Having Gimmick Coins Signed

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
fredreisz
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon

Having Gimmick Coins Signed

Postby fredreisz » October 15th, 2016, 10:03 am

Please excuse this "amateur-ish" question on Coin Magic. I am primarily a close up magician who does very little coin magic. I have a show coming up for a Coin Club. I want to perform a magical experience with a TUC coin. However, the gimmick has to be signed. When you are having a gimmick coin signed which you have to use repeatedly (you do not give it away). What is the best method to do the signing so that you will be able to erase the initials after the effect is over and reuse the gimmick as an unsigned coin?

I know that you can use permanent marker then go over it with a dry erase marker. Then most but often not all the marks come off.

I know that I could put a sticker on the gimmick coin and then have that initialed. However, I do not like that extra step if I can avoid it.

Is there a substance that will remove the signature on the gimmick coin?

Thank you for any advice. This is a very simple issue that coin magicians must solve all the time but I have not been able to find a recommended solution.

Peace..Fred (Reisz)
"The art of magic is the magic of art."

Tom Frame
Favorite Magician: Del Ray

Re: Having Gimmick Coins Signed

Postby Tom Frame » October 15th, 2016, 11:22 am

Fred,

Have you tried a cheap, non-permanent marker? If you structure your handling to ensure that neither you nor your participant touch the signature, it will remain "wet" during your performance. Afterward, simply wipe the ink off of the gimmick.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 15th, 2016, 12:58 pm

I think you can use a Sharpie. Because metal is not porous, certain chemicals can remove the mark.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » October 15th, 2016, 2:25 pm

Rubbing alcohol (isopropyl) or acetone will take off sharpie ink.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”