Dean's Ring Trick

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
erdnasephile

Dean's Ring Trick

Postby erdnasephile » January 27th, 2018, 4:30 pm

I just saw this Dean Dill trick today and it really blew my mind: https://www.facebook.com/illusionworksh ... =2&theater

I miss Dean!

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Re: Dean's Ring Trick

Postby Leonard Hevia » January 27th, 2018, 4:54 pm

The trick isn't Dean's, it's actually from Slydini. It's described in The Magical World of Slydini.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » January 27th, 2018, 7:00 pm

Thanks, Leo. I pulled that book of the shelf, but I can't for the life of me find it.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » January 27th, 2018, 7:13 pm

That's the second time I've seen the clip. It's interesting how many of the little subtleties of the method layer on top of each other, that I missed the first time. A lovely piece of theatre.

Leonard Hevia

Postby Leonard Hevia » January 27th, 2018, 7:32 pm

erdnasephile wrote:Thanks, Leo. I pulled that book of the shelf, but I can't for the life of me find it.

Page 76. For some reason it's not listed in the table of contents for that chapter.

Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Postby Joe Mckay » January 27th, 2018, 7:37 pm

I was studying this trick a couple of weeks ago. I also stumbled across Dean's handling on Facebook.

What is neat is that Dean adds a couple of little tweaks that really sells the effect. It took me a couple of viewings to see the touches Dean added to this trick.

I was hoping to keep this trick hidden from other magicians. Can somebody delete this thread? :-)

Leonard Hevia

Postby Leonard Hevia » January 27th, 2018, 7:45 pm

Joe Mckay wrote:I was hoping to keep this trick hidden from other magicians. Can somebody delete this thread? :-)

The secret is safely hidden cuz it's published. ;)

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » January 27th, 2018, 8:03 pm

Thanks, guys (another magic history lesson!). Wow--that method is absolutely diabolical!

Pretty evil how Fulves and Slydini made it even more hidden by keeping it out of the Table of Contents! ;)

Leonard Hevia

Postby Leonard Hevia » January 27th, 2018, 9:41 pm

erdnasephile wrote:Thanks, guys (another magic history lesson!). Wow--that method is absolutely diabolical!

Pretty evil how Fulves and Slydini made it even more hidden by keeping it out of the Table of Contents! ;)

You're welcome E. Pretty darn sneaky to keep it hidden like that. Dean was a clever man, but then there was Tony...

Al Schneider

Postby Al Schneider » February 10th, 2018, 5:21 am

Hi
Don’t know if this is appropriate here but here goes.
I watched the Dill video of this trick and it really stumped me.
But, after watching it a few times, I got it.
However, things like this get my mind spinning.
Would it be possible to open this trick up making it cleaner?
Well, here is what I got.
Begin with a short glass that contains a 2 inch ring and a long length of thread.
Dump the stuff on the table.
Pick up the thread with your fingers holding the thread about a foot from each end of the thread.
The majority of the thread is a jumble on the table.
The right hand is holding the critical part of the deception. If you know the method of this trick, this will make sense.
Have the audience move the jumble of thread into the glass while you hold the thread up for all to see the ends dangling to your left and right.
After they put the jumble into the glass, the left hand picks up the ring and holds it above the glass. The right hand finger tips also grasp the ring. The ring is basically a loop of wire so the body is thin.
While the ring is held above the glass for momentary display, the right fingers slip and slide the thread to accomplish the desired effect.
Then the ring is dropped into the glass.
The audience is unaware the desired end has been accomplished.
The are however aware the ends of the thread have been in view.
Now, the left and right pull apart; pulling the thread out of the glass.
Thread is so long, the ends are dropped to left and right.
Continue this until getting to the thread near the ring.
The ring can be raised out of the glass revealing it is on the thread.
Well, I thought of this one night when I couldn’t sleep. Never did it. To busy with computer stuff.
Al Schneider
The single absolute truth is that we don't know.

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » February 10th, 2018, 6:01 pm

Al Schneider wrote: "...Well, I thought of this one night when I couldn’t sleep..."

It's funny because I often actually run through the handling of tricks to get myself to sleep. Works better for me than counting sheep. Now, come to think of it, I could combine the two if I used the "Thieves and Sheep" coin trick for anti-insomnia purposes. In any event, the handling that Al came up with and described in his post sounds quite creative, and yes, certainly more "open," and less contrived - in theory taking it from a puzzle to a magical effect. Would be interesting to hear about how it goes over in practice.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”