Brass Ring Box Help..........

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
mehtas

Brass Ring Box Help..........

Postby mehtas » October 20th, 2015, 1:38 pm

Hi,

Just got this brass box in a job lot.

Looks similar to "Sing Sing Ring Box" apart from the fact that the lid is much taller and in the base there is a slotted cushion. The base has the same circular pattern as the top of the lid.

I haven't got instructions for this and I don't want to force anything open.

Does anyone know about this prop and the working of it ??

See picture.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Re: Brass Ring Box Help..........

Postby Dustin Stinett » October 20th, 2015, 2:11 pm

It could be a top-load or a bottom load. Either way, the flat part of the top or bottom is likely held snuggly in place by a rubber O ring.

Bottom load: Push down on the cushion to dislodge the bottom piece. (In your pocket you would load the ring into the cushion and just push the bottom up into the box.)

Top load: From the INSIDE of the lid, push outward against the top. It will come out without much fuss. (This is usually how coin boxes of this style work, which explains the height. Is the box wide enough to fit a 50 cent piece? It would go into the slot edgewise. I used to have one a lot like it, so this is your best bet.)

Either way, the gaff seats back into place easily. It should be machined in such a way that you cannot push it too far in when doing so.

Regardless, to "sell" this, play up how long it takes to unscrew the lid. It's a key part of the psychology of this piece.

Hope this all makes sense and is helpful.

mehtas

Postby mehtas » October 20th, 2015, 2:25 pm

Thanks Dustin.

I've tried to force hard from the inside of the lid so my guess is its the bottom gimmick. I don't want to press the cusion too hard. maybe if I insert a flat object via the slit and push, it might dislodge the gimmick.

i've used a "Sing Sing Ring Box" before and only a gentle push removed it in that item.

It is something that I've never seen before.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » October 20th, 2015, 11:40 pm

mehtas wrote:Thanks Dustin.

I've tried to force hard from the inside of the lid so my guess is its the bottom gimmick. I don't want to press the cusion too hard. maybe if I insert a flat object via the slit and push, it might dislodge the gimmick.

i've used a "Sing Sing Ring Box" before and only a gentle push removed it in that item.

It is something that I've never seen before.

Yes--this looks like a knock off of the old Johnson Products coin casket. You basically push down IN the slot of the cushion with a popsicle stick/tongue depressor to remove the bottom so you can load the coin. Don't push on the cushion itself.

Dustin is correct, the high pitch of the screw on lid is a big part of the mystery of the box as far as the spectators are concerned. However, it also means dead time to fill as the lid is unscrewed.

BTW, the best routine I've seen for this prop is the one that Mike Caveney published in MagiComedy (that uses a very clever Michael Weber idea to make loading easier and seem more impossible). There is also a nice John Mendoza finale to his CSB routine that uses the prop.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”