business card tricks

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Countelmsley

business card tricks

Postby Countelmsley » October 18th, 2004, 7:15 pm

For a while, I ve been using david Acer s 'Nomen Omen' to give out my business cards when doing table magic. The two predictions are written on the backs of the cards; its a good and subtil way to leave a couple of cards on the table. Killer trick, by the way. Highly recommended! But now, Im trying to find some new ideas to leave my cards. A quick trick for leaving my card without seeming too ... pushy. You know the feeling? Any ideas? Thanx a lot.
http://www.geocities.com/larrybarnowsky/kotr1.htm
www.geocities.com/larrybarnowsky

Re: business card tricks

Postby Guest » October 18th, 2004, 7:33 pm

hey, IF i can remember correctly,
in Mike Skinners 3 Card Monte or any monte that works the same way (ie. Bammo Card Monte)
you can bring a few envelopes with you as you put the cards back in the envelope and seal it, have 3 buisness cards in another identicle envelope in your pocket.
casually then say "you can even try this at home and see if you get the same effect as i did" and hand it out to one of the audience members.
(of course handing the buisness cards :D )
it might sound a bit vauge as i dont know the method off by heart as im not really old enough to do Street or buisness magic as of yet.
what do ya think?

Peace,
Grant

Tabman

Postby Tabman » October 18th, 2004, 8:15 pm

I've been doing "Business Card Prophesy" out of _Effective Card Magic_ by Bill Simon (pub. 1952 by Louis Tannen) for some time now. In effect, you write a prediction on the back of your business card and then get the spec to initial the front. Then the spec inserts it freely into a deck of cards and after a little byplay its revealed the spec inserted the business card right where you've predicted. Subtle and easy to do too. I like the book so much I've got two copies!!! Illustrated by Dr. Jaks too!!

-=tabman

Countelmsley

Postby Countelmsley » October 19th, 2004, 10:22 am

Grant, I love the idea of giving a sealed enveloppe containing business cards; pretty smooth, isn't it?! I can just adapt it to any packet trick I do. And Tabman, as for "B.C. Prophecy", I'm ashamed to say I' ve never ever tried the trick on anyone, even though I' ve known it for 10 years! Must be that part of me who just doesn't want to bother with "easy as hell" moves and tricks. I know, I know! What a stinking attitude...! But I think I should give it a try, at least once, to see the reactions. Honestly, I' ve had trouble with the "displacement" move. Kind of like the "cross cut" force... Seems too obvious to me. TO ME, that is. Probably not to the laymen.
Thanx.

Tabman

Postby Tabman » October 19th, 2004, 11:03 am

sebastiantalbot reveals: And Tabman, as for "B.C. Prophecy", I'm ashamed to say I' ve never ever tried the trick on anyone, even though I' ve known it for 10 years!
I do it at the studio when somebody asks me about the magic stuff on the walls of my office and wants to "see a trick." It's funny, I felt the same way you do but regular non magic types don't seem to notice that the card gets displaced in such a simple way. That little bit of business about checking the signature, etc seems to do it. It's amazing but they don't catch the subtrafuge!!!
-=tabman

Postby Guest » November 23rd, 2004, 6:55 am

I've been using the BCP for years and I've yet to have a layman notice the displacement. It seems to help to separate the two block of cards and then talk about the visible signature and about how you'll be turning over the bc so they can see you actually wrote a prediction, but won't give them enough time to read the prediction, etc. The combination of focusing their attention on catching a glimpse of the signature and the time delay after you've separated the two blocks provides sufficient misdirection that they neither remember the original position of the cards nor realize you've done anything other than reveal your prediction. It's simple magic that plays really strong!

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » November 23rd, 2004, 7:44 am

Originally posted by -=tabman:
...It's amazing but they don't catch the subtrafuge...
What subtrafuge, you just turn the card over. Right? ;)
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Tabman

Postby Tabman » November 23rd, 2004, 8:45 am

Originally posted by Jonathan Townsend:
What subtrafuge, you just turn the card over. Right? ;)
Right!! or did I misspell subtrafuge???
-=tabman

Ricky Difeo

Postby Ricky Difeo » November 23rd, 2004, 9:11 am

Hi!

Another effect are:
In BOOK Totally Out Of Control (Chris Kenner), for presentation.-

And, Zennerphobia in BOOKLET Psichomancy, OF David Britland, with drawing Circles, squares, and other symbols, in the reverse of card bussines.

Chau. :)
Ricardo Difeo

Postby Guest » November 23rd, 2004, 9:39 am

Check out David Harkey's book - Simply Harkey. Several ingenious business card applications from a brilliant mind.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » November 23rd, 2004, 12:06 pm

I believe there was a book put out a few years ago which was all tricks with business cards.

Also, there's the Stockholder wallet and any number of Mike Close routines. Apocalpse had a few ideas, Sankey has a 'card stapled to the deck' routine, and there's a similar Marlo routine that is waving from the deeper corners of my memory (Almanac somewhere?)

Hope that helps,

Take care, Ian

Countelmsley

Postby Countelmsley » November 23rd, 2004, 12:33 pm

I' ll be sure to check those out. Thanks.

Frank Starsinic

Postby Frank Starsinic » November 23rd, 2004, 1:01 pm

Originally posted by -=tabman:
I've been doing "Business Card Prophesy" out of _Effective Card Magic_ by Bill Simon (pub. 1952 by Louis Tannen) for some time now. In effect, you write a prediction on the back of your business card and then get the spec to initial the front. Then the spec inserts it freely into a deck of cards and after a little byplay its revealed the spec inserted the business card right where you've predicted. Subtle and easy to do too. I like the book so much I've got two copies!!! Illustrated by Dr. Jaks too!!

-=tabman
I do this often as an opener. Almost always for a lady. It's great.

Bob Alan

Postby Bob Alan » November 23rd, 2004, 5:53 pm

Originally posted by Ian Kendall:
I believe there was a book put out a few years ago which was all tricks with business cards.Also
I think it's from Ken de Courcy and the title is "My Card Sir"

Bob Alan

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » November 23rd, 2004, 11:59 pm

OK then, there's two books :) I'm fairly sure it's not by de Courcy. I do remember it being reviewed by Mick Close, so if anyone has 'In Review' it should be easy to track down.

Take care, Ian

Bob Alan

Postby Bob Alan » November 25th, 2004, 5:41 pm

Originally posted by Ian Kendall:
OK then, there's two books :)
And the second one is may be: Business Card Miracles by Jon Jensen published i think in 1998.
Bob Alan

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » November 25th, 2004, 10:29 pm

If you do an out-to-lunch based business card trick, check out the metal business-card clip Doc Eason sells.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » November 26th, 2004, 9:33 am

The idea of switching gaffed cards for business cards is Mike Close's. It is a brilliant idea, especially since after finishing the gaffed card trick, you can say to the audience: "I bet you'd like to take these cards home and try this yourself."

At this point, you pop them into the envelope, seal it and hand it out. When they open it, they find your business cards.

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » November 27th, 2004, 4:24 pm

The book Ian referenced was probably the one written by Ernie Heldman, published by Lee Jacobs. I don't know where you'll find it.

The later works by C.L. Boarde contain a number of mental effects with business cards. Alberstat has those. Well worth the money for all of the above.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » November 28th, 2004, 4:46 am

I'm pretty sure Bob's right about the other book. I saw it in San Francisco, and I was there in 98 so the dates would match.

Take care, Ian

Postby Guest » November 28th, 2004, 5:29 am

Michael Ammar and Mark Wilson both did a video/DVD on Business Card effects. Both cost about $30 each. Check out their sites...

Jon

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » November 28th, 2004, 8:26 am

If anyone wants the Ammar Business Card Miracles DVD, paypal me five bucks for postage and it's yours.

Yes, it _is_ that terrible.

Actually, best mail first, in case I have to refund the PP to anyone (in the unlikely event that more than one person actually wants this turkey).

Take care, Ian
m@gician.info

Perhaps I'm being harsh - the DVD has a lot of trailers for other L&L DVDs where you get to see David be David and get to find out what Harry Lorraine actually sounds like. But it's still not worth it.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » November 28th, 2004, 10:23 am

And, amazingly, someone _did_ want it. What a muppet :)

Take care, Ian

Postby Guest » November 28th, 2004, 11:19 am

Check out my (new) "After-Afterburn" clip...
Click here to see it

This is my (home brewed) version of Jim Pace' "Hot Leads" (formally known as 'Afterburn')

Jim's effect is SUPERB, but reset was/is a prob.

My version (which is explained in my "Connjuring" notes) can be built for $5 and allows you to repeat the production up to 10 times.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”