China Doll

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Al Schneider

China Doll

Postby Al Schneider » July 26th, 2018, 3:37 pm

I need your help. I am presently writing articles for Genii. In general, each article is the presentation of an effect. And in general, each article presents something new or novel. Richard has asked me to include a video with each. This is quite difficult for me. While I go over the routine to be sure it is sound, actually making it airworthy is difficult. Doing the moves is not the problem. My art is what happens after the move. For example, the speed the hand moves after a move or the lilt in my voice at a particular point make my magic happen. Doing these is easy. Doing them at the right moment and tempo is what is difficult. Then real trouble comes when I add the patter. To do that right, I must repeat and repeat the routine until it is airworthy.

I have already done China Doll and I am curious if you, my dear readers, think it would be worthy of an article. I doubt it for many will consider the routine commonplace and the moves somewhat old fashioned.

However, an intense amount of energy has been invested into this clip. I have worked for years on the basic move. I finally came up with a novel way of doing the move which I think is very deceptive. It is not the same old handling. Furthermore, the motion of the coins has been carefully choreographed with the patter theme to make the flow very believable. I do not know if this has been successful.

So, my question to you is: what do you think of it and do you think it worthy of an article in Genii.

Here it is:
https://youtu.be/3wIWJ-cXjb4

Al
The single absolute truth is that we don't know.

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Re: China Doll

Postby Q. Kumber » July 26th, 2018, 4:08 pm

China Doll is a clear simple and direct plot. Studying it will teach a lot, not just technique, but misdirection. Not sure about calling the coin a doll, but other than that, it's excellent.

Edward Pungot

Postby Edward Pungot » July 27th, 2018, 2:09 am

The routine is excellent.
Plot: Three Americans seek the wisdom of the Eastern sage and gain enlightenment.

Lao Tzu, Daodejing

Do the difficult things while they are easy and do the great things while they are small. A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step.

Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.

Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished.

Al Schneider

Postby Al Schneider » July 27th, 2018, 7:40 am

As I have said elsewhere, I am not good with patter.
Mr. Pungot:
Your suggestion is very good. I like it.

A song is not a song until it is sung.
A dance is not a dance until it is danced.
A joke is not a joke until it makes someone laugh.
A magic trick is not magic until it amazes someone.
A man is not a man until he loves someone.
Beingness precedes doingness.
Existance requires doingness.
Happiness is nothing until one strives to accomplish.
All verbs are be, do, or have.
Al Schneider

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » July 27th, 2018, 8:49 am

Al -- The aspects of presentation you are considering are what makes your magic so effective. It is the Art, which is missing from so much magic today.

Your false transfers and Hang Ping Chien moves are nothing less than inspiring.

So, yes, please please please put these in the new Genii column.

Matt Field

Edward Pungot

Postby Edward Pungot » July 27th, 2018, 10:59 am

I am quite impressed and inspired by your poem. On the spectrum of "patter" it is very Western and lovely to read for someone like me who gets stuck in thought.

I too am looking forward to your installments in Genii. I may even have to renew my subscription. Thanks in advance for sharing your creations to the magic community.

Al Schneider

Postby Al Schneider » July 27th, 2018, 12:47 pm

Well, I think I have my answer from your very positive responses. I would like to share some of my thoughts with you.

I have been very heavily involved in theoretical physics, quantum mechanics, and computer programming. However, I have also been very involved with oriental thought as I am a serious student of Tae Kwon Do, Tang Soo Do, two hand, sword fighting, and one time I considered myself a Buddhist. I once considered the oriental way of looking at life superior to western thought processes. Now, it just doesn’t matter.

Kinda the point of this is to bring up one of the special characteristics of the study of magic. This phenomenon is strong in computer programming and magic. The phenomenon is the requirement to see two sides of the same thing. In computers the one side is what the programmer sees. The other side is what the user sees. These two views seem to be totally opposite from each other. Programming is based on do, if, then, or else. To the user, computers seem to think. Depending on how a human programs the computer, the user can be carried into some unique universe.

Magic is very similar. One view is the palm, trap door, wire, or false transfer. The other is what the audience sees. A magician can manipulate very mundane actions yet create wonders for the audience. In my view, the more the magician understands this, the better chance he or she has to create miracles.

And by the way, all of this is somewhat separate from this thing called entertainment. I focus on magic. I acknowledge those that invest their life in entertainment. Though I think they are linked, magic and entertainment are two separate things. I believe that simple technology can be very entertaining.

Thank you gentlemen.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”