Jim Swain, Natural Double Lift

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Carl Mercurio

Jim Swain, Natural Double Lift

Postby Carl Mercurio » May 23rd, 2003, 9:24 am

To those of you who saw Jim Swain on the CBS Morning Show, did my eyes deceive me or did he do an absolutely perfect natural double lift (i.e., pushing two cards as one without a break and flipping them face up in alignment). Only a roughed card would have looked cleaner. I can do the natural double in perfect alignment seven out of 10 times, and only because of years of practice doing a push-off second deal. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the natural double lift a Ken Krenzel concept?

Scott Fridinger

Re: Jim Swain, Natural Double Lift

Postby Scott Fridinger » May 23rd, 2003, 10:23 am

I don't believe you are wrong, there is a natural double lift as you described in the Card Classics of Ken Krenzel by Harry Lorayne, I just re-read through it two days ago. It is the first thing in the book and also included is the natural Multiple lift.

Scott

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » May 23rd, 2003, 2:48 pm

When was Jim Swain on TV?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 23rd, 2003, 3:21 pm

Swain was on CBS this morning with Steve Forte a few weeks ago (May 4th?).
The Natural Double Lift has angle problems. Steve Draun has a version in his book, and I have an even better version by Jennings in "Mr. Jennings Takes it Easy." As to whether Swain can do Double Pushoffs with no break ... it's certainly possible. Other people can.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Paul Cummins

Postby Paul Cummins » May 23rd, 2003, 11:23 pm

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
As to whether Swain can do Double Pushoffs with no break ... it's certainly possible. Other people can.
He can.

pduffie

Postby pduffie » May 24th, 2003, 2:37 am

Hi Richard,

You said:

'The Natural Double Lift has angle problems.'

Is that what you meant to say? Or did you omit the word "no"?

Temperance

Postby Temperance » May 24th, 2003, 6:02 am

The natural double lift is the best double lift in existance I've never experienced any angle problems with the move. Maybe you're doing it wrong Richard. ;) Practice some more you'll get it eventually :)

--Euan

Carl Mercurio

Postby Carl Mercurio » May 24th, 2003, 12:41 pm

I was able to take another look at that CBS segment, and yes, Jim does a natural double. Slowing it down, the breach was about a thirty-second of an inch, which is really quite a lot when you think about it. But it just goes to show you how effective these things can be in real time, at the right tempo, and in capable hands like Jim's. Natural double here I come!

Postby Guest » May 24th, 2003, 9:20 pm

Ross Bertram has an absolutely beautiful, because utterly natural, handling of a push-off double that requires no get-ready. It is in BERTRAM ON SLEIGHT OF HAND under "Push-Offs and Push-Overs," item C (page 95). I think it has been largely overlooked.

I had the opportunity to spend some time with David Ben several weeks ago, and I have to say, among all the wonderful things he was doing, this handling of the turnover really stood out. It simply looked like thumbing over the card and flipping it over. The most deceptive element is that it is done from a LOOSELY held deck, like the second method for the push-off second deal in Erdnase. David taught me the technique and then pointed me towards the book.

I am utterly converted to this method now.

Interestingly, I did notice that Swain had a wonderful push-off turnover, in watching him do a version of Poker Interchange on his videos some years back. In fact, having learned this Bertram double, I've now put Poker Interchange in my repertoire; it's perfect for that application. --Ezra.

Alpen

Postby Alpen » May 25th, 2003, 8:44 pm

I think that when Richard said angle problems, he was referring to the fact that it is well covered for people on the right side, but not for people on the left. Since in he description of the sleight, the cards are not necessarily pushed over together as in a double push-off, but more relaxed as in the thumb contacts one cars, then the other one. This might be seen from the left side.

In fact, I believe Krenzel suggested using the back of the right hand for cover by turning a bit to the left. This said, while the technique and thinking behind the move is excellent, I'm not sure I would want to have to turn my body sleightly to one side to cover the possible flashing of a double lift.

Alpen

Alpen

Postby Alpen » May 25th, 2003, 8:54 pm

I think that when Richard said angle problems, he was referring to the fact that it is well covered for people on the right side, but not for people on the left. Since in he description of the sleight, the cards are not necessarily pushed over together as in a double push-off, but more relaxed as in the thumb contacts one cars, then the other one. This might be seen from the left side.

In fact, I believe Krenzel suggested using the back of the right hand for cover by turning a bit to the left. This said, while the technique and thinking behind the move is excellent, I'm not sure I would want to have to turn my body sleightly to one side to cover the possible flashing of a double lift.

Alpen

Temperance

Postby Temperance » May 26th, 2003, 12:48 am

re the angle problems

If you do a slight neck-tie as you do the lift it's covered from the left side aswell. Plus you don't need to turn to the left or cover with your right hand. Note a slight neck-tie

--Euan

pduffie

Postby pduffie » May 26th, 2003, 3:46 am

Thanks for clarifying that Alpen. I thought we were talking about perfect push-offs. Richard mentioned Steve Draun's Double Lift. I can't lay my hands on the book right now, but I think that's a perfect push-off.

Regards

Peter

Carl Mercurio

Postby Carl Mercurio » May 26th, 2003, 7:51 am

That's right. The natural double as described in the Krenzel book is much more loose in terms of the push off. What Jim was doing, and what seems to me to be angle proof, is doing a push-off in alignment as if you were doing a push-off second deal, and then simply flipping the double up. You really can push two cards with a breach of a 64th of an inch or less, which appears to be all you need (all you need!!!) to make this effective.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”