Question about P & L Copper Cups

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
erdnasephile

Question about P & L Copper Cups

Postby erdnasephile » September 15th, 2016, 10:31 pm

Does anyone own a set of copper P & L cups? If so, I have a question please.

I was wondering if these cups were originally manufactured with lacquer coating.

Many thanks!

Tom Gilbert

Re: Question about P & L Copper Cups

Postby Tom Gilbert » September 16th, 2016, 1:02 pm

If you don't get a reply here, head over to the C&B museum and ask Bill Palmer. The info might already be on his website.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » September 16th, 2016, 2:20 pm

Thanks, Tom: I did check the C & B museum first, but while there are some examples of P & L copper cups pictured, it is not mentioned whether or not the copper is lacquered.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » September 16th, 2016, 3:11 pm

Ah...Tom's Internet Kung Fu is clearly superior to mine and he discovered that the original cups did come lacquered. (although some copper sets were silver inside instead of bare copper). Thanks, Tom!

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Postby Ted M » September 16th, 2016, 7:41 pm

My copper P&L cups are lacquered (to my dismay -- I was looking forward to them developing a patina), and they look silver inside.

Per your reading, is this actual silver, or just silver-colored metal? (Would a link be available?)

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » September 16th, 2016, 8:06 pm

Ted M wrote:My copper P&L cups are lacquered (to my dismay -- I was looking forward to them developing a patina), and they look silver inside.

Per your reading, is this actual silver, or just silver-colored metal? (Would a link be available?)

Hi, Ted:

On the outstanding Cups and Balls Museum site http://www.cupsandballsmuseum.com/ there are pictures and descriptions of many P & L sets. A set like the one you describe is pictured within.

In terms of the silver color on the inside, I don't know for sure what that color is from. I did come across this thread http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view ... &forum=115 and there is a post by Mr. Palmer regarding why some P & L cups ended up silver on the inside. (Although this would not seem to apply to your cups if they are solid copper).

BTW, if you don't like the lacquer, a plating or silversmith shop can apparently remove it for you. I also think there are sites on the web that have directions on how to remove it yourself as well.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » October 13th, 2016, 2:36 pm

As an FYI, the metal shop was able to strip off the old lacquer. The cups polished up very well after that.

BEFORE: (the lacquer had turned a burnt orange color)

AFTER: (Sorry, couldn't figure out a way to rotate the image)

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » October 13th, 2016, 3:28 pm

Nice. Good job. Patina looks good, but I do like shiny cups.

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » October 13th, 2016, 10:30 pm

The P & L Anti-Gravity cup?

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » October 14th, 2016, 7:13 am

Leonard Hevia wrote:The P & L Anti-Gravity cup?

Hah! :D

I am aware of the issue with EXIF tags and earlier versions of Windows; however, on my Windows 10 computer, the photo appears right side up, and the photo also appears correctly my image hosting site. However, once the photo is imported to GF, the image flips. I tried to rotate the photo before uploading, but GF ignored the EXIF metadata and displays the photo upside down. Need someone with superior computer Kung Fu to sort this for me.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”