Magic for Deaf People ?

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

Magic for Deaf People ?

Postby Guest » September 26th, 2006, 7:51 am

Hello

I have soon an event for a Deaf audience. (+100)
I wanted to know if some of you had experienced doing close-up magic for Deaf People.

I would probably think of doing visual close-up... but wanted some feedback from you guys,

thanks
Jacky
www.magicbooks.be

Glenn Farrington

Re: Magic for Deaf People ?

Postby Glenn Farrington » September 26th, 2006, 12:29 pm

I've had quite a bit of experience working at a deaf college in Washington DC on many occasions years ago, but I'm sure my experience back then would still serve as some what of a guideline today.

If you're working with an interpreter, you must remember to stagger how you speak. Meaning, rather than talking throughout your tricks as we all have come a custom to, never speak when you are doing something visually magical. This is because they need to look at the interpreter signing while you are speaking and would miss all or part of the magical moment you want them to see. NOW...as I have learned you can use this to your misdirection advantage. It's built in. I would, at the end of my sentence glance over at the interpreter. All eyes, including those that were reading lips would glance over a that moment as well...do the dirty work here. Timing is important here, since many deaf people can sign quicker that you can I can speakso based on how they sign, you can time your glance.

Remember that the other senses they have are extremely heightened, all movement that would fly past normal lay people will not fly past them. So make sure your hidden movements are tight and effortless (natural).

Also for this very reason anything you can do in their hands plays huge (coins, sponge balls, reaching into their clothes and pulling out a vanished silk using your tt, etc). Anything that allows them to interact goes over much stronger than other lay crowds.

If there is no interpreter I use to do the following:

Whenever I started close up for a group I would always start by asking, "How is everyone". Even though I was doing this to come off polite and personable, there was a hidden agenda. This usually would allow you to be able to tell who can read lips and at the same time for those who can read lips it lets you know who is only comfortable with signing or head movement reactions and who can speak. Those who can speak. Their voices may sound different and it sometimes takes a few moments for it to sink in what they've said. So it may be wise to limit what they can say to you as yes or no answers or close to it.

Now since there will always be a few who cant read lips, after you've read the crowd with your first questions immediately sign with a smile "I'm sorry...How is everyone today"

Now this leads me to the most important part:

When you go to another country, out of respect you always try to learn some of their language for basic communication...this is no different. Learn to sign a few phrases that you will need to use. This comes in to play whether you have an interpreter or not.

After I asked how everyone was in sign...I would then sign a quick opening talk (and remember to speak what you are signing). "My name is Glenn and I'm here to perform some magic for you, so lets get started and have some fun"

Learning an opening talk and a few phrases will not only improve your performance but also how they look at you as a person.

Have fun, I hope this helps.

I will be in Belgium next year with my family. I would love to hear all about your gig over mussels and pommes frites at the Grand Place.

Glenn Farrington
Comedy's Easy...Dying Sucks.

Postby Guest » September 26th, 2006, 12:37 pm

Thanks Glenn for the information and nice suggestions!

Yes, call/mail me when you're here!

all the best
Jacky
www.magicbooks.be

Richard Perrin

Postby Richard Perrin » September 29th, 2006, 11:26 pm

I am a deaf magician. Hope you have a special button or pin that you're a magician and they can see that you're a magician. Or you can do body gessure <sp> by acting like a wizard does. Or you can show your mini magic wand to ID that you're a magician!

Let me know how your performing with deafies!

Good Luck

Postby Guest » October 3rd, 2006, 12:42 am

I have performed for deaf teenagers on a number of occasions. I had a chance to get acquainted with some of them, and one thing they told me stuck with me. Many deaf people dislike those of us who can hear because they think that we think they are stupid or ignorant because we can hear and they can't. Your attitude will be one of the key factors in how they take you.

At the Texas Renaissance Festival, once a year we had a special day for deaf people. They got in free, and there were interpreters at each of the main stages. The interpreters used to pull seniority on one another to get to work my show, because I played with them, instead of pretending they weren't there.

One line I used (which I cleared with the interpreter beforehand) was "Ladies and gentlemen, today we have an extra cast member on the stage with us. This is our interpreter (insert name). We have a large number of hearing impaired people in the audience today, and (name) will be interpreting for them. Just one thing, though. Much of what I do depends on spoken comedy...so if I'm not funny...it's (name's) fault!"

The deaf people thought this was very funny. And it also made the hearing people more comfortable with them.

Richard Perrin

Postby Richard Perrin » March 19th, 2008, 3:45 am

Jacky,
Just wondering how was your performing goes with deaf people. I assumed that you "forgot" to "report" since we haven't heard from you.

Irving Quant

Postby Irving Quant » March 23rd, 2008, 2:30 pm

I would assume that anything of a silent act would work on this?
I would be stumped if it were magic for the blind! But then again, that can be solved also. I'm too interested how his performance went!

magicbar

Postby magicbar » May 25th, 2008, 5:03 am

easy... IB AEKNEE OB EWE WAN TOOO ELP UBP OWNE STAEJ JUSSSRAEZ EURE HHAENDUH!!!

seriously folks..I did some kid b-day parties for deaf and disabled. just be direct. point alot when giving directions, use expressive facial gestures and be understanding that they are not only enjoying the magic but also enjoying someone being considerate and giving special attention to their disability. they are only deaf, not stupid.

patter is not as necessary as with the hearing audience just have a visual logic to the effect - imagine doing a trick for someone across the room and they have to watch you rather than hear you. they have learned cognitive ability that enables them to fill in the blanks caused by lack of hearing.

as for perfoming for the blind..blindness ranges in severity from partial to total. again, they are not stupid just blind. because of this do not underestimate their sense of touch or imagination -tap into those and you will get responses like you have never received from audiences with merely normal vision.

PMS

Postby PMS » January 23rd, 2010, 12:42 pm

Although an old thread, you could incorporate the silent treatment by John Allen in a routine. Just modify it by having a card forced from a normal deck.

Jon Allen

Postby Jon Allen » January 25th, 2010, 7:49 am

I don't see why The Silent Treatment needs to be modified. It works perfectly for deaf people as is. One modification you may wish to make from the standard routine is to insert the additional cards that are provided. They offer the person thinking of a card to visually let you know which card they are thinking of instead of telling you.

PMS

Postby PMS » February 5th, 2010, 9:48 pm

Jon,
Just a personal preference.

Richard Perrin

Postby Richard Perrin » February 6th, 2010, 1:07 am

Deaf people like being fool by magicians! They really enjoy the visual things. Pattern seems okay if someone can understand you and will sign to deafies. You will be just fine with those people.

Richard Perrin

Postby Richard Perrin » December 22nd, 2010, 2:39 am

Just wondering... anyone here (readers of this forum) has been performing front of deaf people? I have notice myself performed shorter than "normal" people because of the patterns become less when perform to deaf since it is hard to sign while I'm holding something with my hands during performing. I was watching David Blaine performing to deaf couple and asian guy on Travel Channel... Oh, this is a perfect example by gessure with face expression! Love to hear from you if you had this in the past! Richard K., since you're in DC... I assume that you have performing one or more magic to deaf people.

I may return this topic in future unless somebody respond.

Sorry, off the topic but just wondering.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”