"This beats them all!"— Doc Eason

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Bill Mullins

Re: "This beats them all!"— Doc Eason

Postby Bill Mullins » February 5th, 2016, 4:33 pm

JonKamm wrote: Ive been banned from the Cafe twice.

Well, in that case we take it all back.

observer
Favorite Magician: Harry Kellar - Charlie Miller - Paul Rosini - Jay Marshall

Postby observer » February 5th, 2016, 6:01 pm

Bill Mullins wrote:
JonKamm wrote: Ive been banned from the Cafe twice.

Well, in that case we take it all back.

Second that.

You should get "Inner Sanctum Acolyte" or something displayed under your name when you post here. Well, maybe that would be too Magic-Cafe-looking. But congratulations anyway.

And sincere best wishes for Toibox.

BillMorrison

Postby BillMorrison » February 5th, 2016, 7:50 pm

I'm a "magician who buys tricks." Should I be insulted?

I also buy books with tricks in them. And read magicians' forums. I even sometimes buy and read magazines targeted toward magicians.

How much of a second-class citizen am I? I just want to know so I don't stink up the place.

performer

Postby performer » February 5th, 2016, 10:09 pm

Only banned from the Cafe twice? That is a mere nothing....................

performer

Postby performer » February 5th, 2016, 10:36 pm

Naturally my opinion on this matter would be absolute gospel but alas I am not able to express it because I can't understand what the bloody trick is about. Something about a box and people examining it or something. I have tried rereading Jon's original post and I still have no idea what he is trying to sell.

Just as I was about to grasp it I became distracted by Alfred saying that horrible book by Henning Nelms is a "must have" book" I consider it a "must not have book" and I have been biased against it my whole life. When I was young and stupid I believed every word in it and it damn near gave me a nervous breakdown trying to implement what it said. Thank God I realised in time that it was a complete load of tosh and I was highly delighted to find out years afterwards that Nelms had never done a magic show in his life and was talking out the back of his neck the whole time. I was further delighted to read that veteran and highly respected pro magician Geoffrey Durham AKA "The Great Sorprendo" state that the book was "sterile and unhelpful"

Still, that is another subject entirely and I had better not go off at a tangent. Somebody explain to me what this bloody trick is about or post a video of it or something. I had better find out what all the fuss is about before I comment. I will merely say for the moment that I DO find that laymen like to examine things although in a professional setting you have more leeway for not letting them do it. The trouble is that if you don't let them do it they might get suspicious concerning the prop. Of course that may be a good thing because of the too perfect theory.

Anyway I have no idea what I am babbling about and will have to reserve judgement until I can figure out what the product actually is. The copy of the ad must be bloody awful if I have gone over it several times and still can't figure out what the damn product is. The testimonials are very effective though although I never believe a word of the testimonials I read. I know perfectly well it is friends recommending friends and the mutual admiration society at work.

I shall comment once I know what I am commenting about.

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » February 5th, 2016, 11:08 pm

Performer, old chap! I was almost on the verge of posting a where the h - - - are you message, when I saw that you had not only suddenly appeared, but done so in significant part to totally trash my sterling recommendation of Nelm's book. You know, it's OK, I won't take it personally. I am sure that those who have read your latest post will definitely avoid ever picking up a copy of the book like the plague, and that those who have the misfortune to own one will immediately burn it and seek counseling. After all, you have established yourself as a most astute critic in your post with statements such as: "I have no idea what I am babbling about." But you know, I have missed you lately, I really have, and I would much rather have you tell the whole bloody international magic community that I am daft, than to have these long disappointing gaps where I see no posts from you. And that is the gospel truth!

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » February 5th, 2016, 11:43 pm

And PS, Performer, it is probably to Nelm's credit that he never performed a magic show in his life. Is it not you who have steadfastly advocated that the very last people we should listen to are magicians?

JonKamm

Postby JonKamm » February 6th, 2016, 12:17 am

performer wrote:Naturally my opinion on this matter would be absolute gospel but alas I am not able to express it because I can't understand what the bloody trick is about. Something about a box and people examining it or something. I have tried rereading Jon's original post and I still have no idea what he is trying to sell.

Just as I was about to grasp it I became distracted by Alfred saying that horrible book by Henning Nelms is a "must have" book" I consider it a "must not have book" and I have been biased against it my whole life. When I was young and stupid I believed every word in it and it damn near gave me a nervous breakdown trying to implement what it said. Thank God I realised in time that it was a complete load of tosh and I was highly delighted to find out years afterwards that Nelms had never done a magic show in his life and was talking out the back of his neck the whole time. I was further delighted to read that veteran and highly respected pro magician Geoffrey Durham AKA "The Great Sorprendo" state that the book was "sterile and unhelpful"

Still, that is another subject entirely and I had better not go off at a tangent. Somebody explain to me what this bloody trick is about or post a video of it or something. I had better find out what all the fuss is about before I comment. I will merely say for the moment that I DO find that laymen like to examine things although in a professional setting you have more leeway for not letting them do it. The trouble is that if you don't let them do it they might get suspicious concerning the prop. Of course that may be a good thing because of the too perfect theory.

Anyway I have no idea what I am babbling about and will have to reserve judgement until I can figure out what the product actually is. The copy of the ad must be bloody awful if I have gone over it several times and still can't figure out what the damn product is. The testimonials are very effective though although I never believe a word of the testimonials I read. I know perfectly well it is friends recommending friends and the mutual admiration society at work.

I shall comment once I know what I am commenting about.

Card chosen, ends up in mint tin. No gimmicks. What you learn is a series of sleight of hand utility moves that allow you to create routines never possible before. Think Okito coin box for cards. Moves are designed around a specific style and size of tin. (Altoid Smalls .5oz Tin). Routines are incredibly clean, strong and versatile. All moves and routines were created and honed over a 20 year career in restaurant and bar magic.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 6th, 2016, 12:55 am

And with that, we are done here.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Return to “Close-Up Magic”