six extra cards that match your deck such that they spell out with 10-11-12-13-14-15 letters.

For example AC-6H-JS-8H-9D-QD.

Go through the deck and take out these cards as well and arrange them as above from back to face.

Put them on top of the deck with nine cards above.

On top of all that place the the six duplicates (in any order you want).

Okay - now cut off 27 cards exactly. You can spread through (5,5,5,5,5,2) if you want. Or just have a break under this many cards before the trick starts. Or have a crimp or step that you cut to.

From this packet of 27 cards - push off the top 6 cards and hand them to the spectator.

Have the spectator think of one of these cards and then give the small packet of 6 cards a shuffle.

These are placed back on the packet (of 21 cards) that you are holding.

Tell the spectator you will mix the cards some more. As you say this - deal the packet one at a time into a row of three face down piles.

Pick up the piles from left to right. The first going on the second and the combined two going on the third.

Repeat this twice more. This means you have dealt the cards out three times in total.

Now hand the packet of cards to the spectator and have them think of the card they thought of earlier. They don't have to say anything out loud.

You then have them spell to their card - one letter at a time.

On the final letter it will be his thought of card!

Return to “Close-Up Magic”