Sucker Punch Split Issues. Anybody else?

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
trickyfingers
Favorite Magician: Too Many!

Sucker Punch Split Issues. Anybody else?

Postby trickyfingers » January 1st, 2019, 1:47 pm

Hey all,
Hoping this is the right place to ask this.

I've got Sucker Punch from Mark Southwood, and while I love it, the more I use the split chips, the more issues I run into splitting them.

Many times, during routine, the coins 'stick' together and are difficult to separate. Usually, a quick spin on the edge will help, but when you're trying to show one in each hand, it can quickly ruin the flow and the smoothness when one of them sticks.

Anybody else run into this issue? Any suggestions on how to deal with this type of issue?

TIA!
Do you believe in magic?

Pete McCabe

Re: Sucker Punch Split Issues. Anybody else?

Postby Pete McCabe » January 1st, 2019, 3:01 pm

I had similar issues getting the coins to split easily. Sometimes while practicing I would have to push really hard, which looks lousy.

What works for me is just making sure my fingers are not too dry. Just breathing on my hands is plenty for me, so I haven't had to try any of the various fingertip moistening solutions like Sortkwik or Golden Touch lotion.

Hope this helps.

trickyfingers

Postby trickyfingers » January 1st, 2019, 6:38 pm

It doesn't seem to be my hands, they grip fine, but as you said the chip sticks when you try to move it.

I also have issues where they don't come together seamless and leave a flash of the color underneath. Do you get this as well?
Do you believe in magic?

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » January 2nd, 2019, 12:37 pm

I haven't had any problems with different colors being visible. I did have to practice a bit to make sure they line up properly, but more for the appearance of the edge than any color flash.

One thing I found was that if I was having trouble splitting, the harder I pushed, the more they stuck together. Now I try to use the lightest touch I can. I haven't had any trouble with this in a while, so it may just be a matter of getting used to it.

J-Mac

Postby J-Mac » January 6th, 2019, 12:44 am

Apply some clear PTFE tape to one side of each split chip. No one can see it but the chips will separate easily. Available at Amazon here: https://www.amazon.com/CS-Hyde-Opticall ... +ptfe+tape

Jim

trickyfingers

Postby trickyfingers » January 6th, 2019, 12:30 pm

Thanks for the suggestion J-Mac

I also found a very good solution last night when I was practicing. I was getting frustrated and wondered if it might be some kind of static charge because I couldn’t think straight. So I grabbed a Bounce Dryer sheet and rubbed down both sides of the chips. Smooth like butter!

I’m assuming that this will need to be done from time to time if they start to stick again, but man, what a difference!
Do you believe in magic?

Return to “Close-Up Magic”