colour-change knives paddle move

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

colour-change knives paddle move

Postby Guest » December 5th, 2003, 5:11 am

I've just begun work on a colour change knives routine. From what I can tell, there are two main approaches to the paddle move with knives:

1. do the usual paddle move. Knife is held towards one end between thumb and first two fingers.

2. Knife lies across all four fingers, held in place by the thumb. As the wrist twists to show the 'other' side, knife is rotated between the thumb and middle finger alone. In the blurb that came with the knives there is a warning against using the 'regular' paddle move, presumably due to the risk of flashing.

I'd be interested to hear other people's thoughts/preferences, and suggestions if any.

Stefan Sprenger

Re: colour-change knives paddle move

Postby Stefan Sprenger » December 6th, 2003, 2:53 am

Well if you want to learn something about color changing knives you might want to look for two books!

Sonata by Juan Tamariz (unfortunatly hard to find since out of print)

The other one is "Penknives and Daltonism" by Ascanio.(i do not know if this is still available?)
Cheers,

Stefan

Postby Guest » December 6th, 2003, 8:16 am

I second the Tamariz suggestion; and the Stevens Magic Emporium Juan Tamariz video has a demonstration and explanation of a Tamariz routine (that takes its name from the Ascanio book).

I do not believe that the Ascanio book is available in English (if you need an English version). You may, however, be able to locate a small book by Jose de la Torre called "Ascanio's World of Knives," which has at least some of the Ascanio work on knives in English.

Russell Davis
Favorite Magician: Fred Kaps

Postby Russell Davis » December 6th, 2003, 2:44 pm

A very natural handling of the gimmicked knife is to hold it in the middle (rather than an end) while doing the move, keeping the knife itself mostly in the same area before and after the turn, so the spectator doesn't have to follow the knife as if you're swatting flies. It looks very fair, innocent, and aboveboard.

And the secret turning of the knife can be done VERY slowly, so slowly that it could easily be seen by someone in the know.

Among other sources, Merrill's Knife Book has some good information, as well as a bibliography of over sixty more sources!

Russell Davis
Favorite Magician: Fred Kaps

Postby Russell Davis » December 6th, 2003, 2:45 pm

A very natural handling of the gimmicked knife is to hold it in the middle (rather than an end) while doing the move, keeping the knife itself mostly in the same area before and after the turn, so the spectator doesn't have to follow the knife as if you're swatting flies. It looks very fair, innocent, and aboveboard.

And the secret turning of the knife can be done VERY slowly, so slowly that it could easily be seen by someone in the know.

Among other sources, Merrill's Knife Book has some good information, as well as a bibliography of over sixty more sources!

thumbslinger

Postby thumbslinger » December 11th, 2003, 4:21 pm

another way is to use two hands which can enhance the effect as well though technically, youre doing the same move.

Begin with gimmick knife in left hand holding it between the tips of your left second finger and your left thumb on the ends of the knife. (as if you were going to spring cards. Approach with your right hand and seize the knife in the middle and give it one flip. Your left hand then re-grabs it after the one turn.

Check out the Shattered video at elmwoodmagic.com or search for Shattered. The demo video shows the move and its a good one to start with to add variety.
Hey....hey.. it's just for fun, next lifetime you won't even remember who you were.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”