Karl Fulves self-working card tricks: your favourites?

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
EndersGame
Favorite Magician: Tommy Wonder

Karl Fulves self-working card tricks: your favourites?

Postby EndersGame » March 26th, 2018, 7:18 am

Karl Fulves has written several great titles with self-working card tricks, some of which defy the usual stereotypes of mediocrity that are typically associated with that genre.
- Self-Working Card Tricks (1976)
- More Self-working Card Tricks (1984)
- Self-Working Close-Up Card Magic (1995)

There's some top notch material in these books. My personal favourites from Karl Fulves would include: Gemini Twins, Calculated Cut, Color Flite, Mind Mirror, Quick as a Wink, Ultra Coincidence.

I'd be interested to hear from others what they consider to be the top tricks in these books, and perhaps even some which they perform from time to time. Which routines in these books are your favourites?

Click here to see all my reviews: Magic Reviews Playing Card Reviews Board Game Reviews

Denis Behr

Re: Karl Fulves self-working card tricks: your favourites?

Postby Denis Behr » March 26th, 2018, 7:48 am

There are two more card titles in the series (and a compilation). Here is a listing of all five with the contents: http://www.conjuringarchive.com/list/se ... rking+card
It is indeed an interesting mix of things.

EndersGame
Favorite Magician: Tommy Wonder

Postby EndersGame » March 26th, 2018, 8:09 am

Thank you for that clarification Denis, and the helpful link. You are right that a complete list would also include these two more recent Karl Fulves titles:
- New Self-Working Card Tricks (Mar 2001)
- My Best Self-Working Card Tricks (Dec 2001)

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but aren't these two later titles considered inferior to the first three? Incidentally, the "New Self-Working Card Tricks" title is out of print, to my knowledge. And despite the title, the "My Best Self-Working Card Tricks" title is not a selection of favourite effects from his earlier books, but a collection of new tricks, is that right?

At any rate, I'm glad you mentioned these two, for completeness. By all means feel free to refer to favourite tricks from all five of these titles. I look forward to seeing which effects get recommended and mentioned by others.

Click here to see all my reviews: Magic Reviews Playing Card Reviews Board Game Reviews

Evan Shuster

Postby Evan Shuster » March 26th, 2018, 10:09 am

New Self-Working Card Tricks was republished along with More Self-Working Card Tricks, in a single volume titled Foolproof Card Tricks for the Amateur Magician.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”