New Card Control - good for foulng fellow magicians

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

New Card Control - good for foulng fellow magicians

Postby Guest » February 18th, 2006, 9:57 am

Hello, all recently I came up with this new control based on kelly's bottom control and Paul Gertner's sort of same control as kelly but card steal. I just changed it all a little bit and made up this new control which brings the card to the top, in action of kelly bottom control. I hope everyone will like it, I am sorry that I do not have any way to record sound so that I could explain it as I made up the video, but I tried my best to give a vvery good idea how it is done. If you sttill have some questions and other ideas please message me.
Here is the link-

http://media.putfile.com/control4395

I posted this on Magic Cafe Forum and many people told me that i should contact Genii Magazine so that they can put it up in print so others can learn it too.

Thanks..

Bill Duncan

Re: New Card Control - good for foulng fellow magicians

Postby Bill Duncan » February 18th, 2006, 5:17 pm

For those who haven't seen it this is like the Irv Weiner "One handed Side Steal", except that it uses two hands, and mortal men can do it.

Good stuff Max!

George Olson

Postby George Olson » February 18th, 2006, 7:54 pm

Interesting. I taught the Kelly to one of our non-fingerflingers here, and independently he came up with almost the exact thing, and showed it to Jon Racherbaumer when he was attendening the Collectors Workshop/Joe Stevens magic event a goodly number of years ago.

Don't be discouraged, keep thinking! Breakthroughs are always occuring...

Lee Asher

Guy Hollinsworth

Reed Mclintock

all twisting their little hearts out; and we're all better for it!

GO

Charlie Chang

Postby Charlie Chang » February 19th, 2006, 9:58 am

Manipulating a card around a packet like this has been done before. An important credit would be Eric Mason's Topsy Turvy colour Change (Stuff pg. 59). There's also a one handed colour change in Erdnase that is related if technically different.

A member of the magic castle junior program (whose name escapes me for the moment) has been doing a very similar but much more refined version of what you are doing for several years. He has many applications including the one demonstrated on your video.

P

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Postby NCMarsh » February 19th, 2006, 10:36 am

While there are, apparently, precedents; I think that the move looked very good in your hands during the performance section of the video. While others had the idea first, which makes it not "yours" for publishing purposes, the idea is a good one and that you arrived at it independently bodes well for your future. Best of luck and keep at it -- I look forward to seeing what you come up with as you develop further.

Best,

N.

Postby Guest » February 19th, 2006, 1:05 pm

Paul--The Magic Castle Junior Member you are thinking of is Chad Nelson. Chad has been doing this for quite a few years now and you are correct in saying that his handling is more technically refined. Chad's handling allows for much more control. Also, he has many, many applications and effects utilizing the idea. I believe he has plans on releasing them eventually.

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » February 19th, 2006, 9:50 pm

Originally posted by bgoodwin:
Chad's handling allows for much more control.
Could you clarify what you mean by "much more control"?

Charlie Chang

Postby Charlie Chang » February 20th, 2006, 2:25 am

Thanks Bill - it WAS Chad who showed it to me (blanked on his name for some reason).

Send me a quick email when you get a chance - I have something for you.

P

Postby Guest » February 20th, 2006, 6:38 am

Bill--Hello. It's hard to talk about without giving away Chad's techniques, but he can bring the card to the top and still continue to hold the deck from above. He doesn't have to place the deck into the other hand or drop the palmed card on top. He has precise control over the moving card at all times and can do the whole thing with one hand only. He also has some work on eliminating the noise problem associated with the move. Don't know if this helps or not.

Jon Racherbaumer

Postby Jon Racherbaumer » February 20th, 2006, 10:17 am

This move reminded me of Marlo's Bluff Kelly, which he actually got away with doing...With the deck in your left hand, riffle down about halfway, and then apparently lift the top portion to show the face card to the spek.

In reality, lift only the top card. Show the face.

The bold and tricky part is the replacement. Marlo had a way of making it look like you are executing the Helly-Ovette Move when putting a SINGLE CARD back onto the left-hand cards.

He would say, "I'm having trouble with the Bottom Placement..."

Then he would show the top card, adding: "...the selection keeps going to the top!"

Just a thought...
Sure solves the "noise-factor"...

Onward...

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » February 20th, 2006, 10:42 am

BillG,
Thanks. That clears up the "control" question but now it's starting to sound like the Irv Weiners' one handed side steal.

I assume Chad's work differs in some way? Hopefully in making it easier to do than Irv's method.

What I find appealing about the control Max posted is that it's deceptive, looks less "clutchy" than the Ovette/Kelly move and is relatively easy.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”